Legal homebirth midwives in New York State - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 09:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello all,

I'm working on compiling a list of currently practising LEGAL homebirth midwives in NY state. I'm involved with a homebirth advocacy/activism group in upstate NY, and we are trying to establish ourselves as a resource for homebirthers across the state. We're hoping to have a comprehensive list of legal providers on our website (http://homebirthers.org).

I would be terribly appreciative if anyone here would give me the name and contact info of their own homebirth midwife, and any others you happen to know of. Before posting anything on our site, I intend to contact each midwife to verify her status, as well as ask her permission to list her. If you feel more comfortable sending me this info in a pm, that's fine.

Thank you in advance! I hope our group can become a real resource for New York.
#2 of 14 Old 03-10-2007, 10:50 PM

I was just coming here to post a question asking about homebirth in NY Not PG yet, but am entertaining the idea of homebirth VBAC, but I don't know if midwives can attend one here. It would be great if you could find that out too, if the midwife was willing to do VBAC at home and note that on the list.

Loving WAHM/Student Mommy to DD (6.5) and DS (2.5)  

#3 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 10:42 AM

your list for western NY will be pretty short.

meg grindrod, CNM is about it. and yes she does lots of VBACs.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#4 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 03:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the name. I know, it's slim pickings all over the state, except downstate.
#5 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 03:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootchsMom View Post
I was just coming here to post a question asking about homebirth in NY Not PG yet, but am entertaining the idea of homebirth VBAC, but I don't know if midwives can attend one here. It would be great if you could find that out too, if the midwife was willing to do VBAC at home and note that on the list.
That's a great idea. I'll definitely make sure I note that on my list. I totally didn't think of that! And good luck on your future VBAC
#6 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter

Oh, and Scootchsmom--what part of the state do you live in? As I come up with more midwives I can pass them along to you.
#7 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 03:13 PM

It's my understanding that most homebirthing midwives are practicing underground in NYS. Direct-entry midwifery is illegal in NY, and CNMs have to work under the supervision of OBs - who tend to shy away from homebirth.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#8 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spero View Post
It's my understanding that most homebirthing midwives are practicing underground in NYS. Direct-entry midwifery is illegal in NY, and CNMs have to work under the supervision of OBs - who tend to shy away from homebirth.
well, there aren't even very many of those. there were 2 in buffalo who mainly served the amish community, but one moved and the other isn't practicing.

i'm guessing there is someone in the southern tier serving the amish, but i have no idea who, and i know there is someone nearer syracuse, but again i don't know who.

CNMs don't have to work under the supervision of OBs. if they practice in a hospital the hospitals require the supervision of the midwife. a homebirth midwife needs to have an OB to whom they can refer in an emergency or otherwise. no supervision required.

"Someone I loved once gave me a box full of darkness. It took me years to understand that this, too, was a gift." -- Mary Olivercoolshine.gif

#9 of 14 Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsvs View Post
Oh, and Scootchsmom--what part of the state do you live in? As I come up with more midwives I can pass them along to you.
I'm currently in Queens, but we're moving to either Orange or Rockland county in the next few months.

Thanks! If you want my email address, PM me.

Liz

#10 of 14 Old 03-12-2007, 07:00 PM

I could not find the list of providers on the web site but there are MANY in NYC! I am working with Marcy Perlman Tardio but interviewed Joan Bryson and several others when I was making my decision.

Megan Davidson, Labor & Postpartum Doula, Breastfeeding Counselor, Anthropologist, Mom to August (9) and Clay (4), Partner to Shawn.

#11 of 14 Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybeedreams View Post
CNMs don't have to work under the supervision of OBs.

a homebirth midwife needs to have an OB to whom they can refer in an emergency or otherwise. no supervision required.
You're right, I shouldn't have used the word "supervision".
However, the law is worded so that the collaborating physician technically gets the final say.

Quote:
Licensed midwives are independent practitioners with expertise in the care of essentially healthy women. Under New York State law, licensed midwives are required to establish and maintain a collaborative relationship with physicians, and to practice in accordance with a written agreement with a licensed physician or a hospital. Such agreements provide for physician consultation, collaboration, referral and emergency obstetrical coverage and include written guidelines and protocols. Agreements also include guidelines for identification of pregnancies which are not considered normal and the procedures that are to be followed in such cases. They provide that the judgment of the collaborating physician will prevail as to whether the pregnancy, childbirth or post-partum care is normal and whether the woman is essentially healthy, unless otherwise provided in the practice protocol. Licensed midwives consult with, co-manage or refer patients to collaborating physicians when a woman's and/or a newborn's condition indicates the need.
http://www.op.nysed.gov/midwifeqa.htm

Quote:
if they practice in a hospital the hospitals require the supervision of the midwife.
Sorry - can you explain that?

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
#12 of 14 Old 03-13-2007, 01:52 PM

I have a New York specific question regarding midwife care:

I had GD during my first PG, never that bad, just had to watch my diet to keep my numbers under control. Is that going to risk me out of a midwife birth? I keep hearing about GD moms being told to go to an OB and that midwives won't do a homebirth with GD. Or is it up to the individual midwife to determine if it is a severe enough case to warrant sending me elsewhere?

#13 of 14 Old 03-13-2007, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScootchsMom View Post
I have a New York specific question regarding midwife care:

I had GD during my first PG, never that bad, just had to watch my diet to keep my numbers under control. Is that going to risk me out of a midwife birth? I keep hearing about GD moms being told to go to an OB and that midwives won't do a homebirth with GD. Or is it up to the individual midwife to determine if it is a severe enough case to warrant sending me elsewhere?
not all midwives even believe GD is a real diagnosis, so it will really be up to the individual mw. it's a good thing to ask ahead of time.

#14 of 14 Old 03-14-2007, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSAX View Post
I could not find the list of providers on the web site but there are MANY in NYC! I am working with Marcy Perlman Tardio but interviewed Joan Bryson and several others when I was making my decision.
I am working with Marcy too. I first contacted Joan, but she is unavailable in August.

Leigh, mama to Rostislav homeborn Aug 9 2007, and Oksana homeborn Feb 24 2011.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page