What kind of birth did you have? - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: What kind of birth did you have?
Unassisted homebirth 33 100.00%
Midwife-attended homebirth 203 100.00%
Birth center or clinic 61 100.00%
Hospital birth 171 100.00%
Planned cesarean 10 100.00%
Emergency cesarean 49 100.00%
Other 23 100.00%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 131 Old 05-23-2002, 07:12 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I had a disappointing hospital birth. My husband and I were absolutely resolved against any interventions; however, labor was long, long, long, and the medical establishment/staff fear/lack of knowledge about natural birth on their part wore us down. Finally delivered my beautiful son vaginally, but by the skin of my teeth, after epidural and pitocin. A couple of my "favorite" quotes from this birth story: One nurse came in and stood there for a while, arms crossed. "Do you mind if I watch?" he asked. "I've never seen anyone do this without drugs before." And this from the doctor: "Okay, three more pushes and we wheel you in for an emergency c-section." I pushed him out on the second push.

As my friend says (who homebirthed her little girl): "Asking for a non-intervention birth when you go into a hospital is like walking into Kentucky Fried Chicken and asking for a veggie pizza. It just ain't on the menu."

So, I live and learn, and my next baby, due in a couple of weeks, shall be born right here. Just me and my husband, midwife and doula, in a birthing tub, comfy at home. The peace and joy I have felt in this pregnancy since we made this decision a few months ago, knowing that I won't be facing a hospital birth again, is extraordinary. I'll try to post again after the baby comes and share the story.

Thanks for reading!
#62 of 131 Old 05-23-2002, 09:52 PM

Thanks for sharing...

You can do it! Homebirth is cool...and don't forget hindsight is 20:20. Sounds like you made all the right decisions the first time, but were in the wrong place at the wrong time...
#63 of 131 Old 05-23-2002, 11:47 PM

Had a hospital birth by choice:
I knew it all; I wanted an OB because even if you have a CNM, CNM's need an OB for back-up. So then I read all the OB texts I could get my hands on from the University of Minnesota's biomed library.

I knew my Bishop score for my elective induction, because I studied it, and so I called my OB's 'bluff' when he said I could have an elective induction.

AROM, Pit, 2 epidurals, EFM, external toco, interuterine pressure catheter, urinary catheter, more meds pumped into me while I waited for the doc to arrive to deliver my baby, big ol' shot of lidocane in the perineum to numb me for the episiotomy (took a total of 20 minutes, or 5 contractions, to push baby out,) and a couple handfulls of ibuprofin & tylenol & stool softeners to round out the intervention-filled adventure.

Now I know more and will have a more pleasant time next time, with a doula and some type of midwife...hope to do it at home, but I've got to read up on GBS before I roll the dice on that one.

I called my doc's bluff, and I wasn't sectioned. I concider myself lucky.
#64 of 131 Old 05-25-2002, 12:25 AM

I'm "other," both times.

First birth began at a freestanding midwifery center. I labored there for 30+ hours and moved to the affiliated hospital at about 36 hours because my son was positioned in my pelvis in such a way that the midwife couldn't appreciate exactly where he was. Ultrasound showed he was a shoulder presentation, and I was painted up for a C-section and taken to the operating room. One last check showed he had decided to adjust himself! After a total of 41 hours of labor, it took only 3 or 4 pushes and he was born!

Second birth started at the same midwifery center. The one midwife I'd not seen during my pregnancy was on call, and she kept insisting I take the Stadol I had vehemently reminded the entire staff I would not take, since I think it made my first labor worse. Well, 3 or 4 hours of pain, with someone wheedling at you that "just half a dose" would help so much, is a hard thing to resist. I relented, the Stadol made labor horrible, and as soon as it wore off I said Okay that's enough of YOU. Take me to the hospital. As soon as I checked in, I was ready to push, so I probably should've just stayed put, but I feel good about taking charge. That birth was about 6 hours total, which I also felt really good about!
#65 of 131 Old 05-26-2002, 01:03 PM

I had a Hospital birth w/ drugs and that I thought for my first birth it went very well. I slept through pretty much the entire labor and woke up said its time to push and out she came in 45 min.!
#66 of 131 Old 05-30-2002, 04:51 PM
kat

I had a homebirth just 3 1/2 months ago with a midwife. I was so happy I didn't chicken out and go along with the pressure to be in a hospital. After deciding on the birth at home, we made it very clear to people how much safer it was and how much better it was for me mentally. That shut up most of the nay sayers. I did have a pediatric nurse give me a horror story she attributed to being a home birth. Like more problems don't occur at a hospital ? If I had been in a hospital I would have caved and gotten drugs and then probably a c-section because it took 3 1/2 hours to push the little guy out!

I had a very hard 24 active labor with back pain. Don't know for sure why. The little guys was positioned perfectly. I was smart and asked my friend who is a personal trainer to be part of the birth. She gave me counter pressure on my back for 12 hours. That's a friend. I would suggest to anyone having a home birth to ask a trusted friend to be there. She helped my husband and me more than I was aware of until way after. Hubbie was able to focus on me during and after. She set out food for us, washed my sheets. It was a great good deed.

It was so beautiful to just be alone with my husband and son that night. We became an instant family, bonded. Hard as it was I am an improved woman for the experience.

Mom of Declan born 2/23/02- my one and only.
#67 of 131 Old 06-04-2002, 01:33 PM

I was a planned birth center birth (we just didn't have the room and facilities at home, or would have been there)-a peaceful, beautiful place just a mile from our island home. But the water broke, we tried for 3 days to get labor going with everything under the sun, moxa to nipple stim. We were working with a wonderful midwife and friend, but also is required by her licensure to consult with an ob. We, of course, worried them greatly to go beyond 24 hours ruptured (I was not leaking any more, no temp, no vag exams-but they think only in terms of what they see in the hospital-with all that "microbial soup"), so by the 3rd day, agreed reluctantly to go in and be induced. After awhile on the Pitocin, I had a weak moment and requested an epidural. I wish I had made them check, turns out I had already went from 1-5cm. The Pit, not unexpectedly, lowered my BP, and the next thing we knew the babe's heart rate was also down and not coming back up fast enough. So in we went for a section. It was frustrating to see so little of my beautiful man the first hour (they denied my request and took him away for care, although dad was there), we did get to latch on in the recovery room. His apgars were great, Conor is a healthy, happy boy, of that I am thankful. But as a nurse who has attended more than a few high risk deliveries myself, I know where high tech is necessary and where parental wishes for a calmer birth experience can be honored. So it was a bit painful and disappointing for awhile, still gives me a ping of regret when I hear all your great stories.
#68 of 131 Old 06-04-2002, 03:12 PM
kat

Deb-n Hey don't regret. Grieve But don't forget how the most important thing is that you and the little guy are ok. I loved the home birth but I was regretting not being able to squat and walk as much as I lliked and "planned" because of the back pain. It is all such a mystery.

Before labor I had worked on a birth journal with my artwork. I tried to deal with the idea of a potential c-section. and felt ok with knowing that my intentions were there. If it happened I knew that I didn't ever give up the responibility to others. So many woman I've talked to dont' even know what the drugs are they are requesting. They just want out of the experience. I felt I did my child the best service just being informed and making choices on that not on social pressure. I believe whether I would have had a home or ended up at the hospital it was MY birth experience. And I was there for my kid all the way through it. So were you.
#69 of 131 Old 06-15-2002, 01:49 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
My first birth, with my son, was a planned homebirth with midwife. The second, with my daughter, was planned as another homebirth with our midwife but we transported to hospital less than two hours before she was.
#70 of 131 Old 06-15-2002, 02:01 PM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I meant to say "before she was *born*." Anyway, we transported because mommy was exausted and having incredibly urges to push at only 5 to 6 cm. My cervix was going back and forth between 5 and 9 and her head seemed to be lying transverse or military. Had a bit of fentonol at the hosp. and calmed down enough to dialate to 9 with a slight lip before I pushed her out - which took about 5 minutes. Not what I would have planned for - my son was totally natural - but I think things went well. She was very alert and took to the breast right away.
#71 of 131 Old 06-16-2002, 12:45 AM

Birth centre- Sheer detirmination and deathly fear of intervention
meant that I atempted to avoid that at all costs by labouring out of the way of any health professionals.
"Unassisted labouring" then a birth centre for the moment of birth. By that i mean I waited at home until I was absolutely sure the baby was coming. (after 12 hours labour) Steady contractions coming 2 minutes apart, 2 minutes in length then a 20 minute fast drive to the birth centre. The midwives could tell I was ready to birth as i ripped my clothes off, told dh to put on music, asked for the tub to be filled, jumped in and starting mooing deeply. There was a half hour lull/ transition, then the wonderful urge to push started. Ds was posterior so it took two hours for him to turn himself into the right position. The posterior backache was the only bit that was difficult to accept.
he was pushing on my cocyx - it still doesn't feel right two years later.
but Oh the endorphin high when he pushed his way out. The midwife was wonderful, low key , no internals/dilation measurment at all, just observation of my sounds.
At the moment of birth she stepped away and took photos, leaving my dh to catch the baby. it was so private and intense, I forgot she was there. Then she cleaned the room and left us to it. 12 hours later as night fell we checked out and slept our first night as a new family in our own bed. bliss.
#72 of 131 Old 06-16-2002, 02:21 AM

Maybebaby2- that sounds great. I loved reading your birth story. I was so excited that your midwife was so laid back. You are blessed.
#73 of 131 Old 06-19-2002, 03:08 PM

2 hospital births - my three year old was where I went to prenatals faithfully, went to childbirthing AND parenting classes (what a joke) had a blood pressure "scare" and everyone was concerned about how swollen I had gotten, and I was naively 1 day from walking into the hospital to be induced with Pitocin when I went into labor on my own 2 weeks past my "sell by" date.
I thought for a year after I had my first son that I had succeeded in "natural childbirth"- to the amazment of my freinds and family who thought I would have 1 contraction and scream for an epi- in bed for 12 hours straight, dehydrated, strapped to IV and EFM, had an amniotomy after they decided I hadn't broken my water "enouph", pushed with O2 mask on my face, in the supine postition, had an internal fetal moniter when they concluded he was in distress, got a shot of litacane in the yoni in prep for an episiotomy I didn't want (and didn't get, son came too fast, phew!), his cord was cut faster than you can say stat and he was taken to the peds team waiting a few feet away. I tore and "naturally" got stitches, even one in my cervix!
(Afternote- my son was in the NICU for three weeks recovering from his "natural" birth- pulmonary hypotension, and a punctured lung they blame on meconium, I blame on aggressive suctioning)

Second birth, same hospital, different attending and resident...
I was not as niave but not nearly as strong as I needed to be (although I did alright defending much of myself during labor and delivery)I tried breaking away from the chaos of prenatals and thier "concern" with my risk of pre-eclampsia, something that came up conveniently after I told them I'm not showing up, I am having this one at home. Their scare campaign worked unfortunately, and my labor at 39 weeks gestation was jumpstarted with cervadil. I got out of bed as much as I could, demanded 5 times to be let into the hot tub before finally getting it, where I reached transistion. I walked around the bed, back and forth when I was strapped to the EFM. I was stark naked and finished labor on my hands and knees while they litterally argued with me to get on my back so they could check me because they could tell I was pushing and stop pushing! When I was ready I landed on my left side and pushed my beautiful boy out, where he went straight to my tummy. To the awe of the staff, he started the "crawl" towards my breast. Dh had to litterally throw himself between the cord and the Dr with the clamp to avoid having them cut it right away, and they waited until it was white and done pulsing.

It was better to get to have my son right after the birth unlike the first, but there were still "fuck-ups". I was hooked to an IV again of dextrose and whilst busy admiring my new baby, they switched the IV bag to Pitocin for the afterbirth with out my knowledge or consent. They took him to the nursery "for a little while" so I could go to my room (ok, logical huh) and there I went, 4 hours after the birth, and for two more hours, deciding whether or not to take the needle out of my hand myself (the Pit was excruciating on my uterus) feeling like a helpless cripple whereas only hours before I had felt so triumphant. I demanded my baby the whole time before getting him. For the rest of our hospital stay, he had trouble nursing. When we got out of there, I swore I would never go back again.

And here I am awaiting my first homebirth...and my mother for the life of herself can't possibly imagine why I would be so "selfish" even though she was there for the first two births and she must have seen everything I had seen...talk about two different points of view~!! LOL.

Phew, I didn't mean for that to get long...
#74 of 131 Old 06-25-2002, 02:06 AM

one very assisted (IMO) homebirth and one beautiful freebirth or UC. i doubt i'd ever do it any other way. it was great!

Jessemomme--the selfish thing is a hard one. i grappled a lot w/that one myself w/ds. then i realized that really it is risky (for different reasons! ) in the hospital and that i was doing my baby a service by birthing him at home, peacefully w/no rubber gloves or anything non-family touching him. (however, trying to convince my mom was a different story. lol) good luck.
#75 of 131 Old 06-26-2002, 12:15 AM

INdigoLily,

Thanks for the chin up. ALready I have learned (though I had pretty much planned on it being like this anyways) that i Have to let it slide off my back, the negativity and comments that is, especially from my mother, who in the end is concerned, or should I say, afraid, because she loves me. But tuned out I am, especially after she did actually say that what I was doing was selfish and I knew there was no reasoning with her, no matter all that I know/ have learned.
If trying to have a peaceful and safe birth makes me selfish so be it! I deserve it!
#76 of 131 Old 07-10-2002, 09:59 AM

I had a cytotec induced homebirth by a well known midwife who had her CPM revoked.
#77 of 131 Old 07-10-2002, 06:02 PM

Barefooter,

I had heard rumors of midwives using dangerous cytotec, but never anyone coming out and saying it! I hope there was no damage to you and your baby...soem people come out of that unscathed...some regretfully not...
It is bad enouph OB's think usuing Cytotec is the birthing miracle drug, it is bad enouph that using on pregnant women is off-label and the drug manufacture themselves sent out a warning letter to obstetricians, who scoffed at it. That's bad enouph, it makes me ILL to thikn that midwives, who should traditionally hold women's body's and births sacred, use this. I am glad this one in particular lost her CPM.
If you are interested, please email me at kandsmom13 @ yahoo.com, and I will send you the address of the webmistress of www.birthlove.com. She has an entire up to date section on Cytotec and would more than love to hear from you. Who knows, maybe you already have your story or comments on there! LOL

Love,
#78 of 131 Old 07-10-2002, 10:25 PM

She has an entire up to date section on Cytotec and would more than love to hear from you. Who knows, maybe you already have your story or comments on there! LOL

Jesse,

I've been very out of the birth loop for a while but I did have my story on the birthlove site before it became private. It's titled "Take This Pill and Have Your Baby in the Morning."

Took me a long time to learn to become verbal about what happened to me, but I try to tell as many people as I can so that no one is left in the dark about the use of Cytotec at home or the practice of this particular midwife.
#79 of 131 Old 07-11-2002, 01:46 AM

Wow, Karen, I cannot believe you had that experience. I'll check out your birth story next time I visit Birthlove. Hope you and baby are unscathed by "the Devil Cytotec."
#80 of 131 Old 07-11-2002, 02:08 AM

I was in labor for about 48 hours. My ds's arm was stuck so it took a while, but it was still wonderful and I was so glad to be home as I knew the birth center would have moved me to the hospital by then. The next will be at home too if I can find as good a midwife as the last time, unassisted rather than the hospital. If there will be a next time...
#81 of 131 Old 07-11-2002, 08:07 PM

My first was a hospital birth. I was induced...Dr said my placenta might give out since I was overdue(8 days). We later learned what a DORK he was. Labor was 9 hours, 40 minutes of pushing. When my dds head was crowning the dr pulled my labia apart, I suppose to ease the head out. Needless to say I tore big time and was so swollen for about a week. After that birth experience I felt like I was in a car accident. And b/c I didn't know any better I thought it was great.
My second was a midwife assissted homebirth. So different from the hospital. 3 hours of labor with 20 minutes of pushing. This time no tears and my ds was a pound bigger than his sister! It was truly a great experience.
My third was a home waterbirth or, a water homebirth, however you want to look at it. Labor was long but not hard. This time our midwife got to hang out with us. As my dh said to her it was great to watch her do her magic. 10 plus hours of active labor, 17 minutes of pushing in the tub. My kids and dh were in the tub with me and my dh caught our dd. That was truly an awesome experience! Water was the way to go. It provided us with some special family bonding. I don't think I 'll ever forget that.
Even though my birthing experiences from my first to my third were worlds a part, they were both beautiful in their own way. It is because of my first dd that we changed our lives. For that I'm grateful.
#82 of 131 Old 07-11-2002, 08:52 PM

Barefooter,

That is great your story is up there...and it does sound familiar...I will be sure to go back and read it. Take care
#83 of 131 Old 07-13-2002, 12:17 AM

I had an unmedicated hospital birth with a mid-wife. It was supposed to be a waterbirth but the hospital only had one tub and it was being used. So I labored in a large bathtub at the hospital and only got out right at the end.

The next time though I would like a homebirth, I was too chicken with my first baby and I didn't know what to expect...

Kim
#84 of 131 Old 07-13-2002, 06:49 PM

Unmedicated beautiful hospital birth with CNM and my husband. I wanted homebirth but dh couldn't deal with this so I compromised. I labored 9 hrs. at home, was 9 cm on arrival to hospital, stayed 9 cm for a while, pushed 2 hours (1 1/2 hrs not real pushing without urge, 1/2 hr real pushing but still no urge). Had a lot of back pain that no amount of rubbing or position changing touched. Midwife said baby was not posterior, so I don't know what that was.
I second the above comment by maybebaby2 on the endorphin rush! Wheeee!
#85 of 131 Old 07-14-2002, 01:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I chose "other" because I had a homebirth with a cnm and an md (family practice doc, not an ob/gyn) in attendance. That was ds2, born almost four weeks ago! It was an absolutely wonderful experience, much better than the hospital experience with ds1......it was night and day!

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#86 of 131 Old 07-15-2002, 01:17 AM

Midwife assisted homebirth for us! It was the best experience of my entire life!
#87 of 131 Old 07-16-2002, 01:45 PM

I've had 2 hospital births and my last one was an unmedicated birth at a freestanding birthing center. I loved every minute of my experience, it was way way better than the hospital births. I labored in water until I was complete, then I decided to get out of the water and give birth lying on my side on the bed. I left the center 15 hours later and my son spent his first night at home.
I did not give birth at home b/c unfortunately I could not (laws in my province).

Anne
#88 of 131 Old 07-24-2002, 04:32 AM

This is my first child so I only have her story to share.....

I started out laboring at home, moved to the birth center (as planned) when I was in "active labor" and only 5 cm dialated....labored there for about 4 hours, blood pressure went TOO high, had to move to hospital (30 min away....in the car....sitting up ahhhhhhh)

Hated the hospital, small "labor and delivery" room, got an epidural, pitocin and they broke my water....all interventions I didn't want, but gave in to..... after about an hour they said that they couldn't keep track of baby's heartbeat, which didn't surprise me b/c all through my pregnancy when the m/w would find the heartbeat the baby would move....so the doc decided to do an internal monitor ( I had big objections to that, but they didn't care)

After laboring some more on drugs they said I was fully dialated and ready to push...my midwife had mentioned that she really wanted to get to her son's football game, so she hoped the baby came soon....I pushed a few times, midwife seemed frustrated that the baby wasn't coming down...the doc suggested a c-section, because of CPD. The midwife was supportive of this. :

Earlier on, when they first did the internal monitoring of baby's heartbeat they thought that there would have to be a c-section, the heatbeat was REALLY low

i had the section...was VERY medicated, and spent the rest of that day and the next loopy....all in all, I have to say that I hated this experience, only because I know that it can be so much better

So next time, I can't do a birthcenter (I'm high risk now), I desperatly want a homebirth, but I am very scared about having another unplanned section. I know I labored much better at home, no pressure. I don't know if I will use the same midwife, I think she is the only one in the area who does homebirths though...I will have to check this out

BTW: right after the baby was delivered the midwife left, she made it to her son's game, for what it's worth...

Rachel
#89 of 131 Old 07-24-2002, 10:09 AM

[QUOTE]This is my first child so I only have her story to share.....

Rachel,

This seems like it was a very difficult story to share, and I want to thank you for doing so.

Quote:
I pushed a few times, midwife seemed frustrated that the baby wasn't coming down...the doc suggested a c-section, because of CPD. The midwife was supportive of this.
Your midwife was deplorable and the Dr, ignorant. I can't count anymore how many times woman get "CPD" thrown at them so they can cut the baby out. (You can tell, I do not believe in CPD as a "real" diagnosis)

Quote:
Earlier on, when they first did the internal monitoring of baby's heartbeat they thought that there would have to be a c-section, the heatbeat was REALLY low -i had the section...was VERY medicated, and spent the rest of that day and the next loopy....all in all, I have to say that I hated this experience, only because I know that it can be so much better
You are right, it can be so much better. You were essentially robbed of the birth you dreamed of.

Quote:
So next time, I can't do a birthcenter (I'm high risk now), I desperatly want a homebirth, but I am very scared about having another unplanned section.
That birthcenters "won't take" vbac's really burns me...If you desperately want a homebirth, then that is the birth you should shoot for. I think that woman who wound up with c-sections were the ones that would do the "best" in an unhindered labor (e.i. no interventions, lots of encouragment, no "worry/concern" eminateing from attendants at all times). That you labored so beautifully at home is your proof and your truth.

Quote:
I know I labored much better at home, no pressure. I don't know if I will use the same midwife, I think she is the only one in the area who does homebirths though...
To use that midwife again would be a mistake - I know I am stating the obvious here. If you think she is the only midwife "in the area" look harder. I once thought there were no midwives in my area but asking questions (La Leche League is usually a good bet) led me to know about quite a few. <sigh> A midwive that agrees with "CPD" is a poor excuse for being a helper of woman. What other trouble would she throw at you, kwim?

Quote:
I will have to check this out
BTW: right after the baby was delivered the midwife left, she made it to her son's game, for what it's worth...
Wow glad you didn't inconvenience her too much! < sarcasm-snort> How long ago did this take place? are you planning on another baby or already pregnant?

It sounds like you are on the right track believe it or not....keep going with your gut. I can understand being scared of another section, the operation seems infamous of taking away woman's trust in their own bodies. (So I also can't count the times woman tell me they are planning "another c/s" because "my pelvis is just too small anyways") Your body works...it just wasn't given a chance at all. Keep reading VBAC stories and research of VBAC....and research of why unnessasary (pardon spelling, I am not awake yet ) c-sections happen.

Best of luck to you and your family, hugs!
#90 of 131 Old 07-24-2002, 03:23 PM

Jessemomme~

Thanks for your support....to answer your question NO, I am not pregnant now....My dd is only 8 mo....I think it will take me awhile to want to be pregnant again b/c of the birth experience I had...

Of course, there is a little voice inside of me that keeps saying "I want another baby now", I have to keep reminding that voice that I HAVE a little baby...we can wait ( I think that voice is my husband, maybe he is talking to me in my sleep )

When I do get pregnant I won't be going back with that midwife, I was also very frustrated b/c when I was laboring at the birth center, she was napping and having another midwife (who I didn't know) check me.....I asked another woman who had the same midwife if she had this experience and she said she did...she also ended up delivering at the hospital and had a horrible experience too.

BTW: this midwife wasn't my first choice, I had another midwife until I was 28 weeks...but she ended up quitting (long story) because the birthcenter that she worked at was under investigation....there had been an infant death, even though she wasn't involved she said it was too much pressure and left.

*sigh* so here I am confused, hurt and scared .....I KNOW this is not how I should feel about childbirth....

Rachel

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page