Natural labor after induction? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 01:52 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is anyone hoping for a natural labor after an induction? I was induced at 40 wks with mild late on-set pre-e with Anneke. I was induced with cytotec and pitocin. Labor was painful and very very intense, but I managed without pain medication, so I'm not worried about the pain of natural labor.

I keep going back over Ani's labor and thinking how it will compare to this one, but it's hard to know what is pit-induced and what was how my body labors.

For instance, in later labor, just before transition, during, and during pushing, my contractions came in threes. I'd get three mega-contractions all together and then get a minute or two break. (which was heavenly.) I wonder if that would have happened naturally, or if it was just how my body reacts to pit.

I suppose I'm just trying to figure out what I can learn from my last labor. Or if the next will be totally different. Or if all labors are totally different anyway. I probably should just quit dwelling on my last labor.

Can I at least hope that natural labor won't be as painful and crazy as my induction?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 02:00 AM

Great question!! I like to know too! My first two were both induced, and I really want to know what labor is like without pit!!! I want to do this on my own this time!!!!
#3 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 02:49 AM

hee hee...i'm waiting for the answers to this one too!
#4 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 03:13 AM

My labor with DS2 was so much easier than with DS1. I kept waiting for those horrible contractions to hit, like I had with DS1, and they never really did. We had been walking the mall the night he was born to try to get labor going, because I was at the manditory induction day the next day. I kept getting these painless tightening of my uterus, to me I thought they were Braxton Hicks Contractions. When they hit, they were so so so tight I would have to stop, there was not pain just extreme tightness. When we left the mall, they were about 5-7 minutes apart, lasting about 60 seconds. I had no clue it was true labor, but we called the Midwife to ask her what was going on and to see if I should come in because the tightness was so so so hard to deal with because it was taking my breath away. Well, we waited an hour and a half, and by the time she called back they had slowed down and I had not had one for 20 minutes.

About an hour after she called me back, I started having the exact same thing. I figured it was more Braxton Hicks, like the Midwife also thought they were, so I went to take a nice relaxing hot bath to make me a bit more comfortable. I had also started timing them, and they were 5 minutes or less apart, but no pain. After I got out of my bath, I was sitting on the bed and for like 15 minutes I had this painless extreme tightening one on top of the other, like 2-3 minutes apart lasting for about 90 seconds each. At the end I was starting to feel crampy, so I went back and got into the tub, oh and kept having the feeling I need to poop and pee. About 20 minutes later I asked hubby to bring my birthing ball in....I figured I was in early labor. I had a nice set up in my bathroom...I went from tub to toilet to birthing ball to hands and knees to tub whenever I had felt the need to change positions. Around 2:00 DH wanted to know how close together they were, so he started timing them. They were 2-3 minutes apart lasting 60 seconds. Around 2:30 we called the Midwife and she told us to call the birth center...we called and they said to come in. At this point they contraction were starting to become painful (like my bad cramp day of AF where I just want to curl up and take lots of drugs for them to go away). By the time we got to the hospital I couldn't walk through contraction any longer. I didn't think I could take much more labor, because I figured I was maybe only 4-5 CM and it was going to be just as bad as with DS1.

When I got in and they were finally able to check me, I relaxed and let out all the tension, because I found out I was 9 CM bulging bag of waters, and on my way to 10. The baby was going to be born in a very short time and I could handle and had been handling the pain very well. I think the hardest part of pushing was feeling the "ring of fire", it felt so wierd, but after it hit, I didn't feel anything down there till after birth. It is almost like a natural anastetic.

I too had 3rd degree tearing and they were able to do the stitches with local anastetic but did take me back to the OR so they could have the really good/bright lights to see by so they could do a good job on the repair.

DS1 was a hospital induction and I wasn't able to relax and wasn't dialating or effacing even after 18 hours, so I was told epidural and labor a bit longer or start the prep for a c-section. I chose the epi...over a c/s.

Hope that helps anyone. My second birth was very healing from the traumatic birth I had with my first.

I am hoping this pregnancy is healing for me.
#5 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 06:59 AM

I'm not an expert on induction, but I can tell you as a general rule that your body will almost always be kinder and gentler to you than pit. Above and beyond worrying about how the sensations will differ, I suggest doing whatever you need to do to process and let go any emotions you have concerning your previous experience. Write, talk, pray, create, do whatever you need to do. This is a different baby, a different labor, which I'm sure will be much better without the pit! HTH.

Living simply with the loves of my life! :::
#6 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 04:32 PM

I am very much hoping for natural labor this time! (Which sounds kind of weird, since it seems like all my friends are doing everything they can to avoid anything "natural" about labor/delivery.) My first was a pit induction for no other reason than being 10 days "late."

The contractions took 12 hours to kick in but they were the most awful, horrible, ripping pain imaginable. They would start with no warning, no buildup, and then abruptly quit giving me about 30 seconds to breathe or talk to my husband. After 6 hours of that I submitted to the epi, then two hours later started pushing for four hours. . . my son was born with a vacuum extractor, huge bloody welts on his head from where they were hitting him with it. I had a 3rd (almost 4th) degree tear no thanks to the massive episiotomy they cut and kept "enlarging." It tooks many months before that stopped hurting.

All I can say is that natural labor and homebirth have to be a piece of cake compared to induced labor! Our bodies don't naturally treat us that way. (Right? Right? Please someone tell me I'm right?!?)

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#7 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 PM - Thread Starter

I am feeling better already! Keep those positive second birth experiences coming!
#8 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 04:49 PM

I have never been induced so I don't know if I can truly contribute to this conversation but I have to say that it sounds worse with the Pit from what I've heard because your body gives you more of a break in between contractions in natural labor....

also, usually (not always) the 2nd labor and birth go more easily (if the word "easy" can be applied here) than the 1st.

for me that was the case because I knew how bad it could get and anything before that was like a walk in the park (until I was in transition and the baby was descending and I had that awful back/tailbone pain with each contraction).....

but if you went through labor on pit without epi (quite a feat) then your natural labor should be less painful......it will still hurt but you have the confidence of having done it before and that physchological edge can really help as labor is really a mental game....
#9 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 05:43 PM

Holy cow! You were induced with cytotec and lived to tell about it? That's practically a miracle!

You should reead Dr. Marsden Wagner's book on the high rate of deaths from cytotec inductions. It's a harrowing read.

Born In The USA
#10 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 05:46 PM

I did it the other way around. I did not have to be induced with dd1 and things were great. Pain was so manigable that I was holding conversations with people until I was 8 cm. and it went quick (that may just be my body though. I would recamend a natural birth to anyone and I think pain medication is unnessisary because if you relax and let your body work it takes care of al that for you. DD2 (born 1/4/07) on the other hand, my cervix was unreactiv and I had to be induced with pitosin after breaking my water didn't even work. I think the pit-induced contractions were 10 times worse than natural and the final contractions were so different. Natural pushing contractions do more of the work for you where as the pit induced contractions only gave that urge. And from what I can remember, the natural contractoins were not 3 at a time or one major one followed by one that was barely there. They were all productive at the end.
#11 of 16 Old 02-13-2007, 05:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
Holy cow! You were induced with cytotec and lived to tell about it? That's practically a miracle!

You should reead Dr. Marsden Wagner's book on the high rate of deaths from cytotec inductions. It's a harrowing read.

Born In The USA

I know, the pre-e came on so suddenly and I was so poorly educated when it came to induced labor that I allowed the cytotec. I said to my doctor when she told me she wanted to use it: "Isn't that a pretty controversial medication?" She said, "No." . Luckily, I didn't have any problems with it. I will never use it again, though, since reading about it.
#12 of 16 Old 02-22-2007, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post

Born In The USA
that was my first thought!

Herbalist.Doula.Photographer. 
Euphoric Birth, Euphoric Herbals, Euphoric Photography

#13 of 16 Old 02-22-2007, 02:23 AM

I don't know how much I can help here. I was induced last time but did not recieve pit (I said no, twice.) I was induced with cytotec (orally) and broken waters. Obviously I didn't know better at the time. Although I would not have consented to cytotec vaginally. My contractions really didn't start becoming regular and strong until 5 hours after my induction. That was after at least 2.5 hours of walking.
My contractions were very regular and increased in intensity at a very regular pace. Until I thought I couldn't handle it anymore (transition) then I (purple)pushed my baby out in half an hour (in the lithotomy position.) I had a lot to learn. In total I was in labor for 6 hours. I still don't know how much the cytotec really affected my labor. I tend to think that it was mostly the broken waters that brought on my labor since it took so long for it to really get going. I still consider it a great day even though I know now it could have been much better. I was in a hospital-affiliated birth center and recieved no other intervention other than my induction.
Needless to say, I'm really looking forward to my upcoming homebirth this time.
#14 of 16 Old 02-22-2007, 02:32 AM

Hi,

I was induced with my first at 39 weeks. I was given Pitocin and my membranes were stripped the day prior to my induction. (All of this because my OB was going out of town

My pitocin contractions were insanely intense. They were very regular though. It ended up being a horror of a birth story . I won't go into the whole thing here.

I went into labor naturally this time. My DD is 4 months. It was a very slow easy transition into labor. I had really mild contractions all day long. Around 9:30 or so at night they started to get moderately strong and started coming every 5 minutes. When we got to the birthing center the midwife had me start walking. She told me to just walk through my contractions. They got pretty crazy towards the end. It all seemed pretty out of control at the time . They were NOTHING like pitocin contractions though. Yes they were strong and I definitely knew they were there but they were no where near as intense and painful. My little one got here in 4 hours and with 15 minutes of pushing.

I absolutely would go for a natural labor anyday over an induction after my two experiences.

Good Luck!
#15 of 16 Old 02-22-2007, 02:51 AM

Thanks mamas for sharing My firsbirth was 20+ hour induction, basically a horror story. I am having a HB in April. Reading this thread is really encouraging
#16 of 16 Old 02-22-2007, 10:17 AM

My experience with hospital and home birth could not have been more different.

My first labor was induced/augmented with pitocin. At 39w 6d my water broke but contractions didn't start. I knew I had a (somewhat flexible) 24hr window, so I stayed at home and ate and rested and tried some diy methods. After 12hr & still no contractions, I went to the hospital. I wish I'd known better.

The contractions caused by the drip were excruciating. I coped with them for about 3 hours. It was the worst pain I've ever experienced. It might have been better if I could have gotten out of bed, but really, the pain was so great that I couldn't move. The anesthesiologist came in and offered me an epidural. I took it. After it was in place I dilated from 6cm to complete in an hour--while sleeping. When I woke up there was a nurse in the room & I told her I thought I'd pooped the bed & asked her if she'd check. She pulled back the sheet and said "Oh My! That's your baby's head!" I didn't have any urge to push, so we just waited around for the ob to arrive....

My 2nd was born at home. I had several evenings worth of stop & go contractions, until finally they progressed instead of stopping. I labored all over my house, and honestly, none of those contractions caused pain. They were strong. They required every bit of my concentration. A couple of them left me drooling and gasping...but they didn't hurt. At one point I came out of "laborland" for a moment and there was dh, shining and glowing and I looked into his eyes and they were laughing, and I realized that we were doing it! I was having a baby and he was helping me! I laughed out loud (later we learned this really alarmed the midwife.)

A few minutes later the other midwife arrived and the moment was over and the room was hot and busy and I felt crowded and I didn't like it. So I stood up to leave--I don't know where I was going, but I needed to go! Instead I squatted and pushed. At that time I felt a wave of fear and I remember saying "it hurts" and being surprised that it did hurt. Fortunately it went away as soon as I said it. I pushed twice more and our daughter was born.

homeschool.gif mom to dd (11) read.gifand dd (9) crochetsmilie.gif and ds (3) bikenew.gif and  dog2.gif(x2)

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page