Not so basic homebirth supplies - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 03:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Ok, so we had our first birthing class last night with the MW and she already gave us our birth kits which have the very basics in them - chux, peri bottle, some of those mama diapers with mesh panties
She also gave us a supply list of things to have on hand including:
comfrey compresses
mirror
flashlight
tea tree oil
umbilical cord care stuff
peroxide
garbage bags
2 big freezer bags for placenta
thermometer

But what else did you guys have on hand for your labor/birth/post partum that you found helped a great deal?

TIA,
Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#2 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 04:11 PM

a big blow-up kiddie pool! That was our single most enjoyable purchase during the birth.

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#3 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 04:20 PM

Lots of witch hazel!

frozen witch hazel maxi pads
witch hazel in the peri bottle
witch hazel on large cotton rounds (in place of Tucks)
katterpiller likes this.
#4 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 05:07 PM

Frozen pads are the greatest!
#5 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 05:22 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
lots of dark colored panties stashed in the bathroom, I also tried some different ways to pee so it wouldn't sting, holding a emptied toliet paper roll around my uretha helped keep the pee stream from touching my ouchy labia tears...which you may not have to deal with! honey slathered on felt good too so I had a little dish of honey stashed in the bathroom too. Anyone else heard of HONEY for tears and healing? My MW suggested this and we just thought that was really looney, but it worked wonders!
Amber1218 and Dandy Lion like this.
#6 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 06:01 PM

Oh yeah! I forgot about the honey. I was so skeptical and chalked it up to looneys...but tried it and it was friggin' awesome! That toilet paper tube idea sounds great. I had labial tears, too, from my cranio baby's skull not compressing and that would have saved me a lot of painful urinations!

SAHPilot Mama to a 5yoson, a 17 mo old daughter, and wife to .
Worried about your baby's head shape? PM me for craniosynostosis info!
#7 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 06:36 PM

My mw suggested using nori seaweed for labial tears. It worked great, but smelled something awful! I haven't heard of using honey before.

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#8 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 07:05 PM

Arnica tablets really helped me heal up all those minor abrasions and bruising.

Straws. I know that sounds silly but being able to take little sips of water through a straw was nice.
#9 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 07:07 PM

We were also instructed to have some already dry towels and blankets in the dryer. When i was pushing the backup midwife turned the dryer on to warm up the blankets for the baby and I when we got out of the tub.

Warm blankets are so nice.
NuzzleNudge likes this.
#10 of 280 Old 01-24-2007, 07:12 PM

a LITTLE BOTTLE OF OLIVE OIL to rub on newborn butt makes mid night meconnium poos real easy to clean. Anytime meconnium poos for that matter. My mw asked me 5x if I had one and she was right it made those first changes much easier.
MonkeysInk and NuzzleNudge like this.
#11 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 12:09 AM

A large heating pad.

It was great for me when I wanted some heat on my tummy or back.

PLUS we used it as a low tech baby blanket warmer. Need one pillow case, 8 blankets, 2 baby skull caps. Make a stack: 4 blankets, 1 hat, the heating pad without the cover, 1 hat, 4 blankets. Slide that stack into the pillow case. When baby comes out you have a nice warmed hat for the head, and pre-warmed blankets for wrapping and wiping.

Our blow up pool was great too. Transition was much easier in warm water.

-A
#12 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 12:46 AM

-Alkalol - it's an herbal and saline solution available at most pharmacies. Really makes those swollen and torn bottoms feel good! Just put a little in your peri bottle.

-Arnica

-Rescue Remedy

-Grandma!!!! - not recommeded for everyone but my mom was an absolute treasure after both my births. She did everything for us so we could spend a couple of weeks just falling in love with the new baby.
#13 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
plastic to cover bed
tarp to go under the blow up pool someone else mentioned
broth, or miso soup and some sort of juice for hydration
some sort of quick sugar-for a bit of extra energy- anything from honey/honey straws to chocolate- what every you think you will get the most out of and can eat ASAP
wash cloths- 12 or more
ginger to use for nausea and some to add to water for hot pack on perineum if you want them
#14 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 01:35 AM

:
#15 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 01:56 AM

A crock-pot of warm water, as well as a big bowl of ice water. I loved having a warm washcloth on my back during transition... as well as a cool one on my face and neck.

I second the olive oil suggestion. Also good for perinium massage during crowning.
#16 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 02:05 AM

Peri bottle. I loved rinsing with warm water after using the toilet

My mw mixed honey with herbs to on my tear. Was wonderful.

I know goldenseal was one of the herbs.

And cool wash rags for my head while in labor. They where life savers for me. I felt so sick while hot.
#17 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Makes 4 View Post
Arnica tablets really helped me heal up all those minor abrasions and bruising.

Straws. I know that sounds silly but being able to take little sips of water through a straw was nice.
i gulped down a liter during pushing
#18 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 11:22 AM - Thread Starter

Some great suggestions

We are likely waterbirthing in our garden tub again but of course will have a birthing area on the bed as well, we have the plastic matress cover left over from last time.

I have arnica pellets and the gel which really helped last time.
I don't get to spend much time in the water because my births are pretty fast but I definitely want to have some cold washclothes on hand if I start to get overheated - that would have been nice last time.

I use the comfrey root tea rather than witch hazel - has anyone used both? Is one better than the other? I love the comfrey! I soak 4X4's in the tea and freeze them individually. I don't use disposable pads and can't see me freezing Mama pads - don't they leak when they thaw???

We have a box of bendy straws - I totally agree, a little thing but so nice to have
We usually have a BIG bottle of apple juice on hand for a quick sugar after the birth. For those of you that do honey orally do you just take it straight? I'm not sure I could do that.

I'll have to make sure my Rescue Remedy is within arms reach - I have a purse size spray so that's convenient.

It is possible my Mom will be here so that would be great, she lives in another state and has never been here for a birth. I am due on the 20th and she is panning on coming the 22nd and staying for 12 days so hopefully she'll be here for the birth or at least afterwards to help with the kids.

I got one peri bottle in my kit from my MW but will probably order another one.

For Christmas my boys got me a large rice sock from the Discovery store that has lavender in it and is in a really nice soft cover - I've been using it almost nightly for my back and expect to use it a lot in labor

One thing my MW has us do which is nice: We put 10-12 old receiving blankets in a paper bag and seal it, then once in labor we put the bag in the oven at 150 and it stays there until the birth and we take a blanket out one at a time to keep the baby warm - I think puting the hat in there (if we use one) is a good idea. Once Mama has been checked my MW prepares an herbal bath and steeps the herbs on the stove and puts another paper bag with 3 big towels in it for the Mama so that when I get out of my herbal bath she wraps me up in big warm towels

I also have a bottle of afterease for those nasty afterpains and may get some homeopathic magnesium as well.

Such great information

Keri

#19 of 280 Old 01-25-2007, 03:21 PM

Great info ladies! keep it coming.
#20 of 280 Old 01-27-2007, 07:26 PM

:
Melly486 likes this.
#21 of 280 Old 01-27-2007, 07:36 PM

anyone have a recipe for that honey-herb perineum balm mixture? that sounds lovely!

*j
#22 of 280 Old 01-27-2007, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Past_VNE View Post
Oh yeah! I forgot about the honey. I was so skeptical and chalked it up to looneys...but tried it and it was friggin' awesome!
Honey has antimicrobial properties...

Here's a link about honey for wound care:
http://www.dermnetnz.org/treatments/honey.html

There was also research recently about using honey for treatment of MRSA (Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus Aureus).
#23 of 280 Old 01-27-2007, 08:16 PM

Okay for those of you that make the different types of frozen pads which pads do you use, and how do you do this. I'm sure this sounds like a dumb question but it sounds like a great idea but I'm just wondering, how much with hazel, water, or tea do you put on them? Do they get soggy and wet when you are using them?

Keri- Do you find comfrey tea at like a health food store, and you only put it on guaze and freeze it right? or do you use pads?

Okay sorry if you feel like you are explaining this to a three year old, but lately I feel like thats the state of my mind,lol.

Maria
stay at home mom to 2 girls 11/20/03,3/09/07 and 2 boys  2/28/05 and 11/16/10 and one on the way 1/13/12

#24 of 280 Old 01-27-2007, 10:16 PM

Okay, this is a weird suggestion...BUT

I always throw up during my labor and it turned out that I wasn't anywhere near a sink/toilet/tub when I threw up during my last labor. It was a good thing I had some nausea and was able to announce that I wanted to throw up. Soooooo I definitely will be putting an aluminum mixing bowl in my pile of homebirth supplies, so that everyone knows where that can be found when the time comes!

SAHM to four beautiful babes :
#25 of 280 Old 01-28-2007, 05:19 AM

The frozen pad thing for the people who were asking - it totally saved my life last time around. I just ran a disposable pad under the tap - but I don't see why a flannel or cloth pad wouldn't work too - just plain water, froze it and used one every time I went to the bathroom. They only work once, after that they do get leaky, etc, but honestly for the first bowel movement they are amazing.

And for first pees, just in a bowl of warm water.

I used the comfrey for baths. That was good too, but for the pads it's the temp that's inportant rather than the contents I think.
#26 of 280 Old 01-28-2007, 07:32 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
when freezing pads you can lay them over an upside down bowl and it will give it a curved shape.
I do think that depending on what you have going on- an herb mix can make a difference in healing time - witch hazel is astringent and helps resolve bruises and varicosities and helps resolve inflammation-
comfrey is for quick healing but can be so quick that it can dissolve stitches before they are ready- so if someone has extensive stitches I recommend using comfrey later rather than sooner - it causes rapid cell proliferation , but it also does some rapid break down of sutures ( it use to be the main ingredient in septic tank additives to clear the tank or reduce the bulk of the waste).
#27 of 280 Old 01-28-2007, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

I freeze my comfrey compresses and when they thaw out they are sitting on a Mama cloth so that absorbs the tea melt. My MW gave us a baggy of comfrey root chopped up but I know you can get comfrey leaf at www.gentlemoon.com, I already bought some and I have WAY too much so if you want to PM me your addy i'd be happy to send you some. I have only used it on frozen 4X4's and this is something we do at 38ish weeks so they are ready to go. Last time I folded them in half after saturating and would layer them between celophane but I think this time I'm going to fold them in half and put them in snack size zipper bags so they are easier to get to. When you first apply, the cold is somewhat shocking but it feels wonderful almost immediately! I healed up VERY fast after my 2 homebirths.

I've never had stitches but that is a good point and something to keep in mind.

The frozen cloths do sound nice but I'm still trying to figure out how you don't soak your bed when they thaw out.

Keri

#28 of 280 Old 01-28-2007, 03:19 PM

Hey ladies - I had a really long, drawn out healing process after DD's birth (3rd degree tear, stiches). I did daily sitz baths for at least 6 weeks - just with plain water - and also used the peri bottle and witch hazel pads (mostly as a wipe after peeing and pooping). I'm trying to plan ahead for healing items this time. I'll definitely make better use of witch hazel pads this time as a compress.

For those who have done the herbal sitz baths - do you think they made a difference? I've been wanting to get a kit, but don't want to waste money also. Is it better to just do a single-ingredient, like a comfrey stiz bath?

My plan this time:
Arnica tablets
sitz baths
witch hazel pads
#29 of 280 Old 01-28-2007, 04:10 PM - Thread Starter

With my first two I just did plain water and my recovery was slower but I also pushed and delivered on my back in a hospital.
There is an herbal bath mix from www.gentlemoon.com that sounds good and it's not too pricey. To make the herbs last as long as possible use one cup of mix with a large stock pot - we use our spagetti pot (the biggest pot we have) full of water. We steep the herbs on the stove for at least 30 minutes, we place a colander in the tub and pour the mix through the colander then we put the herbs the colander caught back in the big pot to steep again next time. When we steep them next time we had 1/4-1/2 cup of fresh herbs to the already used herbs. Doing it this way helped our herbs last at least 2 weeks taking 2 baths per day. Once you ran out you could still take a regular plain water sitz bath.

It is also great to take your baby into the herbal with with you - this helped my girls cord stumps heal so much faster and it is so nice to have that skin to skin contact

Keri

#30 of 280 Old 01-28-2007, 09:08 PM

subbing to this awesome thread!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page