Resources for homebirth attendant - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-23-2003, 03:54 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi!

I am planning my second homebirth in October, and have asked a friend of mine to come and be with my 4 yr old son. She is excited, but says she wants to be prepped! (She has no children.) Are there any specific resources that address homebirth from the perspective of a birth attendant? I have lots of resources that address the safety of homebirth, etc. but am wondering if any of you can suggest "experiencing homebirth" from a friend's perspective.

Thank you!

BethW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-24-2003, 11:17 AM

Hi, Beth,

What about having her view other homebirths via video tape? That might give her a good idea of what goes on. Hmmm, maybe a good homebirth book as well. She might just want information on homebirth. What were your favorite reads? Pass them on to her. Ina May Gaskin's new book would be good. I wouldn't give her the hard core Spiritual Midwifery right now, but the new one would be good.

I don't really know of resources for birth attendant. Perhaps Doula organization would?

Best wishes!

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 06-24-2003, 01:07 PM

Yeah, I would have her watch some graphic birth videos. Sometimes stuff comes out that people don't expect and body parts can get to looking a little different than we are used to seeing them so it might be good for her to have an idea that it is normal.

There is also a great chapter in Birthing From Within called Laborland Etiquette. I plan to make copies for everyone attending my birth.

Amy

Amy: Certified Professional Midwife and mom to Max (11) and Stella (6).
Old 07-02-2003, 09:46 AM

Well I'm a father and might I suggest having your friend read books that a geared towards fathers. It might offer the perspective you need. Since fathers can never fully understand what it's like to deliver a baby, the material is written with that perspective in mind.
Old 07-02-2003, 09:53 AM

The book, The Birth Partner by Penny Simkin is a good book for whomever will be supporting you, partner, friend or doula.

The Birth Partner

Golden

User Tag List