anyone used the rubbermaid horse trough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 12:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Can anyone comment on the Rubbermaid troughs? Either the 100 or 300 gallon size?

I am considering doing something more than a fishy pool and I feel most drawn to the trough! (I'm tall--I want something deep....and I use the fishy pools all the time with clients, but for me, I don't know. Something about them bothers me).

I know some speculate that the hard bottom and sides would be a problem for them in labor, but that's kind of appealing to me. I don't know-leverage? Just seems more grounding. But maybe when I'm in the throws of it all I'll regret not having a cushy tub to lean into? Who knows. But I'd love to hear from you all out there who HAVE labored in a trough. YEE-HAW!
#2 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 01:02 AM

We used a horse trough and I LOVED it. We bought the oval variety. You should have seen us at the feed store. Me (8 months pregnant), Dh, my dad, and my mom. I climbed into one trough after another finding the perfect fit.

Something to consider if you're calling around asking for troughs and you don't want to get into the whole "homebirth" arguement, is to ask if they have troughs large enough for baptisms. The first store I called I asked if they had a trough big enough "for a body." The ominous silence after THAT declaration was awful. I stuttered my way off the phone and vowed not to go to that store, lest the police be waiting for me.

Somewhere around here there is a great link for detailed instructions on lining a horse trough. We didn't use that link but essentially did most of the things suggested. We padded our trough, added a pillow to one side, lined it with a sheet, and covered it with a clear tarp. (a.k.a two new shower curtains taped together.) We taped EVERYTHING down with duct tape.

Picture of completed trough available here.

The tub in use. About a half an hour or so before DD2's birth.
#3 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 01:09 AM - Thread Starter

Hysterical!

I've never heard of all these improvements that can be made to the trough, so good to know! And thanks for the pics!
#4 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 03:53 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
My DH walked in as I was reading that and I had to share with him, too! Too funny!

I haven't used or really considered the troughs BUT had to post and say what a lovely portrait that is, Baby Hopes! And it's good to know that there are things you can do to make it more comfy!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 09:59 AM

interesting thread b/c my dh (a farmer) wanted me to use one and then he could have it afterward i was turned off by how hard it is...but sounds like that could be changed with some padding and duct tape...

too late, i ended up getting a fishy pool, but i can understand why a trough would be better for taller mamas...the pool is not as deep as it looked (works for me, i'm very short)

mama  to 3 farmboys (, & ) and 1 farmgirl ()
#6 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 01:19 PM

yes this is what we did with the horse trough we used for births I think it is the 100 gal one--we put pillows down on the bottom-- but I guess you could line the whole thing with foam and a pillow/some pillows on one side cover with a sheet that is light colored- because the tank lined but with no sheet is so black hard to see mec in the water or blood/amount of blood- with a sheet you can see. and the other good thing with having it lined is that more than one client can easily use the same tank -- yea for re-use
what I like about the stock tank is it takes less water than an aqua doula but you still get depth- and there is some place for mom to grab on to or put her feet against if she wants to.

still my all time favorite is the fishy pool
#7 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 01:19 PM

I was very glad to see this thread, even if just for the photo of the 'renovated' tub! I emailed to my midwife, asking if she had seen anything like this before and she said people do all kinds of things to hers - she doesn't care as long as it comes back the way she sent it out .

I'm going to pick up an egg-crate foamy from the thrift store to outfit mine, I think. And some disposable blankets from same!
#8 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 04:01 PM

I've had two babies in the water and both times we used the Rubbermaid horse trough--I think it was the 150 gallon version. I really can't recommend it highly enough. They're wide and deep, easy to fill and drain, portable, and they retain heat very well. The only modification we made was to have a pillow for me to lean against the side to rest my head on, but we never used any other padding and it was very comfortable. Also, as another poster said, having the solid sides was actually nice because I could really lean into it.

The reactions you get are pretty funny, though. When I called the local farm supply store to see if they had the size I was looking for, the man asked me what kind of animal would be using it. I thought about it for a second and decided to just go ahead and tell him. "I'm actually planning to have a baby in it." There was a long silence, until he finally said in this totally deadpan voice, "Well that's a first."

And then a few years back my 10 year old got into the annoying habit of leaving doors open behind him every where he went. One day I'd had enough of reminding him to shut the door and yelled, "What's your problem?! Were you born in a barn?!" He looked at me with this sly grin on his face and said, "No. I was born in a horse trough." I had to admit that was a good comeback

Katie
#9 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 04:41 PM

LOL!!!

My mw has one of these and I have seen it sitting around and wonder how comfy it is. It never occurred to me that you cuold line it. Good to know!
#10 of 36 Old 03-24-2007, 04:49 PM

We set one up for my second and third births. Second was a waterbirth, third I just used it to labor in. We didn't line ours, I loved that it was deep and dark because it helped me to feel less exposed (which was its primary benefit for me,) however the midwife did want me out after the birth to check bleeding and to deal more aggressively with the placenta which was taking a while. (Now I'd tell her to check my vitals and relax, and I'd get out when I was ready. ) I did sort of get stuck in a kneeling position which was hard on my knees, although that was really more about retreating into myself and not feeling comfortable moving around a lot while being observed, and because the midwife told my husband to get in the tub with me which meant I had less room to move around anyway. With my third I swam around into different positions and mostly squatted while holding onto the edge of the tub (the water is wonderful for squatting because the buoyancy holds you up) so it wasn't an issue, although if I were to get a tub again I'd get a bigger tub I think and line it with something cushy.
#11 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 12:45 AM

I wanted to say that one of the things we did when lining the tub was that we cut pool noodles in half and taped them to the edge. Our midwife couldn't stop talking about how comfortable that was for her to lean against. (Instead of just the edge of the trough.) Might be worth thinking about doing.
#12 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 01:40 AM

How deep are these troughs? I love the idea of it being deep enough to hold onto the edge and squat. The fishy pool I used last time was NOT deep enough for that sort of maneuver, even though it was VERY comfy and great for laboring in.

And the pool noodle idea is brilliant!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#13 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 11:10 AM

Sitting straight up, the tub came to just above my should blades, but under the line of my shoulders. We filled it up enough to cover my stomach.
#14 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

The rubbermaid ones are about 25" deep.
#15 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 04:31 PM

I used the 150 gallon one, looks like the one in the pics without the comfy additions. (Thanks for the great idea...I just might do that this time!). I loved this tub because I had plenty of room to move around and lean on the edges for support. I did want to get out right after the birth because we had the water too high to sit and nurse comfortable.
#16 of 36 Old 03-25-2007, 10:00 PM

How much did you pay for your horse troughs? thanks!
#17 of 36 Old 03-26-2007, 01:03 AM

Twice. The first time I was in the tub for about 3hrs with no additional padding or anything. It was fine.

The second time around I did use a towel draped over the side to lean on.

I love the trough!
#18 of 36 Old 03-26-2007, 01:06 PM
Banned

this is fab.

and once finished using them--one could make them into quite nice water gardens.
#19 of 36 Old 03-26-2007, 11:13 PM

Wow I love all this info! I learn more with each pregnancy. My 1st 2 were hosp births & 3rd was water birth at a birthcenter which I loved! This time I want to plan a homebirth. Im 7weeks so I have some time to learn & plan. So my question is, how do you empty the troughs? What if we need to add more hot water during labor but it gets full? Im picturing using a bucket to scoop out the bath water while Im in there, & then using it to add the hot water??
#20 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Hopes View Post
We used a horse trough and I LOVED it. We bought the oval variety. You should have seen us at the feed store. Me (8 months pregnant), Dh, my dad, and my mom. I climbed into one trough after another finding the perfect fit.

Something to consider if you're calling around asking for troughs and you don't want to get into the whole "homebirth" arguement, is to ask if they have troughs large enough for baptisms. The first store I called I asked if they had a trough big enough "for a body." The ominous silence after THAT declaration was awful. I stuttered my way off the phone and vowed not to go to that store, lest the police be waiting for me.

Somewhere around here there is a great link for detailed instructions on lining a horse trough. We didn't use that link but essentially did most of the things suggested. We padded our trough, added a pillow to one side, lined it with a sheet, and covered it with a clear tarp. (a.k.a two new shower curtains taped together.) We taped EVERYTHING down with duct tape.

Picture of completed trough available here.

The tub in use. About a half an hour or so before DD2's birth.
Oh how HILARIOUS! Babyhopes, I haven't laughed *that* hard in a long time!
From the looks of your picture we used the same exact trough. No pillow, but foam, sheet and then 4 mil plastic from the hardware store and duct tape of course!
The tub & foam is a loaner from our MWs, and we'll likely borrow it again... depends on when their other clients are "due"...

orngbiggrin.gif mom of three with stork-suprise.gif on the way

#21 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 09:00 AM

I used one for my 1st homebirth and it was "okay" But my last homebirth I used the aqua doula and would never use the trough again, it was uncomfy for me compared to the Aqua Doula!

FYI-Mine was NOT lined, I never thought of lining it and my midwife never mentioned it...

Julie (34)
Mom to 3 boys + 3 girls = PERFECTION joy.gif
Collector of TOYS!
#22 of 36 Old 04-01-2007, 12:39 PM - Thread Starter

I am so ecited to hear everyone's trough success. Renting an aqua doula would be nice, but I'm in an area where it'd have to be shipped and I can't afford that right now. I think I'm sold on the trough, and I think I can recycle it into good use after my birth. Thanks ladies.
#23 of 36 Old 04-04-2007, 01:25 AM

I think that if we have another baby I will use a horse trough as well or maybe even the newer inflatable pools that are higher. I used the fishy pool because I'd seen it used so many times before but I am also very tall and have a really long torso. I spent a lot of time on my hands and knees and was freezing because I was pretty much totally out of the water when I was in that position.
#24 of 36 Old 04-05-2007, 11:45 AM

I birthed in a horse trough. I loved it. The padding that a pp rigged would be a nice touch. I might do that this time. To be honest though, I was so deep in laborland that I was not even aware of the hard sides and bottom.

The kiddy pools just don't look deep enough. I'm only 5'6" and I don't think my whole belly would even be covered. In the trough the water came up to my armpits or the top of my belly, depending on how slouched down I was.
#25 of 36 Old 04-05-2007, 06:55 PM

I'm trying to remember how deep the fishy pool covered me. I'm not thinking it was THAT deep. I had to get into a squatting/fours position and that really got my belly into the water. I'm also 5'6" and a plus-sized mama. I know it was COMFY but I certainly never had the "floating" sort of sensation!

#26 of 36 Old 04-13-2007, 04:05 PM

I have used a 300 gallon horse trough and loved it so much I just purchased one for my next birth ( any week now) ... It is round and perfectly deep. I would just float between expansions. The hardness never bothered me, it was big enough to float and stretch out in and solid enough to hold on to. I had a propane heater hooked up to it, and birthed my son Cedar (now 3) outside. This time I do not have a heater and will be doing an inside birth. I suspect it will hold the heat because of it's thickness. I will let you know how it goes!
Blessings
#27 of 36 Old 04-13-2007, 04:11 PM

I dont like the narrowness of them I like the fact that the pools are round so you have more mobility, also it very hard to see in them so even if you dont care for the midwife to be able to see your kids or your DH let alone picture wont be able to see with out a flashlight, which most mamas hate! I definitly prefer the fishy pool or best case aquadoula, However my husband likes to be in the tub with me when hes catching so the trough is pretty much out of the question, however I've been to about 3 births that occured in a trough.
#28 of 36 Old 04-13-2007, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh-tiggermom View Post
So my question is, how do you empty the troughs? What if we need to add more hot water during labor but it gets full? Im picturing using a bucket to scoop out the bath water while Im in there, & then using it to add the hot water??

You can use a Python drain & fill pump the same way you would for a fishy pool. Read the "Birth Pool Resources" sticky thread at the top of the forum for pictures and instructions. No buckets needed.
#29 of 36 Old 04-13-2007, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleep View Post
The kiddy pools just don't look deep enough. I'm only 5'6" and I don't think my whole belly would even be covered. In the trough the water came up to my armpits or the top of my belly, depending on how slouched down I was.
I'm 5'5" and in the fishy pool the water came up to my boobs.
#30 of 36 Old 04-13-2007, 04:50 PM

This thread gave me an idea, so I have added some links to sources for stock tanks to the sticky thread at the top of the forum.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page