Birth Pool resources and information - Page 5 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#121 of 234 Old 03-02-2008, 10:11 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
When you say to turn your water heater up, how high exactly do you mean? We normally keep ours at 120, and I told DH I thought we should turn it all the way up (150), and he got worried. He thinks that's too hot, and it's not safe to leave it that hot between now and the birth because that temp can burn someone too quickly (we have a 2.75 year old). Is 130 or 140 hot enough? What do most people do?
#122 of 234 Old 03-03-2008, 10:40 AM

I just wanted to add my review. For my first HB we rented the big birth tub with the heater and high (thin) sides and it was great. For my second HB I bought the $25 inflatable fishy pool and it was AWESOME!!!!!!! The inflated bottom and WIDE sides were wonderful and cushy. I wasn't in it long enough to need to adjust the temp, but we had a bucket handy to take out and add water and I think that would have worked fine. I recommend it!!!!
#123 of 234 Old 03-06-2008, 01:04 AM

I bought a water birth tub and ended up in it for only 20 min (my labor was only 2 hours total) but the water was so worth it! :::

Mama to 2 girls (5&2) and Married to my love (7yr)
#124 of 234 Old 03-06-2008, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watermama05 View Post
When you say to turn your water heater up, how high exactly do you mean? We normally keep ours at 120, and I told DH I thought we should turn it all the way up (150), and he got worried. He thinks that's too hot, and it's not safe to leave it that hot between now and the birth because that temp can burn someone too quickly (we have a 2.75 year old). Is 130 or 140 hot enough? What do most people do?
I turn my heater up to wash the diapers and have been known more than once to forget it's all the way up. No one has ever been scalded here, though. DS doesn't want to play with the hot water and isn't really allowed to play in the sink without supervision anyway. As far as baths and showers go, we all adjust the temp as we go same as we do when the heater is set at a normal temp. Maybe it's just our water heater, but it takes it a long time to get to an unsafe scalding temperature. As long as you are at the faucet waiting for the heat, you should be fine. But, you might have a nicer & faster water heater than ours?

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
#125 of 234 Old 03-23-2008, 05:59 PM

Okay I read through the first few pages and didn't see this asked, sorry if it's a repeat. Do I need a liner for my kiddie pool and if so, where to buy?
#126 of 234 Old 03-23-2008, 07:47 PM

No, you don't need a liner, but if you want one there's a link to everything in Post #2.
#127 of 234 Old 03-23-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
No, you don't need a liner, but if you want one there's a link to everything in Post #2.
Thank you.
#128 of 234 Old 03-25-2008, 03:03 AM

: I read this whole thread today and I loved it!

7th Heaven here we come! Due date early May
#129 of 234 Old 03-28-2008, 04:51 AM

If you are due in winter and want to use a kiddie-type pool, buy it early. Our midwife recommended one of the kiddie pools which was only about $25, but I was due in January and by the time I went to order it, everyone was sold out until February because it's a seasonal item. We ended up having to spend the $100 on the La Bassine. It worked really well, but I think the Kidddie pool would have been just as good for a lot cheaper.

Oh and we used the white RV hoses and it was fine.
#130 of 234 Old 03-31-2008, 02:52 PM

We borrowed a 150 gallon stock tank from our MW. She told us that we need to buy a 6 ml plastic liner for it (elbows go through the 4 ml apparently). This will cost approximately $60.00 from the big box and I'm concerned about the chemicals it might introduce to the water. Does anyone know of any alternatives? If I'd known it would cost this much I would have purchased a pool that we could use again....still might do that!

TIA,

Rain
#131 of 234 Old 04-02-2008, 09:25 PM

I would imagine you could use the pool liner linked in Post #2 in a stock tank. It's only $19.
#132 of 234 Old 04-19-2008, 12:33 AM

I read through about 90% of this thread and I could not find an answer to my question.

Do you use just plain tap water or can you add something like epsom salt or lavender oil? I thought it might help me relax but I don't know how that would work for the baby and I want to be safe. I have the Birth Pool In a Box. TIA

Jessica
#133 of 234 Old 04-19-2008, 01:57 PM

You just use regular tap water or well water - whatever your house has. you can add a cup of salt to kill germs if you want.

Some birth books advise against using scented oils because some women find the odors offensive during labor, but I don't think it would hurt the baby.
#134 of 234 Old 04-24-2008, 02:31 PM

Quote:
For those of you with low water pressure that won't operate a Python pump, here is a much cheaper alternative to a regular submersible pump that you can attach to your hose:

It is MUCH less expensive than that one above from the waterbirth website:

Aquarium Pump
So you would put this in the pool? Would it attach to my python hose or would I need one specifically for the pump?

Mom to DS1, DS2, DD1 and DD2! h20homebirth.gif
#135 of 234 Old 04-24-2008, 08:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzmin View Post
So you would put this in the pool? Would it attach to my python hose or would I need one specifically for the pump?
I was wondering the same thing. If you get that pump, what else do you need besides the pool, a tarp for underneath and a cover? Do you get the same hose/faucet adapter as the python?

student momma to two great girls

#136 of 234 Old 04-24-2008, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Yes, it is submersible (meaning you put it into the pool under water) and you attach your Python hose to it when it is time to drain. The pump is electric and that is what drives the water through the hose and out of the pool. The only thing is that you might need a small hose clamp, if the diameter of the hose was bigger than the place where it attaches to the pump, but you can get one of those for about $1 at any hardware store.
#137 of 234 Old 05-18-2008, 06:02 PM

Thought I would share something I discovered. Adapter G , for the python drain and fill, is two pieces. I couldn't get it to fit on my faucet, went to the hardware for another adapter, and the man helping me informed me that the plastic adapter screws apart to reveal another size hole.

#138 of 234 Old 05-19-2008, 12:39 PM

Are any of the pools lead-free vinyl? I assume the run of the mill fishy pools are not. But maybe some of the birth pools are? Or the liners? DH is very worried about this.
#139 of 234 Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Are any of the pools lead-free vinyl? I assume the run of the mill fishy pools are not. But maybe some of the birth pools are? Or the liners? DH is very worried about this.
The Birth Pool in a Box is made from pthalate-free PVC/vinyl. They don't mention lead, but do mention certification in the EU and the US, both of which restrict lead. I agree that I'd be more concerned (on all counts) about the cheaper pools than ones specifically made for birthing like the BPIAB.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#140 of 234 Old 05-19-2008, 09:56 PM

For those of you with low water pressure, how long did it take to fill your birth tub? My water pressure is low enough that I cannot get the reverse suction to work on the python drain and fill. Luckily, we are having the pool on the second floor and I can pop the hose out the window to drain it. But I am concerned that it will take wayyyy to long to fill the pool up. I just let the water run for 30 min and it didn't fill but a few inches. I am seriously considering using the outside spigot to fill and adding boiling water to warm.

#141 of 234 Old 05-20-2008, 11:40 AM

Where is your pool located in your house? WHich sink are you using? That is definitely not normal to only be filled a few inches after 30 minutes. Is it a 100 gal pool or a 200 gal pool? I would not use the outside spigot becuase boiled water would not be enough to warm up cold outside water. If you have everything on one floor, I would try to use the hookup for your washing machine to fill the pool - it would have better pressure and be hotter too. You can always drain it in another sink or out a door or window without the Python pump.
#142 of 234 Old 05-20-2008, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Where is your pool located in your house? WHich sink are you using? That is definitely not normal to only be filled a few inches after 30 minutes. Is it a 100 gal pool or a 200 gal pool? I would not use the outside spigot becuase boiled water would not be enough to warm up cold outside water. If you have everything on one floor, I would try to use the hookup for your washing machine to fill the pool - it would have better pressure and be hotter too. You can always drain it in another sink or out a door or window without the Python pump.
The pool will be in my living room. I have one of those split level homes where the kitchen, bedrooms and living room are upstairs and the garage, den and family room are down stairs. The washer and dryer are in the garage, so using that hookup is not an option.

I have a 100 gallon fishy pool that is going to be upstairs (I do not want to birth downstairs). I was thinking of filling the pool 1/4 of the way with cold water from outside and then the rest with hot water from the sink. At least the first 1/4 would be in the tub fast. My MW also mentioned that adding boiling water would not be enough to warm the outside water, so I figured using both sources would help somewhat.

#143 of 234 Old 05-20-2008, 03:18 PM

It is supposed to be filled 1/4 way with cold wwater first anyway, so I guess using your outside hose for that will help speed things along. But, definitely make sure your water heater is turned waaaayyy up a couple weeks beforehand. At least you have a 100 gal. pool - that will help. It will probably take an hour. Mine took 30 minutes with normal water pressure.
#144 of 234 Old 05-20-2008, 03:44 PM

Quote:
It is supposed to be filled 1/4 way with cold wwater first anyway, so I guess using your outside hose for that will help speed things along. But, definitely make sure your water heater is turned waaaayyy up a couple weeks beforehand. At least you have a 100 gal. pool - that will help. It will probably take an hour. Mine took 30 minutes with normal water pressure.
Wow, 30 minutes, I must have looow water pressure. An hour or so is doable, I was worried that it would take like 3 hours with how slow if filled last night.

#145 of 234 Old 05-23-2008, 09:44 PM

Quote:
You just use regular tap water or well water - whatever your house has. you can add a cup of salt to kill germs if you want.
I've read this before on MDC and I'm curious why people think that a cup of salt in a pool will kill germs? I'm a scientist and to grow germs (bacteria) we add salt -- they need it! In fact, they'd much prefer water with a little salt than plain water! It is true that lots and lots of salt would kill germs. BUT that amount would be closer to one cup of salt in one gallon of water, not 100 gallons (or even more, I'd have to do the calculations). And then it would be so salty that any cuts on the mom (or the baby!!!) would be very, very painful.

Perhaps a little salt makes the water 'feel' smoother or better or the mom's skin wrinkles a bit less? I've not tried a WB (yet) so I don't know, but I would not believe that it kills germs.

Just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea! (and not that you should be really super concerned about germs in a waterbirth anyway...)

peace and happy birthings,

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#146 of 234 Old 05-23-2008, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runner29 View Post
I've read this before on MDC and I'm curious why people think that a cup of salt in a pool will kill germs? I'm a scientist and to grow germs (bacteria) we add salt -- they need it! In fact, they'd much prefer water with a little salt than plain water! It is true that lots and lots of salt would kill germs. BUT that amount would be closer to one cup of salt in one gallon of water, not 100 gallons (or even more, I'd have to do the calculations). And then it would be so salty that any cuts on the mom (or the baby!!!) would be very, very painful.

Perhaps a little salt makes the water 'feel' smoother or better or the mom's skin wrinkles a bit less? I've not tried a WB (yet) so I don't know, but I would not believe that it kills germs.

Just don't want anyone to get the wrong idea! (and not that you should be really super concerned about germs in a waterbirth anyway...)

peace and happy birthings,
This is great information and thanks for sharing! I think it's so awesome we have MDC to share and post information

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#147 of 234 Old 05-27-2008, 12:09 AM

I just want to make sure. For the Python hose, I will need the hose, faucet pump and "C" flow switch open/close and that's it? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3922 right?

I have a utility sink that is already has threading on the outside (nothing to unscrew at the spout). The pump will screw right onto it, correct? Also, what is the "C" flow switch used for exactly?

BTW- My local Petsmart only carries the Python kit, no individual parts. I'm going to call Petco tomorrow. If not, I'll just order online.

Edited to add this diagram from Python which I found very helpful:
http://www.pythonproducts.com/repparts.html

My question is then, why do we need "C" flow switch open/close?

Tina - mama to DD1 10yrs, DD2 5.5 yrs and DD3 22 mo and wifey to DH.
#148 of 234 Old 05-27-2008, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by treehugginhippie View Post
I have a utility sink that is already has threading on the outside (nothing to unscrew at the spout). The pump will screw right onto it, correct? Also, what is the "C" flow switch used for exactly?

My question is then, why do we need "C" flow switch open/close?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...fm?pcatid=3922
No, the pump will not screw onto the utility sink threads directly. You have to have a faucet adapter to attach the pump.

Perhaps you have confused part "C" for the part you REALLY need: part "G," the faucet adapter? That is what allows you to connect the pump to your sink, as shown in the illustration in "H" in the link above.

Those threads on your utility sink most likely DO disconnect, and you can see an example of this in the photos in post #104. You may have to use pliers.

I am curious where you got the notion you needed the flow switch "C" as that's never been mentioned here?

At any rate no, you don't need that part.

You only need the pump, which has a valve at the bottom that rotates into a 'closed' and 'open' position for the water flow.
#149 of 234 Old 05-27-2008, 11:44 AM

StacyL, in your first post to this thread you say that adapter C is needed. On the diagram you have linked, C is the switch adapter. I know this confused me at first too.

Treehugginhippie, the Petco in my town sells everything individually, so maybe yours does too.

#150 of 234 Old 05-27-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
StacyL, in your first post to this thread you say that adapter C is needed. On the diagram you have linked, C is the switch adapter. I know this confused me at first too.
A ha! Good catch - -that explains it!

THis thread is very old, and over the years some of the links have become defunct and I've had to update them. The text naming part "C" must have been for the original link, which died about a year ago and I had to update it. Must've forgotten to change the text accordingly.

It's all fixed now in the original post #2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page