Can you have a HB if you had a (hospital) stillbirth in the past? [Stillbirth ment] - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This has been on my mind for months now. : Sorry mods if this isn’t in the right spot.

I really want to have HB (second choice birthing center) for my next pregnancy. I've been reading books about pregnancy after loss and they all seem to stress invasive tests, multiple ultrasounds and OB run hospital births.

I personally will want at least 1 ultrasound and some non-invasive tests (thyroid, etc), but I don’t want the whole medical lineup of ultrasounds at every appointment, highly invasive tests, scheduled inductions and c-sections and I want a homebirth.

My reason for the stillbirth (at 30 weeks) is totally unknown. It wasn’t something that happened at delivery either - his heart stopped and I found out via ultrasound.

Would a midwife refuse pre-natal care/homebirth if the woman had a past stillbirth whether or not the reason is known? Does anyone have or know of any positive and negative experiences?

I’m not pregnant yet so I don’t really feel its appropriate to call up HB MW and ask them.
#2 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 07:36 PM

I would think that you could find a midwife who would take you. I know that some here would be willing.

good luck!

-Angela
#3 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 07:38 PM

I am confident that my mw would take you and I think I know other mws that would too. I would just explore different mws and talk to them about it...

good luck!

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#4 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 07:51 PM

You might post this in the birth professionals forum and see what any of the mw's in there have to say...

FWIW, I'm sure my mw would take you...

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#5 of 10 Old 01-23-2007, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaglevoice View Post
You might post this in the birth professionals forum and see what any of the mw's in there have to say...

FWIW, I'm sure my mw would take you...
Great idea - thanks ladies!
#6 of 10 Old 01-24-2007, 12:04 AM

, mama. I'm so sorry for the loss of your sweet little boy.
#7 of 10 Old 01-24-2007, 01:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm so sorry to hear of your previous loss. Having a high risk of losses past 20 weeks myself, I've been interested in knowing whether or not a midwife will be willing to attend a home stillbirth, since wanting a private space when the occasion is joyous only leads me to want that space even more if it's a time of grief. I have met homebirth midwives who were still willing to attend if the birth went that direction. So I really can't see that a midwife wouldn't take on a client with a past loss, especially one that shows no medical indication that it would be repeated. And I think it's perfectly appropriate to call midwives and ask while you're still just planning a pregnancy. It may be more difficult to talk about to a stranger after you're pregnant, if you'd rather keep focus on the current pregnancy. In explaining your situation, I'm sure midwives would be understanding and willing to talk it over with you. Best wishes in finding the care provider you're looking for.
#8 of 10 Old 01-24-2007, 07:37 AM

I lost my first daughter at 24 weeks, after a cord prolapse and PROM. My midwife accompanied me home from the hospital when we'd confirmed there was no heartbeat, went home and came to me the following morning once I was labouring. She caught my LO and nurtured me as best she could through the third stage, bathed me and tucked me up in bed with a hot water bottle and my 11mo son.
This is the same midwife who caught my boys. She's fantastic.
I suspect the answer to the question, though, is that it all depends. If a midwife feels that you are considering yourself high risk and want everything possible done to ensure a healthy outcome for the baby, then she may well refuse to take you because she simply doesn't have access to the equipment that a doctor would. On the other hand, if you're looking at quality of pregnancy- which is how it sounds- then I think you might well get lucky.
Time does make things easier.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#9 of 10 Old 01-24-2007, 02:34 PM

Oh I'm so sorry for what you've been through.
I would think that talking to midwife wile your not pregnant
would be better, less stressful at least.
If your pregnant and looking then you feel a time crunch to try
and find someone who will meet your needs.
Right now you have all the time you need
to find someone sensitive and capable.

Me , married to , with one . I'm a birth doula. We believe in
#10 of 10 Old 01-24-2007, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ladies. You're the best!

I will take you up on your idea and just talk to someone - I have a group in mind that I'm interested in anyway.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page