Castor Oil Induction - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 01-28-2007, 10:08 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello... I was just wondering if any of you have induced with castor oil. I am now about a week overdue and I if i go 2 weeks over my midwife said we could try castor oil. I have heard mixed reviews... If anyone has used it I would love to hear your experiences good or bad. I really hate to induce but am just thinking about my options... Thanks.

Eleshia
#2 of 25 Old 01-28-2007, 10:30 PM

Personally, I wouldn't use it. I'm too worried about causing harm to baby. I've heard people having good luck with it...minus the diaherra and cramping.

Wife to Jesse, Mom to Ayden 12/01, Kailey 07/03, Ashlyn 6/05, Dylan 9/07, & Riley 12/09

#3 of 25 Old 01-28-2007, 10:40 PM

How would it harm the baby? I think Pitocin would do much more damage than any laxative would.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#4 of 25 Old 01-28-2007, 10:41 PM

I used it and had good results. Just like anything there is a chance it will work or not. I was 3.5cm dilated 80% effaced and so on. I was also 10 days "over". I drank it at 5pm and started active labor at 10pm had her by 2am. You need to have some labor symptoms before you attempt it and best to ask MW since they last checked you and knows your cervix.

Mama to Hailey Rose '02 Pro- crunchy
#5 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 12:20 AM

I wouldn't touch it. There is some research that shows that it can cause the baby to pass mec. in-utero....

-Angela
#6 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 12:33 AM

both of my sisters were castor oil births, healthy as can be, but intense short births.
#7 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 AM

I didn't do castor oil but I used a fleet enema and yes I did go into labour but I also had an accident on the labour table

Castor oil can give you cramps.
#8 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 AM

I used it for my last, dont know if it worked or not though.

I took a dose and waited a few hours and nothing. Took another dose and waited and nothing (well except for a few trips to the bathroom).

Gave up and went to bed. At about 1AM I went into into labor having the baby a hour or so later. Very easy and fast birth.

I would totally use Castor Oil again.
#9 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 01:02 AM

I have attended births induced with castor oil but one unifying factor was that all the mams spent most their labor on the toilet and nauseaus not exactly the best asthetics. I would try taking large amounts of evening primrose oil- this worked well for me as it is a postglandlin and ripens the cervix , it completley safe, I took four gels twice a day the 2 weeks before my due date went into labor a week after starting, have reccommended it to many clients who have also enjoyed good results!
#10 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 01:25 AM

I did it but only because I was getting close to loosing the option of homebirthing.It's nasty!!It seemed like it got things started but it didn't last.I found it really miserable but much better than going to the hospital.

#11 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 02:47 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I don't think there is a need to push a baby that isn't ready. I've had mixed results with castor oil, most 50/50, but it certainly doesn't hurt anyone but mom (dehydration, intense cramping and contractions that begin, but then peter out are all common).
#12 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 03:13 AM

I used castor oil with ds as well as accupuncture. My water broke and contractions did progress for 24+ hours so I took a dose and went to the accupuncturist. By the time I got home I needed to use the bathroom and contractions started in earnest. The bathroom part was short-lived and I had ds 10 hours later. Later we found out that both my mom and grandma had used castor oil to induce (good Irish traditions) and my MW wished she'd known that before. I hope I don't have to use it again, but will if I have to. though I will try the evneing primrose and make sure you have a chaser of orange juice or something.

DS#1 1/05, DS#2 4/07, DD 12/11  homebirth.jpgcd.gif

#13 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 03:28 AM

if it doesn't work, it does seem to increase prostaglandins so it does increase the likely hood of a pit induction working if you have one after an attempt with castor oil-- and I understand that you can purchase it in capsules.
#14 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 10:08 AM

i was a castor oil baby!!

personally i would use it before i would risk out of a homebirth.... but it doesn't seem to work for a baby that isn't really ready to be born.

a few tbsp. seems to help tremendously for women who just seem to need a little nudge.

(my mom drank half the bottle)

GL!!

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#15 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 10:22 AM

Have you thought about getting your membranes stripped? ANYTHING is better than pitocin at the hospital. Last week my BP spiked and my midwife put me on bedrest and advised me to try some natural induction methods--labor did start for me, but I have a posterior baby, so I'm waiting in stall mode right now You could try tincture of blue and black cohoshes. 40 drops of the tincture in a bit of water every hour (alt each hour between blue and black) for 8 hrs and then again the next day. Continue until in labor. If you start to get a headache, omit the blue cohosh and just do 4 servings of the black cohosh. It is gross, but if you are able to have a homebirth, yay! I cut mine w/ a bit of red raspberry leaf tea instead of with the water and I find it more bearable. I follow it w/3 Kashi crackers, as they seem to get the taste out of my mouth faster than anything! hehe! Like castor oil, mixed safety reviews, but way safer than that scary pitocin. Have you been doing evening primrose oil? My midwife advises 1500 mg morning and night orally and 2 in the vagina as far up as you can push them at night (I use a yeast infection cream applicator!)--at least you will soften up then. You could try acupuncture (I am myself this AM). Get out your breast pump and pump for 20 min several times a day! My favorite advice, from my doula--masturbate or get busy w/your honey!! Even if it doesn't bring on labor, it will soften you up! And if you should end up at the hospital, all nice and softened up, they'd be using way less pitocin. But I just know you're going to have a great home birth! Good luck!
#16 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 12:45 PM

I have used castor oil like 3 times. The only time it worked it also dehydrated me and I passed out twice after the birth. I won't be doing it again.

I have heard babies can pass mec if you take it but it seems unlikely to me. That means the laxative effects would have to cross the placenta or it would stress the baby out causing the mec (which I xdoubt since I think we would see that way more with pit or cytotec etc). More likely its just that the moms were past their edd which in itself means there is a higher chance of mec. Out of the 3 pg I took castor oil none of my babies had mec and I was 2 weeks past my edd.

I would try anything before I consented to a pit induction though.

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
#17 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 01:00 PM

I used castor oil with dd2 at 41w6d to avoid losing my homebirth in restrictive FL. I had a long labor with dd1, 28 hours, homebirth transfer, 12 hours of pitocin. DD2's labor was wonderful compared to that! It was 12 hours of labor, but other than the castor oil I had a beautiful homebirth. I took a full four ounces, 2 oz at a time with orange juice, and had no problem with getting nauseas, just cleared my bowels, contractions started, and moved on!
#18 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 01:13 PM

Oh,I guess I should mention as unpleasant as I found castor oil,it didn't cause any problems.

#19 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 01:21 PM

It was pretty gross (tastes disgusting, causes yucky side effects) but it worked. I was a few days away from having to transfer care from my MW to an OB and have a hospital birth, since I was almost 42 weeks pregnant. My MW actually told me how she would prefer me to do it: castor oil in milkshake, hot shower, some "good" sex (haha at that very pregnant stage ) and then a long brisk walk. I took it at 10 am and finished the protocol at 1. I decided to keep taking walks because I was feeling crampy and wanted to go into labor. I ended up only having 2 hours of labor total with the last hour only being the active stage, ds was born that evening at 8pm. Very intense and fast, in fact so fast my MW didn't make it in time. Just wanted to add that last little warning because I have heard many similar stories from overdue mamas who had very rapid, intense labors too. If your MW okays you doing it and you feel comfortable with that extra nudge, then its worth a try. Hopefully you will have your baby very soon and you won't need it! Good luck mama, wishing you a happy, easy birth!

~Rebecca~
mama to a sweet girl , & 4 silly boys

#20 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 06:35 PM
pjs

I took it at 41w6d to avoid being risked out of the bc. I only took a tablespoon (and take it in the morning, to decrease the likelihood of going into labor in the middle of the night so you can be more rested) and thought it wasn't going to work. The first 4 hours nothing happened. ThenI had diarrhea for an hour, then my water broke and three hours later I was holding my ds. My mw said it is not certain if castor oil causes mec in utero or if it is because of being farther along in pregnancy that it would happen anyway. I'd rather not have to take it, but if I was being risked out of hb or bc I definitely would do it again.
#21 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the great information ladies. I am going to go as long as I can before I try to induce. I think I will try castor oil, It seems like most people I talk to who have used it have had good results. Maybe I'll go to the co-op and get some Evening Primrose to try too. I also will try the breast pump method, although I have heard it can be pretty painful..... Not that intestinal cramping and pooping for hours will be any more comforting Hopefully my little baby will decide to come soon on his own... I'll let you all know how it goes, I have another appointment with my midwife on thursday and we'll have to talk about whats gonna go down.... Thanks again mamas.

Peace.

Eleshia
#22 of 25 Old 01-29-2007, 11:40 PM

Did it. It was horrible but it worked. I'd do it again if I were in the same spot (facing a hospital birth if I didn't labor soon).

I was lucky though....I spent the whole day dealing with the effects of the castor oil, getting great contractions which then petered out that night. I was devestated. I'd just spent the day with diarreaha and vomiting only to end it with no baby. The next day I was OB day, something I soooo wanted to aviod. I woke to my water breaking at 1:30am and 6 intense yet amazinging and wonderful hours later I had my baby in my arms, at home. It was a gift to have the stuff out of my system before labor got started in earnest.

Almost did it with my second but couldn't bring myself to drink it. We also weren't in the place where we were with #1. We were unsure about dates (rather intentionally) so I wasn't stuck to the calendar.
#23 of 25 Old 01-30-2007, 10:36 AM

my water started leaking around 6am on my due date, but w/ no contractions etc. i had 24hrs to get the baby out or would have to go to the hosp, so around 3pm i had a castor oil shake (oj, vanilla ice cream, a little oil, maybe 2 tbsp?), it did clean me out, and start mild contractions around 4pm but i wasn't uncomfortable or anything, and the runnies were fine, no cramping or anything. the contractions progressed slowly and at 9pm active labor, 11:30pm delivery. so it didn't give me a jump start, just a little push. so my experience was find, DD was fine, i would do it again if i had to.
#24 of 25 Old 01-30-2007, 01:13 PM

gosh, I get so frustrated with all these women being threatened with hospital transfers because of homebirth protocols! it's horrible!

I'm fine if women want to induce their labors because THEY want to - but it's so sad to hear of women having to force their bodies because of some rules. at homebirths no less!
#25 of 25 Old 01-30-2007, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
gosh, I get so frustrated with all these women being threatened with hospital transfers because of homebirth protocols! it's horrible!

I'm fine if women want to induce their labors because THEY want to - but it's so sad to hear of women having to force their bodies because of some rules. at homebirths no less!
Yeh,for me it was more of a medical thing.My blood pressure was really going up and I was having blood platelet "issues" so my midwife was starting to get a little concerned.She was great though and I never heard anything about being too overdue.That didn't seem to be an issue for her.It is too bad that there are so many"rules" for homebirth.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page