16yr old homebirth? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 01:01 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am doing a vaginal birth. And I have a midwife and everything.

<33 Italy
#32 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 01:25 PM

Purely from a professional perspective, as in what I've witnessed, teenage moms labor very quickly and birth easily, for the most part.

She needs to get and follow through with good prenatal care, because she is at risk for preterm labor and delivery, but aside from that, I'd think a teenager would be a shoo in for a homebirth.

Biologically we are "supposed" to be birthing in our teens, truth be told.
#33 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 02:22 PM

Amy--she had no interventions like epi, pit, other drugs...but she was at the hospital and it was 1978 so I have no doubt they probably kept her restricted to her bed and whatnot. I reserve judgment since I wasn't there (well, I guess I was ) but of the different "failure to progress" scenarios I've heard about hers sounds the most legit to me.

mama to 3 girls: Abigail 2.12.05, Eliana 8.26.06, Willa 1.9.09
RN-BSN 5/11, CBE, former doula
#34 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 02:44 PM

If her prenatal care goes normally, she has good support, and she is psychologically prepared, there is no reason that she wouldn't be able to have a homebirth. I have found that these births go wonderfully - younger women are usually healthy, in good shape, and don't have the fears surrounding birth that many women have. In many cultures, 16 is considerd prime birthing age.

Carla
#35 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 03:28 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggi315 View Post
Well, my experience as a nurse and now as a midwife does not hold true that teens have more problems. Or that their pelvises are smaller somehow. Where is the actual science/research on that? And who is still measuring pelvises out there?

What I saw is that many teens don't take care of themselves, maybe are abusing drugs/alcohol, eating disorders, etc. Not that adults can't have the same problems. these teens did have more problems, higher complications.

But the teens that took care of themselves can do wonderful. What a great opportunity for them to become a woman, to stand up and take responsibility, to see themselves as capable, confident new mothers. I have seen many teens do just that and I am so proud of them. These teens are starting motherhood off on the right foot.

Encourage her! I would have no problem taking on a teen!
I agree. I think it has to do more with socioeconomic issues than the age.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#36 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 03:46 PM

I attend a lot of teens (hospital births, though) and actually have never had one have CPD or FTP. I've only had two teen moms birth via cesarean, one for breech and one for supposed fetal distress (that one's a long story.) I've attended 2 13 yr olds, 3 14 yr olds (2 of whom had 9 lb babies!) and lots of 15-18 yr olds (probably 40-50, I'd guess)
My favorite part about teen births is that they tend not to be indoctrinated yet into how things are supposed to go in modern, standard obstetrics. It's my teen mamas that first got me out of the bed, and into the mindset of following a mama's lead in birth.
The psychosocial aspects of teen births are often the most complicated, though - but I think in general a midwife would be better and supporting and encouraging a young mama than most docs.
#37 of 40 Old 05-13-2007, 09:03 PM

IMNSHO the belief that teens are high risk is a form of prejudice against teen mothers. Biologically speaking a teenager is perfectly suited to carry and give birth to a healthy baby. Sometimes there is a lack of nutritional education that can contribute to health issues with the mother and fetus but midwives are generally more knowledgeable that most OBs about nutrition and will help teens make the best choices.

I would not hesitate to take on a 16 year old client as long as she fit the general criteria of a homebirth client.

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
#38 of 40 Old 05-15-2007, 10:41 AM

The birth that I had at 16 was my easiest so far. I had my other two at 19 and 21 and even then it wasn't as easy as when I had ds1. By the time I got to the hospital I was 8cm and he was born an hour later. I could have had him at home if it had occured to me that it was an option.

Midwife (CPM, LDM) and homeschooling mama to:
13yo ds   10yo dd  8yo ds and 6yo ds and 1yo ds  
#39 of 40 Old 05-17-2007, 10:57 PM

I was just attended by a midwife who had her own first child at home at the age of 16. What a wonderful young woman your sister must be to be considering this option. I loved both my HBs (my 2nd just one month ago)! PM me if there is any ?'s she has that I can help with.
Lola
Mama to Mya: 7/14/04 and Jolie 03/09/07
#40 of 40 Old 05-19-2007, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheena View Post
IMNSHO the belief that teens are high risk is a form of prejudice against teen mothers.
YES! I was going to post that but now I can just quote you.

I think the safety advantage for teens homebirthing is greater than the safety advantage for older women. The sole reason for my belief is that the moms can avoiding moralistic, judgmental, punitive staffers. I've heard L&D nurses talking speaking disparagingly about teen moms, and seen them treat them coolly and cruelly. I can't stomach the hospital scene anymore... it leaves me torn up for days afterward. Anyway, I like to imagine most unprofessional birth professionals would have a harder time abusing a mom on her turf than they would on their own.

I'm glad your sister has a supportive mother and sister and wish her the best.

Take gentle care,
BV

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page