lets flood American Baby with homebirth stories! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My Midwife just emailed me that American Baby is doing a birth experiance survey. She suggested that us homebirthers do the survey so that we would be better represented (you all know the kind the reads American Baby!) So I did the survey, it's very quick and easy. Maybe if we all did it they would get a better idea of how many people really feel homebirth is the best way to go.

www.americanbaby.com
#2 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 02:40 PM

I filled it out. I mentioned that I'm an L&D nurse and knowing what I know, chose home!
#3 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 02:46 PM

I filled it out!
#4 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 02:53 PM - Thread Starter

Great!! Keep 'em coming!
#5 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 03:58 PM

I looked I can't find it :
#6 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 04:03 PM

# double
#7 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 04:52 PM

b'h

i filled it out.

i gave birth in a birth center, but i wrote in the comments section that next time i'm going to do it at home.
#8 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 04:56 PM

i filled it out, i said i birthed in a hospital with midwives but because everyone annoyed the crap out of me that next time i will be doing it at home.
#9 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 04:59 PM
Banned

Filled it out. Let them know that I birthed DS into my own hands. Pizza companies and FedEx 'deliver'. Women birth.

I loved (sarcasm) how they excluded any one but doctor/nurse after a certain point in the survey. Where did the midwife or other options go? Did the doctor or nurse read my birth plan? Of course not! My husband read it and our midwife, too.

Jeez...
#10 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 05:04 PM
Banned

meant to say, 'thanks!' for the heads up on the survey! Always love to be counted as another homebirther.

#11 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 08:53 PM

The question that kind of irked me was "Who helped the most with your labor?" and husband was not a choice. You could only choose Dr., nurse or someting else.
I hate that damn "magazine" I mean formula/sposie advertisement.
Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#12 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 09:54 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I filled it out, though I did not have a homebirth. In the comments section I wrote that next time I will plan a homebirth and that I am bfing my 18-mo-old.

Then I dinked around on their website and read the "Ask the Expert" stuff, and you know what, the CNM wasn't that different from the OB! She said that with twins, it's "possible" they may be delivered vaginally, but that sometimes the second twin needs a c/s after the first is born vaginally.:

She also said that triplets must be delivered by c/s. I was wondering, has anyone here had triplets at home, or even vaginally in a hospital, or known anyone who has? Maybe I will start a new thread.
#13 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 09:56 PM

I still can't find it! I can't bitch with you gals!! :LOL
#14 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 10:18 PM

took me 100 times to figure out the survey was on a pop-up, which I have blocked. So I finally found it and oye, really hard to apply those questions to unassisted birth, even homebirth in general!
#15 of 27 Old 06-12-2003, 11:39 PM

I had a midwife and after 13 hours of natural labor had an emergency cesarian. I said I will have a VBAC for #2. I strongly support and recommend homebirths!!! How I wish I could have said I had a homebirth, but I know it helps to simply let it be known that medically assisted hospital births are not are not everyone's ideal.

Thanks for posting the survey.

peace,
nappyhair
#16 of 27 Old 06-13-2003, 01:16 AM

I did this twenty years ago with a consumer affairs survey....

Good Luck with this...

I was ignored by some federal survey that was studying out of hospital births...I was told that they were not interested in home births....
#17 of 27 Old 06-13-2003, 01:53 AM

That was kind of fun- maybe, if nothing else the editor will learn something about birth!
#18 of 27 Old 06-13-2003, 03:48 AM

Hi everyone, I'm new but glad to see so many are into home and natural birth. I took the servey. It was incomplete in my opinion but I did my best to make up for it in the 'comments' section. I briefly compared my A.B.C. experience, which was actually good compared to most hosp. births to my home birth experience. The Doctor made the A.B.C. somewhat stressful which I attribute to a long labor (36hrs.) compared to 5hrs, mostly easy labor, at home five years later with a very un-intrusive midwife and my husband, some friends and my first child.
#19 of 27 Old 06-13-2003, 02:37 PM

I filled it out, too! I wrote a little thing in the comments section about how men who do strenuous physical activities to test their mind, body and spirit are labeled as "courageous" and are looked up to; and how women who birth naturally are kinda almost looked down on, like why do it natural if there are drugs available? I then wrote how both of my HB's were the most empowering experiences of my life and how they permanently changed the way I view myself and the world around me.
#20 of 27 Old 06-13-2003, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

This is so awsome! Wouldn't it be cool if the results of the survey were slightly skewed because so many of us reported our homebirths?! At the very least, I hope they mention in the results how many women actually believe in natural, drug-free birth.
#21 of 27 Old 06-13-2003, 09:28 PM

My mw forwarded this to me, too. I had a ball writing in the comments section. I was able to compare my hospital birth w/my awesome homebirth. I would actually think of picking one of these magazines up if I thought there was a chance that hb would be discussed in a positive way!

As far as that one question, I did have a midwife, but the person I found most helpful in my birth is a toss-up between the people not even listed as choices:

ME (I worked harder and gained more satisfaction than I'd ever imagined!)
my baby (made sure he showed me what he needed me to do!)
my partner (my dh knew when to be silent!)

I agree that maybe the editor will at least learn that we are out here (and not so "out there"!)

Warmly,

Amy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

#22 of 27 Old 06-14-2003, 05:23 PM

About a year and a half ago when I was pg with DD I got an issue of American Baby in the mail. I usually just trash it but saw on the cover there was a homebirth story. The story was ok - one thing I didn't like was the only reason the mom gave for wanting a homebirth was because she was afraid of needles. She went ahead with all the other 'mainstream' stuff - goop in eyes, vit K shot and she had her son circ'd so that he would 'look like dad'
I was disappointed because she didn't mention anyting about empowerment or having the kind of birth she wanted - just her fear of needles but maybe it opened some eyes.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#23 of 27 Old 06-15-2003, 12:41 PM

I filled it out and commented on the lack of questions about the midwife's role, as it only mentioned dr and nurse involvement. I called the poll predjudiced. Of course, relaxation during birth was not mentioned as a coping technique, nor was hugging on the old SO.

I wrote how I had a c-sec hosp birth with #1, supposedly CPD, then 2 HBACs with 2 more large babies.
#24 of 27 Old 06-15-2003, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I was really tempted to lie on this survey, to say I had a 14-lb first baby unassisted at home after a 5-hour labor.

Oh yeah, and that to start with I was 4'7" and 80 lbs!
#25 of 27 Old 06-15-2003, 05:10 PM

:LOL Greaseball, you're too funny! I do know a 100lb (not pg) 5 foot tall woman who gave birth to an 11 pounder at home in 6 hours though. I saw the video, it looked like she delivered a 3 month old!

Evergreen- Loving my girls Dylan dust.gifage8, Ava energy.gifage 4 and baby Georgia baby.gif (6/3/11).

#26 of 27 Old 06-15-2003, 08:18 PM

I filled it out! Thanks for posting to let us know it was there! Kate
#27 of 27 Old 06-16-2003, 06:03 PM

OMG, I love these things..I remember filling some out for a formula company which had the misfortune of mailing one to me: "Q: How many cans of formula have you purchased in your child's first year of life? A: NONE!!!"

Wouldn't it be so fabulous if the results of the survey caused them to scratch their heads, call an editorial meeting and say: "It appears that our demographic has changed from frightened, clueless first time moms to informed, opinionated homebirthers? How are we to explain this to our advertisers??" :LOL

Ah, a girl can dream.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page