Birth Pool resources and information - Page 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#181 of 234 Old 02-02-2009, 06:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm thinking of buying the 450 model on this pump (http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...01&pcatid=4601). Would this work to drain my sevylor birth pool?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#182 of 234 Old 02-05-2009, 08:23 PM

Can anyone tell me if I need to do something with the hose prior to using it to fill the pool. The hose I bought is just a standard 25ft. RV water hose. I just don't know if it needs to be disinfected or at least have water ran through it prior to filling up the pool.

Thanks for any help!
#183 of 234 Old 02-05-2009, 08:29 PM

Sorry, I can't answer your question, I'm having hose issues myself. I'm planning on pouring some vinegar into my hose & then running water through it for a bit before using, but it's not a new hose.

I can not find, anywhere (except online & I think I'm out of time to have it shipped to me now) a drinking water safe hose. Actually, I'm having trouble finding a hose, period, at this time of year. I think I'm going to have to go with a garden hose that my mom gave me a few years ago. How bad is it, really, to use a regular hose?

mom to all boys B: 08/01ribboncesarean.gif,  C: 07/05 uc.jpg, N: 03/09 uc.jpg, M: 01/12 uc.jpg and far too many lost onesintactlact.gifsaynovax.gif

#184 of 234 Old 02-05-2009, 08:43 PM

I'm not sure if you are a believer in bleach but my MW said that one way to just disinfect my regular outside hose was to soak it in the bathtub with hat water and bleach and to make sure that I got the water syphoned into the entire hose. I wasn't sure about it since we have a pretty old hose. Maybe you could soak yours the same way but use vinegar.

I bought my hose at Walmart in the section that has the RV/car supplies. It is 25ft and only cost $10.

Anyway....I hope someone can help us!
#185 of 234 Old 02-08-2009, 12:25 AM

Does anyone know - Do the Aquadoula liners fit the 100 gallon Rubbermaid "stock" (horse trough) tubs?

Autumn (1990) Blake (1993) Zoe (2001) Dmitrios (2002) and William (April 2009) born still @ 39 wks - my 4ever
#186 of 234 Old 02-08-2009, 10:02 PM

I'm having adaptor issues also!

My kitchen sink is one of the fancy hose pull out things, and when you unscrew the top part from the hose it LOOKS like it will fit the adaptor, but they just don't quite match up.

In my bathroom, they faucet seems so seamless we can't find a way to pull any tip off.

What's the next step? I'm 36 weeks now I have to figure this out!!!!
#187 of 234 Old 02-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Ugh, we're feeling desperate! We're down to 2 options, duck tape and more and more and more duck tape to connect the faucet hose to the regular hose, or buckets! So annoyed with how much money we've spent! There don't seem to be any adapters for my kind of sink and my bathroom faucent tip is really on there too tightly to budge.
#188 of 234 Old 02-10-2009, 09:12 PM

I don't have an answer for you Altair, but you are inspiring me to get going on my trial run! I'm worried about the volume of my hot water tank not being enough...

DS 12/22/05 and DD 5/24/09
#189 of 234 Old 02-11-2009, 01:10 PM

Altair~ Will your hose reach to a washer connection or to the water heater itself?

You can unhook the washer from the hot water spout and use that as your hook up and then add cold water.

Your water heater probably has a spout on it that you can use to drain the heater. You can hook your hose directly to that and just drain it into your pool.

I hope something works for you!
#190 of 234 Old 02-11-2009, 07:00 PM

thank you, we'll try that on our trial run!
#191 of 234 Old 02-12-2009, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
I'm having adaptor issues also!

My kitchen sink is one of the fancy hose pull out things, and when you unscrew the top part from the hose it LOOKS like it will fit the adaptor, but they just don't quite match up.

In my bathroom, they faucet seems so seamless we can't find a way to pull any tip off.

What's the next step? I'm 36 weeks now I have to figure this out!!!!
I hooked the hose up to the faucet for my bathtub and found that I needed an adaptor for the adaptor. I first needed and 15/16' adaptor to make the threads external and then needed a 'female adaptor' to be able to screw the hose onto it.

I also tried hooking the hose up to the pipe that comes out of the wall for a shower head and the utility tub in our laundry room. Just two other ideas if you haven't already thought of them. Hope you find something that works soon.

I recently changed my username, but I still say "Hello" to all those who know me in real life! Hi P, S, T and K!
#192 of 234 Old 02-23-2009, 06:05 PM

Update: Yay!

So after scouring Lowes and Home Depot and talking to everyone there, we really couldn't find anything for our particular faucet, because it has a hose already on it in a substandard size. (And our bathroom faucet tip couldn't be pried off, we had a bunch of people try) So when we did the trial we just ducktaped the hose to the hose for cold water, and went directly to the hot water heater for the hot water. not too bad.

BUT then we went to a little family run hardware store-- and they had this awesome adapter that goes AROUND any size faucet, threaded or not! It's black rubber on that side and then has a little screw that you tighten to make it fit! Perfect!
#193 of 234 Old 03-18-2009, 08:32 PM

I've been through this whole thread and haven't found an answer to this one, so forgive me if I missed it, but...

Did any of you have your DH/DP or another birth assistant actually IN the tub with you? If I want that option, I'm assuming the smaller fishy pool is pretty cramped for two (fine if he's hanging out over the side), but does it seem worth it to deal with the extra hassle of filling a larger pool and keeping it warm? (We live in a triplex and I'm hoping against hope that we aren't trying to fill the tub when our other renters are trying to shower! )

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#194 of 234 Old 03-18-2009, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altair View Post
Update: Yay!

So after scouring Lowes and Home Depot and talking to everyone there, we really couldn't find anything for our particular faucet, because it has a hose already on it in a substandard size. (And our bathroom faucet tip couldn't be pried off, we had a bunch of people try) So when we did the trial we just ducktaped the hose to the hose for cold water, and went directly to the hot water heater for the hot water. not too bad.

BUT then we went to a little family run hardware store-- and they had this awesome adapter that goes AROUND any size faucet, threaded or not! It's black rubber on that side and then has a little screw that you tighten to make it fit! Perfect!
Oh my gosh, I hope I can find the same thing - I too am having a great deal of trouble getting something to fit our faucet....arrrrgh.

#195 of 234 Old 03-18-2009, 10:06 PM

I've found it really depends on who you talk to at Lowes and Home Depot. I was getting SO frustrated trying to find an adaptor. First we went to Lowes and talked to someone who was POSITIVE he knew what we needed. Nope. It didn't work. So we returned it and talked to another person who said what we needed didn't exist and we'd have to replace the entire faucet. We went to Home Depot and was told the same thing. I knew that wasn't right. We don't have a bizarre faucet or anything. It's pretty standard. So I went back to Lowes and searched for someone else. I took in the tip from the faucet and the thing we needed to put on. Took him about 10 minutes of searching, but he found exactly what we needed. The adaptor we needed looked on the surface to be wrong, but it was a dual adaptor. Both male and female on the same end, and that worked perfectly.
#196 of 234 Old 03-22-2009, 09:03 PM

I am looking forward to our home birth in one month, and though I am not sure if I want a water birth, I want water available. I just wanted to say that this can be done for way less than the $100 tubs that are available. Here is what I got...

Fishy pool $5 (on clearance in September)
RV water hose $9
Adapter $3
Fish net for "floaties" $3
Water thermometer $3

Yup, that is the whole deal for $23. We decided to skip the drain/fill pump as DH thinks it will be easier to cyphon out the window. I figure the whole set up/tear down is his job, so its his call. We have a little compressor to inflate the pool with.

Mom to Sam (3/2007), Bekah (4/2009)hbac.gif, Jedidiah (4/2012)hbac.gif, and expecting #4 in March!
#197 of 234 Old 04-17-2009, 11:53 PM

This is probably a dumb question but:

Can't I buy a fishy pool or something cheap and then add water via pots and pans? When I want to drain I could just pull it out to my deck and turn over.

I just don't know if I want to spend extra money on accessories when I'll only use it once. Not to mention that Dh wouldn't want to figure out how to install all of this stuff.

Would my garden tub be ok while in labor?

Stephanie + Dh= Super blessed parents to 1 ds, and 4 dds!
#198 of 234 Old 04-23-2009, 10:09 PM

It's an awful lot of water to dump in by pots and pans!! And the tub will be WAY too heavy to drag.

CPST & mom

#199 of 234 Old 04-23-2009, 10:43 PM

Oh my goodness, I would not even attempt that. It really should not be expensive to get a faucet adaptor and hose. And then for drainage, just fill the hose with clean water, then suck with your mouth (well, hopefully not yoU!) to start a flow with the end of the hose below the water level. Presto, drainage.

#200 of 234 Old 04-27-2009, 03:52 PM

It cost me about $25 to get the aquarium hook-up kit and a 10' hose, and I'm absolutely sure it'll be well worth it for my birth attendants. I'm sure we'll supplement filling with pails, but 70+ gallons is a lot of water to haul by hand...

Stay-at-home mama married to my best friend of 10+ years. lovestory.gif  Aspiring midwife loving parenting our beautiful babyf.gif Julian, born 5/24/09. Expecting a second bean in late July 2012!joy.gif
  h20homebirth.giffemalesling.GIF  intactlact.gif  namaste.gif

#201 of 234 Old 05-05-2009, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verymoon View Post
Thanks so much to all for this invaluable information. It is so incredibly helpful.

Are there adapters for bathtub faucets? Seems that one can get a lot more water out of the bathtub faucet than the sink. Is this possible to do? Any adapter parts made for this purpose?

Thanks!

This is the same question I had, quoted from a couple pages ago and I didn't see an answer. Any of you awesome wb experts have an idea about this?
#202 of 234 Old 05-19-2009, 04:13 PM

How long does the pool usually take to fill up? Does anyone know where I can find a sevylor electra? I've looked around and it says its discontinued.

#203 of 234 Old 05-26-2009, 03:51 PM

www.yourwatrbirth.com has them.

Erin~ Mommy to 3 curly-headed children and expecting #4 in December. ***4***8***12**16***20***24***28***32***36***40**
#204 of 234 Old 05-26-2009, 07:31 PM

bump

Me (Mischa) and DH (Adam) 30, together since 2002
Middle of the road gal, open to new ideas
DS (Colben) June/09 by M/W, #2 due June/11
#205 of 234 Old 06-05-2009, 11:33 AM

We already have an air pump from an air mattress we bought last year, but it didn't come with the adapter nozzles...anyone know where we can JUST buy the nozzles?

Editing to add: Just bought a shop vac to help with guinea pig's hay that spills onto the floor, and realized there is a really cheap part you can buy to hook on and it inflates! MUCH cheaper than a $20 electric air pump (if you already have a shop vac).

Partnered mama with DD (01/04) and DD (08/09) and 8 critters, including a !
#206 of 234 Old 06-17-2009, 05:11 PM

Quick question...does it matter what kind of submersible pump I get or do they all do the same thing? They range in price on Amazon from $14-$150+.

Also, we bought an RV hose but I think it's too long...we went with the longer one to make sure it would reach, but thinking about it we'll just use the RV hose to fill the tub and use one of the regular garden hoses to drain, since it would be kinda gross to have used birth water in the drinking-water-safe hose . So should I take back the 50ft one and get the 25?

CPST & mom

#207 of 234 Old 06-20-2009, 10:13 PM

I am planning a WB in a hospital, my doc allows it. I was thinking of going with the fishy pool and the accessories mentioned here, it this alot to transport and how long do you think it would take to fill with air and then water once we got to the hospital?

My last labor was FAST so I am trying to figure out if we would even have time to do all of this if my labor is that fast this time.
#208 of 234 Old 06-22-2009, 12:00 PM

Anyone?
#209 of 234 Old 06-22-2009, 12:05 PM

According to StacyL: With normal water pressure, about 30 minutes. Although with my last birth the midwife had the aquadoula running and I swear it took longer than 30 minutes. i had the baby before it was even halfway full.

#210 of 234 Old 06-28-2009, 06:14 PM

i read every line of this thread before my homenirth. now three months later i can report back. i went with the kiddie fish pool. i'm 5'4" and it was a great size/height. we checked it before but during labor it sprung a small but annoying leak. we kept heating water on the stove and pouring in the hot water. once though my DH missed and the boiling water hit the side and the pool wall expanded and almost popped. it took about 40 min to fill. in the end we never got the pool hot enough and dumping and adding water was annoying. next time around i'm going to throw money at the situation and get a real pool with a heating element.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page