can i homebirth in iowa, wisconsin or illinois? - Mothering Forums

can i homebirth in iowa, wisconsin or illinois?

acupuncturemommy's Avatar acupuncturemommy (TS)
10:15 PM Liked: 0
#1 of 23
05-04-2007 | Posts: 8
I delivered twins here in Austin,TX at home with midwives and would like have a homebirth for our next baby. We are planning on moving to my hometown of Dubuque, IA soon. Since it border WI and IL, we could also move there if the birthing laws are more friendly. Can anyone tell me where to find the laws on homebirths and midwives for these 3 states and let me know if homebirth is possible? We also don't vaccinate so I'm hoping that won't be a problem either. If anyone knows of midwives practicing homebirths in one of these 3 states please let us know! thanks!!!
AKmoose's Avatar AKmoose
10:29 PM Liked: 0
#2 of 23
05-04-2007 | Posts: 502
Just for the record...you can birth anywhere you want...but of course finding a midwife is another story...
Try this: Iowans for Childbirth Options and join the email list!
You'll soon realize Iowa is NOT mw-friendly (nor is IL I believe)...in fact, one of the Iowa City-area DEMs is currently being persecuted...however, that doesn't mean you can't find one. The moms on ICO will have names/contacts/ideas for you!

(we just moved away from Iowa City in the fall...and had a homebirth 3 years ago)
Midwife Kris's Avatar Midwife Kris
11:44 PM Liked: 10
#3 of 23
05-04-2007 | Posts: 556
As of May 1, 2007 direct-entry midwives are legal. There have been several licenses issued. Read the story here. They are not legal/licensed in Iowa or Illionois (though there is big progress in IL!).
StacyL's Avatar StacyL
01:06 AM Liked: 0
#4 of 23
05-05-2007 | Posts: 3,129
There are two HB docs in IL. Dr. Mayer Eisentstein and Dr. George Elvove. Google their names, and read Eisenstein's books, particularly on vaxes.

I lived in IL for two years. There's also several CNM's but I'm not sure how many do HB's. There is a MW named Bernice (forget her last name, I'll try to find it) and she does HB's too.
bdavis337's Avatar bdavis337
03:50 PM Liked: 12
#5 of 23
05-05-2007 | Posts: 5,976
I'm in Champaign/Urbana area in central Il, and I would LOVE to find a mw to attend a homebirth with me. Sadly, there is just nothing in this area at all. And regardless, they're not allowed/covered by my insurance. I'm considering a UC, but unsure of my options afterwards. If I need to transfer for medical emergency, will this jeopardize my baby's status (if baby is ok but *I* need help, will baby end up in the hospital anyway, just b/c I chose to homebirth on my own, etc). I hear too many stories of women who attempt to homebirth/uc, end up needing help and then get treated poorly by the medical staff that I'm really concerned about going that route.
JennP's Avatar JennP
04:22 PM Liked: 0
#6 of 23
05-05-2007 | Posts: 595
There is a birthing center in Des Moines, you can birth there or at home...Direct entry midwifes are not licensed but a CNP can be licensed in IA.

almosthomebirthcenter.com

I think this is the name, there are other midwives if you look in the yellow pages too.

JennP
SublimeBirthGirl's Avatar SublimeBirthGirl
05:52 PM Liked: 1063
#7 of 23
05-06-2007 | Posts: 3,428
I'm at my sister's house in WI, waiting for the homebirth of her first baby right now.
applejuice's Avatar applejuice
07:09 PM Liked: 87181
#8 of 23
05-06-2007 | Posts: 18,401
Illinois is the home of the AMA. There are midwives there, but the whole state is not midwife, homebirth friendly....Eisenstein has been around a long time...he and Dr. Mendelsohn were friends.

I thought IA and NB outlawed homebirths.
Valerie's Avatar Valerie
11:52 PM Liked: 13
#9 of 23
05-06-2007 | Posts: 330
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Illinois is the home of the AMA. There are midwives there, but the whole state is not midwife, homebirth friendly....Eisenstein has been around a long time...he and Dr. Mendelsohn were friends.

I thought IA and NB outlawed homebirths.

To be more precise, perhaps, homebirth itself is not illegal in any state. It is the person who attends that birth who may be regulated (or not) and who is vulnerable to prosecution in some states (including IA, NE and IL).

Valerie
Illinois
rere's Avatar rere
04:34 PM Liked: 151
#10 of 23
05-07-2007 | Posts: 4,295
I had a legally attended homebirth in Il.that was covered by my insurance.
bdavis337's Avatar bdavis337
05:35 PM Liked: 12
#11 of 23
05-07-2007 | Posts: 5,976
Could you elaborate on that? Are in up, mid or downstate in Il? Did you find a midwife through a birthing center, across state lines or otherwise?

Insurance coverage of course depends on the carrier and their list of approved providers.
rere's Avatar rere
06:04 PM Liked: 151
#12 of 23
05-07-2007 | Posts: 4,295
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
Could you elaborate on that? Are in up, mid or downstate in Il? Did you find a midwife through a birthing center, across state lines or otherwise?

Insurance coverage of course depends on the carrier and their list of approved providers.
I was in Chicago.I actually found her by googling homebirth Chicago.Where I found a list of homebirth midwves in my area.And lucked out that her office was walking distance from my house.I really didn't realize just how easy I had it until later after reading all the hard times women have with finding homebirth midwives.

Oh,and she is a CNW so she can legally attend homebirths in Il.

Yes,insurance differs of coarse.My husband works for a company that offers insurance that covers domestic partners and homebirth.That's nice.
LeighK's Avatar LeighK
08:29 PM Liked: 0
#13 of 23
05-07-2007 | Posts: 7
Bethany,

I know of some midwives who serve Champaign/Urbana area. If you'd like, contact me at [email protected]

Leigh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdavis337 View Post
I'm in Champaign/Urbana area in central Il, and I would LOVE to find a mw to attend a homebirth with me. Sadly, there is just nothing in this area at all. And regardless, they're not allowed/covered by my insurance. I'm considering a UC, but unsure of my options afterwards. If I need to transfer for medical emergency, will this jeopardize my baby's status (if baby is ok but *I* need help, will baby end up in the hospital anyway, just b/c I chose to homebirth on my own, etc). I hear too many stories of women who attempt to homebirth/uc, end up needing help and then get treated poorly by the medical staff that I'm really concerned about going that route.

gcibluebird's Avatar gcibluebird
12:39 PM Liked: 0
#14 of 23
05-08-2007 | Posts: 22
A friend of mine just had a midwife attended home birth here in the Des Moines area over the weekend. I can't remember the name of her midwife, but she's in Des Moines.
StacyL's Avatar StacyL
02:11 AM Liked: 0
#15 of 23
05-09-2007 | Posts: 3,129
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
There is a MW named Bernice (forget her last name, I'll try to find it) and she does HB's too.
Here it is:

Labor of Love Midwifery Service

Bernice Keutzer, CNM

Arlington, IL

815-894-2507
hollydlr's Avatar hollydlr
03:31 AM Liked: 0
#16 of 23
05-17-2007 | Posts: 107
Hey I don't know if there are any available on the eastern side of the state but there is a CNM in Council Bluffs, IA, who attends home births. Her service is called Exodus Homebirth and she has a website. I called her since there are so few homebirth midwives in NE and she was willing to accept me but was unfortunately already booked for my due date. Anyway, I bet she'd be happy to talk to you and be a great resource to find someone closer to Dubuque. GL!
mnnice's Avatar mnnice
01:57 PM Liked: 19
#17 of 23
05-17-2007 | Posts: 2,172
As somebody that's lived in both IA and WI. WI generally has a much more homebirth friendly vibe (don't know much about IL). I think I would contact WI midwives first and see if there are any problems with birthing in a state that doesn't recognize CPM's.

Here the WI midwives sitehttp://www.wisconsinguildofmidwives.org/findamidwife.htm
Belleweather's Avatar Belleweather
05:09 PM Liked: 16
#18 of 23
05-17-2007 | Posts: 3,197
Wisconsin just licensed midwives last legislative session and does recognize Cpms now. It's is pretty homebirth friendly culturally, at least in the southern part of the state -- up nort' you might find more problems and resistance, but that's because Wisconsin has a pretty substantial problem with rural health care access in the north part of the state.

Honestly, I doubt you'd have too much trouble in Dubuque, since it's reasonably close to Iowa City which is a nice crunchy college town with pretty decent midwife access.
sarahn4639's Avatar sarahn4639
05:11 PM Liked: 763
#19 of 23
05-17-2007 | Posts: 2,678
homebirth with a certified nurse midwife is legal in iowa. iowa does not license DEM or CPM though. there are atleast 3 practicing in the des moines area, and several, i believe in the iowa city area. i don't know about dubuque though.
Seeking Refuge's Avatar Seeking Refuge
02:44 AM Liked: 11
#20 of 23
05-18-2007 | Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarahn4639 View Post
homebirth with a certified nurse midwife is legal in iowa. iowa does not license DEM or CPM though. there are atleast 3 practicing in the des moines area, and several, i believe in the iowa city area. i don't know about dubuque though.
There are no certified nurse midwives in Iowa City who will attend homebirths although there is a group of CNM's that practice at the University of Iowa Hospital.

There are several CPM's practicing in the Iowa City area but none of them are legal, two are in facing prosecution at this point.

Actually the only legal CNM that attends homebirths that I am aware of in Iowa is Carey Ann Ryan in Des Moines. She may have others working in her clinic that I am not aware of.
Seeking Refuge's Avatar Seeking Refuge
02:50 AM Liked: 11
#21 of 23
05-18-2007 | Posts: 1,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by acupuncturemommy View Post
I delivered twins here in Austin,TX at home with midwives and would like have a homebirth for our next baby. We are planning on moving to my hometown of Dubuque, IA soon. Since it border WI and IL, we could also move there if the birthing laws are more friendly. Can anyone tell me where to find the laws on homebirths and midwives for these 3 states and let me know if homebirth is possible? We also don't vaccinate so I'm hoping that won't be a problem either. If anyone knows of midwives practicing homebirths in one of these 3 states please let us know! thanks!!!
CPM's are able to license in Wisconsin. You are also able to take a philosophical exemption or a religious exemption in the state of Wisconsin for immunizations. You are not able to take a philosophical exemption in Iowa.
I know of no legal midwives who will attend homebirths in the Dubuque area although there is a CNM who delivers at the local hospitals.

I recommend Wisconsin. I was born there. It is beautiful and there are many great little towns close to Dubuque.
sarahn4639's Avatar sarahn4639
01:14 AM Liked: 763
#22 of 23
05-19-2007 | Posts: 2,678
Quote:
Actually the only legal CNM that attends homebirths that I am aware of in Iowa is Carey Ann Ryan in Des Moines. She may have others working in her clinic that I am not aware of.
I do not believe there are any CNMs working with Carey Ann Ryan. The others are Cosette Boone and Sheryl Puderbaugh. There was another CNM attending homebirths around (I think it was) Milo. I don't remember her name and am not sure what her staus is. There is also a homebirth attending CNM in Council Bluffs.
mamachandi's Avatar mamachandi
11:48 PM Liked: 0
#23 of 23
05-19-2007 | Posts: 1,529
I would reccomend Wi as well (had my third baby there. Born at home with a wonderful midwife! Madison is a wonderful place to live and raise a family. I now l;ive in MI. very similar to WI. dubuque is only an hour from madison btw
Reply Subscribe Homebirth