Birth Pool resources and information - Page 8 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#211 of 234 Old 06-28-2009, 06:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*~Amber~*~ View Post
I am planning a WB in a hospital, my doc allows it. I was thinking of going with the fishy pool and the accessories mentioned here, it this alot to transport and how long do you think it would take to fill with air and then water once we got to the hospital?

My last labor was FAST so I am trying to figure out if we would even have time to do all of this if my labor is that fast this time.
it took f-ing forever to fill that pool with air. BUT, DH used his nice bike pump. his arms almost fell off.

no need for a liner. we didn't use one.
#212 of 234 Old 07-27-2009, 11:42 PM

searched for the answer to this before posting, but couldn't find it so i thought i should go for it and ask!

so in regards to pumps for draining the pool afterward, i wonder if the smaller/cheaper aquarium pumps can handle some of the "non-water" items in the pool i know you skim out what you can, but with my last birth there was a lot of stuff at the bottom that the high quality pump (provided with my borrowed gentle birth pool) was able to suck right up and out. (we are talking some serious clots here ladies...sorry to be graphic but we have either all been there or will be there really soon so i figure being blunt is ok!).

any thoughts/experiences with the smaller pumps? can they handle the job of getting EVERYTHING out of the pool??!!!

we are using either a birth pool in a box or the new "aquaborn eco pool" this time around and need to get a pump.

thanks!
Sarah
#213 of 234 Old 08-06-2009, 05:49 PM

There is no way we could keep our pool inflated. We live in a small apartment, and it will take up most of the floor in our living room. We have a balcony, but it's very rainy here in October so I'm afraid it would get quite moldy. Any other possibilities?

Jen 47 DS C 2/03  angel.gif04/29/08/ DD S 10/28/09 DH Bill '97.

mighty-mama and her sister Kundalini-Mamacandle.gif

#214 of 234 Old 08-06-2009, 07:48 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookietooth View Post
There is no way we could keep our pool inflated. We live in a small apartment, and it will take up most of the floor in our living room. We have a balcony, but it's very rainy here in October so I'm afraid it would get quite moldy. Any other possibilities?
If you have a strong pump, it won't take long to inflate. Get it inflated when labor begins and you will probably be fine. But doing a test-run to make sure you know how long it will take and ensure there are no issues is still a good idea.

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#215 of 234 Old 10-27-2009, 07:24 PM

We just replaced this summer my kitchen faucet with one with a sprayer at the end - so the faucet adapters won't work. My bathroom sink also won't accept an adapter (not threaded). It is about 20-25 feet from the tub or kitchen sink to where we'll use the pool.

What are our options:
1) Fill bathtub or kitchen sink and use pump to move water from sink/tub to pool.
2) Bucket brigade (okay, the one-man version of a brigade, cuz I'm not doing that in labor)
3) Something else?

Thanks,
Liza

Liza - Bird watching, tree hugging, dirt eating, kinda-crunchy momma to my cub (3) and bird (1). treehugger.gifcold.gifdust.gifflower.gif
#216 of 234 Old 11-09-2009, 04:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post
We just replaced this summer my kitchen faucet with one with a sprayer at the end - so the faucet adapters won't work. My bathroom sink also won't accept an adapter (not threaded). It is about 20-25 feet from the tub or kitchen sink to where we'll use the pool.

3) Something else?
Liza, I have been offering tub rental services for 9 years and I haven't ever come across an adapter that will work for the tub faucet - believe me, I have looked. However, I have used a faucet adapter that can go over the end of the shower outlet; take off the shower head, then use this handy gadget. Go to acehardwareoutlet.com and search for "Danco faucet hose adapter". It's rubber so you might have to work it on there a little but works great and only five bucks.

Vanessa
Midwife and Tub Lady
#217 of 234 Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by liza-s View Post

What are our options:
1) Fill bathtub or kitchen sink and use pump to move water from sink/tub to pool.
2) Bucket brigade (okay, the one-man version of a brigade, cuz I'm not doing that in labor)
3) Something else?

Thanks,
Liza
Looks like you've already had the babe, but for anybody else wanting to know, you don't need an adapter to your faucet for filling or draining. We had several large fish tanks for years before they got too time consuming and never had an adapter (though it would have been nice).

Get a cheap gravel siphon/vaccum. Then, unless your tub will be near a sink or bath tub, you'll need more tubing. Take the tubing off that it comes with and go to Home Depot, Menards, Lowes, etc and ask them for plastic tubing (generally over by the bathroom or kitchen area and comes on huge reels). They sell it by the foot (IIRC ours was about .50/foot 5 years ago) and on your package for the siphon, it should say what diameter it is. If not bring your siphon with you to home depot so you can test it out to make sure it will fit.

Then jerry rig it to your faucet backwards to fill. In other words, put the large end (siphon) under the faucet. Our sink was small enough that we could set it up on end and then put something heavy over the tube to keep it from sliding out. You could use duct tape or something too. Worst case scenario, somebody will have to stand there and hold it. Our largest tank we filled this way was 75 gallons, and I think it took about 45min maybe an hour. It takes longer than having an adaptor because you can't have your faucet flowing full boar. Well you can, but it's not going to help any.

To drain the pool, you do it the same way you would a fish tank. There should be directions on the package of the gravel vacuum/siphon but basically you fill the siphon part with water by submerging it, then point it down, shake it to build pressure and it should start to drain. It won't be able to do the last few inches because little water means no pressure. You will also have to make sure the siphon stays under the water, so duct tape may come in handy again. It will be able to get small, uh, after birth particles as that's what it does in an aquarium, but you'll need a fish net to get floaties and other matter out before draining. Filling will obviously require supervision, but draining nobody needs to stand there and watch it. Worst case scenario, something goes wrong and it doesn't drain right and you have to do it in the morning.
#218 of 234 Old 12-24-2009, 12:53 AM

Thought I'd update this old thread, now that my birth was 9 months ago.

We used a brand new La Bassine with a electric pump, hose, adapter to our kitchen faucet (that worked with our weird sprayer, we screwed off the hose part and found an adapter that went OVER it instead of inside and could adjust to fit any size faucet)

So, I had 3 days of a home waterbith. 3 days of filling and re-filling and emptying and adding hot water. We ended up using a bucket to take out water and the hose to fill, b/c it was too much work to take off the hose each time. After 3 days, we had to transfer for a c-section. It was a quick transfer, no time to drain.

HAVE A BACK-UP PLAN FOR DRAINING!!!!!

We caused $10,000 worth of damage to the apartment under us because our La Bassine sprung a leak during my c-section. Have a friend on call to do nothing but drain in the case of a transfer. Imagine getting that call in the hospital hours later!
#219 of 234 Old 04-27-2010, 10:15 PM

Oh how incredibly HORRIBLE, Altair!!! But thank you for sharing, I would have never thought to prepare for that and would have totally overlooked it.

I have found you can get all three Python pieces (hose, pump, and adapter) from one store www.petstore.com (it was one of the only places I could order them all together and their shipping was less than other places, too). My Petsmart and also petsmart.com no longer sell the Python brand. I could only get a kit which would be a waste, as our BELOVED StacyL pointed out.

MANY MANY THANKS FOR THIS LIFESAVING THREAD!!!!!!

Wife, childbirth educator and homeschooling mama to DS 6/05, DD 8/07, DS 6/10 and new baby July/Aug 2012.

#220 of 234 Old 06-30-2010, 09:15 PM

I know that www.preciousarrows.com sells a waterbirth kit that includes the adapter, hose, and everything else you need. We got ours the day after we ordered it.
#221 of 234 Old 09-24-2010, 01:30 AM

@stacyl; Nice post...Thank you very much!!......
#222 of 234 Old 10-01-2010, 01:15 AM

Nice post...Greatly appreciated!!!
#223 of 234 Old 10-15-2010, 02:27 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Ok, I bought the fishy pool and a pump- Wayne 1/6HP submersible to drain the pool-the Python did NOT work last time for us. It says it needs a 3/4 inch drain hose. I can NOT find a 3/4" drinking water hose. How bad would a regular hose be to use?

Also, are the brass and plastic adaptors the same for the internally threaded faucet? Mine looks like the example in post 154 (internal) and I'm not buying the python fill & drain this time-just the adaptor and hose, probably. Anyone use the python hose on an electric submersible pump?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#224 of 234 Old 10-15-2010, 02:45 PM

kitty, for the hose are you talking about just to drain? I just pulled out our drain pump last night to look and it looks to me like it will need one of those clear aquarium/pond-type hoses instead of a standard water hose. The connector has rings that look like they will grip a hose but not threads, if that makes sense. I'm not going to worry about material on the drain hose (though I would avoid vinyl in my house at all times as much as possible) because it won't affect me or baby.

I don't know much about the faucet adaptors so will let someone else comment on that. I am now grateful we never took ours off after my last birth 3 years ago! Though I do need to get a new hose!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#225 of 234 Old 10-15-2010, 07:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
My pump has threads like a regular hose would go on there. I was kinda hoping to only have to buy one hose for filling and draining to minimize how much stuff to buy overall.

Does anyone know the diameter of the Python hose?

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#226 of 234 Old 12-10-2010, 06:11 AM

Bumping to the top...can we get this re-stickied?

Aubree, wife to a wonderful DH, mom to Colin 12/05, Hudson 6/08, and Gavin, 1/12/11.
#227 of 234 Old 01-13-2011, 04:06 PM

Question to Canadian mothers... Is it possible to get the fishy pool anywhere?

I have found this alternative at Canadian Tire which seems like an alternative option. Also has an inflatable bottom which I am not sure the fishy pool does. - http://www.canadiantire.com/AST/browse/2/OutdoorLiving/1/BackyardFun/Pools/PRDOVR~0813013P/Round%252BInflatable%252BPool.jsp?locale=en

Also not sure whether it is toxin free but I am going to wander down to Canadian Tire and check it out.

Here is a link to a comparison PDF file which I found quite handy - http://www.yourwaterbirth.com/editorfiles/file/Pool%20Comparison%20Chart%208-10.pdf

#228 of 234 Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 PM

Bump for reading

Jenica- Wife to R & mama to C 8/27/09, my little blonde bombshell and D 7/23/11, whom we love so much we gave him an extra chromosome      cd.gifwinner.jpgfemalesling.GIF

#229 of 234 Old 11-06-2011, 01:55 AM

Bumping, with some questions and comments:

1. I'm really disappointed in the "you won't need a heater, just empty some out and refill" answer. At my last birth, I managed, with some 5 gallon bakery buckets and a creative piece of pvc pipe with a wad of duct tape on the end, to maintain the temp manually, but my tub was IN my kitchen, so with the pipe, I could reach the faucet and nudge it on or off as needed. BUT... we're in a different house now. That won't be possible. And I don't like wasting the water...it's not dirty, just cold. So I need a heater. I've got a hard-sided Rubbermaid horse trough (100 gallons) but I'm having a hard time figuring out WHAT heater I should get for it without breaking the bank or burning myself. 

2. Draining... Oh my god. When I used the tub in late pregnancy, I siphoned the water out every day or two. When I had the baby... my husband and my father and possibly my brother in law DRAGGED 60-70 gallons of water to the sliding door and dumped the bloody birth water on the patio. O.O. We're going to try to get a faucet for the tub drain this time, so they're not tempted to do anything that stupid again. I think one of them hurt his back. Duh.

So, our setup:

First, I'm a big mama. I was wearing 3x clothing last time, I'm 5 foot 8 with LONG legs, and I'm not narrow. We used a 100 gallon rubbermaid tank.

Freedom of movement wasn't huge, but I could get in and out easily without help, I could squat, kneel, drape myself on the side... it all worked. 

Because of the amount of water I displace, we could fill the tank in about 20 minutes with one hot water heater. However, 60-70 gallons cools a LOT quicker than  100-130 gallons. So I had to fuss at the water temperature a lot.

I never missed padding, except at my neck. I think I used an inflatable tub pillow. Or I should have. It just wasn't a huge issue.

Setup was thusly:

100 gallon stock tank (25 inches tall, so as tall as anything else, plus you can't push the sides down, period, ever)

1 faucet adapter

1 drinking water quality hose (which got used for gardening, darn them, but is now 6 years old, so I'm sucking it up and buying a new one, 50 footer this time, so we can get water from a second heater if we need to, we've got a couple on the property.)

1 crappy garden hose for draining

1 12 foot long pvc pipe with a wad of duct tape on the end (sticky side out)

Several empty 5 gallon buckets I begged off the bakery at Costco.

1 pint empty yogurt container, clean, with lid, for peeing in. This time round, used pho ga containers seem to be our "little bucket" of choice. This is because at term with SPD, climbing in and out of a tub to pee vs. just standing up and peeing in a container is not worth it. After the number of pregnancy tests I took, I'm VERY good at peeing in small containers.

1 pitcher for bailing

Chair next to the tub for me to put books on

extra towels

Now, in actual labor, I probably spent... 10 minutes in the tub while giving birth. But we set it up when I was 35 weeks and I used that thing every day or two until my daughter was born. A whopping 6 1/2 weeks later. 

I couldn't have given birth vaginally without that tub. Kiddo had a giant non-moldy head, pathalogically so. I didn't dilate to 10. I didn't dilate up to 11. I dilated to 12 or 13 cm, and pushed that giant head OUT without tearing. Broke my tailbone and separated my pelvis doing it, but that tub saved us from a c-section and all sorts of other crap that would have happened if we'd transferred. 

So I'm looking forward to setting the tub up soon again, but there's no way for me to control the water temp without getting out and in a lot, and that's unacceptable. We actually have a jacuzzi tub upstairs, but even with a overflow cover, that thing is just NOT deep enough, and it hurts to climb in and out of. And it's wider than it needs to be, so it takes FOREVER to fill. And I don't need jets. 

So I need a heater for the Rubbermaid tank. And we're definitely having a midwife this time, so we should probably line it so she can see. And I'm at a total loss, trying to figure out what heater will work. Honestly I wish there was a way to make our Jacuzzi about 4 inches deeper, I think I could rig something from the second water heater. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#230 of 234 Old 11-06-2011, 01:29 AM

I have heard of getting waterbed heaters, but I know nothing more than that... I did a have a friend who put some sort of heater under her fishy pool for her first one, but that wouldn't work so well with a trough.

Oh, and urine is sterile. It's perfectly safe to skip the standing and peeing on target altogether. winky.gif

Please do post if you figure something out for a heater! I wonder if you could find whatever they use for the birth pools that come with them? Now I can't remember it's name... Aqua Doula, maybe?

#231 of 234 Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 PM

I was hoping to find out what the hard-sided birth pools use, but I'm terribly worried it's going to be "spa heater" which is a $500 item. It just seems like it shouldn't be that complicated.

On the other hand, researching this has shown me things I'd never have believed existed, like hot tub heaters cobbled together out of a barbecue grill and a copper manifold. O.O Yeah, not heating the birth tub with propane. 

Jenrose, Mama to DD1, born 1993, DD2, born 2005, and DS1, Jan. 2012. Babywearing, cosleeping, homebirthing mom with fibromyalgia and hashimotos.  DD2 has a rare chromosome disorder. 

#232 of 234 Old 11-07-2011, 01:22 AM

lol.gif Gee, why ever not?!

I really wish it weren't so complicated! I hope you can find an easy solution. There is something about electricity + water that makes it tricky.

#233 of 234 Old 11-25-2011, 04:35 PM

So now I'm trying to figure out which waterbed heater would be appropriate. I posted to my facebook, hoping some of my geek friends would have brilliant ideas. One of them pointed me to a website discussing the benefits of trashcan-sized nuclear devices that will someday power colonies on the Moon and Mars. I cannot believe I actually said, "No, I'm not going to use a trashcan nuclear reactor to heat my birth tub", but that's the kind of friends list I have.... lol!

Not going to use the Redneck Pool Heater either. (Look it up. It's... um... unique.)

Of course this is all complicated by the fact that SOMEONE in my family lost the dang plug for the tub, which I have to replace somehow. Meh. And the place I bought the tub from now charges twice as much for a new tub, and the cost of the plug is a whopping $25, which is more than half of what I paid for the tub in the first place! Crazy. So DH is scrubbing the tub out and loading it into the van for me to drag off to the hardware store to see what we need to make it work. 

If only my jacuzzi tub upstairs was a couple inches deeper.... but I just cannot get truly comfortable in it with my belly sticking up out of the water. Seems like such a waste to have this great tub upstairs.... only it's too dang short. First world problem, but still. Oh, and we thought the hall shower was on the downstairs heater, but it isn't, so that was a bust. If I could fill it full in 20 minutes, I'd probably put up with the 4-inches-too-short. But it takes an hour to get to a comfortable depth. 

#234 of 234 Old 12-02-2011, 07:35 AM

If anyone is interested I have a La Bassine PRO Birth Pool that I would like to sell since I won't ever need it.  It was never used for labor/birth.

Mama to my girls on earth and in heaven... innocent.gif K (10); energy.gifA (6); energy.gifL (3)

candle.gifBella (19 weeks) Jan '10; candle.gifRachel (16 weeks) Dec '10; candle.gifGrace (18 weeks) Oct '11; angel1.gif(10weeks)May '10, angel1.gif(4.5 weeks) Jun '07; angel1.gif(10weeks) Jun '98

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page