Anyone have a homebirth in NY state? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 32 Old 03-01-2002, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I would like to have a homebirth, but am worried about legalities. If anyone knows specifically about NY state, please share!
#2 of 32 Old 03-01-2002, 07:17 PM

I don't have any children yet, but I know there are 3 midwives in Ithaca, NY (where I live) that do home births. They are legal. NY does, however, strictly control the licensure of midwives - and almost exclusively allows CNMs.

I have personally spoken to Monica Daniel who runs GentlyBorne Midwifery Service in Ithaca. She is a Certified Nurse midwife and might be able to help you find more information or a practitioner near you.

I also know that Kate Finn is one of the few licensed non-CNMs (she is direct entry, trained in England) in my area. She runs Women's Way Health Care.

If you need contact information for one of these women, please email me personally.
#3 of 32 Old 03-06-2002, 05:43 PM

here's my midwife's page. she's in new mexico now but was practicing in ny before it was legal. she was part of the fight for legalization. maybe she has info.
Hilary
#4 of 32 Old 03-15-2002, 01:48 AM

It is legal AND I just found out HMO's are required to cover it! If you're in the Rochester area I highly recommend my midwife, Pat Diebel. She's a CNM but very hands-off & just wonderful!
#5 of 32 Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 PM

I'm a reporter from The Post-Standard in Syracuse, NY, and I'm writing a story about how tough it is to have a homebirth in the Syracuse area. If you live in that area and would be willing to be interviewed, please e-mail me at gchen@syracuse.com. I'd love to speak with you.
#6 of 32 Old 03-03-2008, 08:03 PM

I am about to have a HB in Allegany NY...as long as you have a CNM who is legally able to attend HB, and has a written practice agreement with an OB then it is 100% legal in NY state. Additionally, my insurance (BCBS) is covering 100% of the costs.

Clearly, if you have a DEM, or CPM, Lay Midwife, or a CNM who does not have a WPA with an OB, then it is considered an "illegal HB" and insurance will not cover it in NY...not to mention the whole "midwife might go to jail" thing.

So, yes, it is legal, but no it is not easy! If you are in WNY area, i'd be happy to recommend my wonderful midwives!

Justine--Wife to Sir Hubby, HBAC Momma to 5 kiddos including Lazlo born 1/6/10 gently at home!
#7 of 32 Old 03-03-2008, 08:15 PM

It's legal here and my midwife says most insurance companies cover it without a fight.

The mamas in the New York tribe can recommend midwives depending on where you live.

''''

#8 of 32 Old 03-03-2008, 08:54 PM

I'm in NYS and I've had two homebirths. It's legal with a CNM and there are also DEMs practicing under the radar. I'm in the Hudson Valley area. If you're nearby feel free to pm me for ideas of midwives and birth resources.
#9 of 32 Old 03-04-2008, 01:12 AM

There are also CPMs in NY that have passed the CNM exam, without becoming nurses. They are called CMs and are also eligible for being licensed and insurance HAS to cover the birth with them.
If you go to www.birthnewyork.org you can find a lot of info. Although finding CPMs and "lay midwifes" still requires a little more under the radar research. Where in NY are you? NYC, Hudson Valley, Ithaca, Rochester I've heard have a lot of options. Where I am in Albany is a lot more limited ...state capital ... go figure.

Mom to DD 7, DS 6, DD 4.5, DD 2.5, DS 1.5 and expecting DD4 anyday now. Planning my second : and ready for fun!
#10 of 32 Old 03-04-2008, 09:28 AM

I'm in Western NY and am having a homebirth with a wonderful midwife team! I can get you in touch with them if you would like!
#11 of 32 Old 03-04-2008, 09:38 AM

I had a wonderful homebirth barely a month ago. My insurance covered almost all of the costs, I had to pay $650.
#12 of 32 Old 04-09-2008, 04:32 PM

While I not quite ready to use those services, I would love the information about the midwifery team near Ripley, NY.
Thanks!
#13 of 32 Old 04-10-2008, 04:34 AM

I had a homebirth w/ a lay midwife, it was fine, we just went and got the birth certificate afterwards, no problems.

Saamy Student mama to  superhero.gifand hearts.gifand babyf.gif

#14 of 32 Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 AM

I had a homebirth is NY with a certified midwife (lay midwife). She was based out of Jersey but the next time I'm going with another lay midwife based in Brooklyn. It's legal in NY. Health insurance companies are supposed to cover homebirths for CNMs. Sometimes they refuse to cover the whole shebang especially if you go with a lay midwife (not a CNM) but you should be able to get them to cover a significant percentage (1/3 to 1/2).

http://www.ins.state.ny.us/ogco2005/rg050409.htm

Stay-at-home mom to 2 beautiful.busy.boisterous boys b. 08.17.05 & 12.29.08
Nirvana is . . . the living happiness of a soul which is conscious of itself and conscious of having found its own abode in the heart of the Eternal. --Gandhi
#15 of 32 Old 04-10-2008, 10:14 AM

Hi

I live in upstate NY & I'm pregnant planning a home birth. They are perfectly legal as long as your midwife has the right qualifications (I think they have to be CNM... you would have to look it up)

The other GREAT thing that we are lucky for in NYS is that there is a law that your insurance company MUST cover the cost of a home birth. I actually have the URL to the publication from the governer if you need it let me know.

If your in the greater rochester area (specifically south, southwest, or southeast of rochester) I have a wonderful midwife who I would highly reccomend this far.

Best Wishes, let me know if you would like any more info.
#16 of 32 Old 04-10-2008, 07:59 PM

I also had a very good hb midwife in Brooklyn and my insurance had to cover it. We have the right in NY to choose our birthing provider and location so insurance is required to cover it. Of course, my very annoying and useless insurance wanted me to select one of two midwives in all of NYC on their provider list. It turns out that because of the right to choose they had to cover the midwife I chose provided I could demonstrate that the midwives on the provider list were unavailable. One of them actually was, and the other was very busy and more than happy to tell the insurance company that her practice was too full to take me on. (She knew my midwife personally was very supportive of my choice.)

I did have to do a huge run around having my midwife pre-approved with special forms to ensure payment (this included having my "diagnoses" reconfirmed after 6 months ) but they ended up paying the majority of the costs.

NY is actually a pretty good place to birth at home. If you plan to birth in NYC I'd be more than happy to refer you to my midwife, just let me know. Good luck to you.

Miss Chris and the guy in the city that never sleeps.
Making a home for our big girl 3/06 and our new boy 2/10
#17 of 32 Old 04-21-2008, 12:37 AM

i'm in syracuse NY and i didn't have a homebirth but i know several people who have recently had a homebirth or are pregnant and have an upcomming homebirth! PM me and i can put you in contact with some local home birthing moms!
#18 of 32 Old 06-11-2008, 10:41 PM

Seems tough to find a midwife for a home birth in the capital region - can anyone give me somewhere to start?
#19 of 32 Old 06-12-2008, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma's_Mommy View Post
i'm in syracuse NY and i didn't have a homebirth but i know several people who have recently had a homebirth or are pregnant and have an upcomming homebirth! PM me and i can put you in contact with some local home birthing moms!
Hi! I'm also in Syracuse. I think most of the moms here use the 3 midwives in Ithaca, who are willing to drive to Syracuse for births. I've heard a lot of good things about Kate Finn.

Are you part of the Syracuse Birth Circle group?

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

I'll be 42 when the newest little one is born! Yowza!

#20 of 32 Old 06-12-2008, 11:10 AM

It's cool to see what the situation is now in NY. My husband and SIL were very illegal homebirths out in the boonies surrounding Ithaca, back in the day!
#21 of 32 Old 08-09-2008, 02:11 AM

Hi! I know this is an old topic.... but I was wondering where your friends found a midwife in Syracuse? I can't seem to find any information ANYWHERE. If you could help I would SO appreciate it! Thanks!!!
#22 of 32 Old 08-09-2008, 02:57 AM

I have a FABULOUS Midwife in Ithaca . . . IDK about any HB midwives in Syracuse, but Monica Daniel in Ithaca is worth traveling for. She might even travel, but IDK about as far as Syracuse . . .
#23 of 32 Old 08-09-2008, 08:01 AM

The only midwives in Syracuse are illegal and under the radar. I am only aware of one, and it took months to get her info by getting involved in local birth circles, etc.

Most women in Syr just use the 3 legal ones in Ithaca b/c they will drive out here.

dizzy.gif DS1: 10/89 - DD1: 06/94 - DD2: 02/97 - DS2: 12/05 - DS3: 12/08 - DC6: ETA 04/26/12

#24 of 32 Old 08-09-2008, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnassistedMomma View Post
The only midwives in Syracuse are illegal and under the radar. I am only aware of one, and it took months to get her info by getting involved in local birth circles, etc.

Most women in Syr just use the 3 legal ones in Ithaca b/c they will drive out here.
That stinks that is really far. Does anyone know of any birthing centers that are in or close to syracuse?
#25 of 32 Old 08-10-2008, 08:32 AM

I want to say that St. Joe's used to have one.... I'm thinking that they don't anymore though. At any rate, the only ones I've heard of in the area are attached to the hospitals. (In Syracuse proper anyway - not sure about the nearby areas)

#26 of 32 Old 08-10-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnassistedMomma View Post
I want to say that St. Joe's used to have one.... I'm thinking that they don't anymore though. At any rate, the only ones I've heard of in the area are attached to the hospitals. (In Syracuse proper anyway - not sure about the nearby areas)
Wow...I'm kinda wow'ed over St. Joe's not having their BC anymore. Huh, wonder why. But yeah, any of the BC's I knew about in the area are in or attached to the major hospitals.
#27 of 32 Old 08-10-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesseMomme View Post
Wow...I'm kinda wow'ed over St. Joe's not having their BC anymore. Huh, wonder why. But yeah, any of the BC's I knew about in the area are in or attached to the major hospitals.
Thanks! I'll look into it
#28 of 32 Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM

It appears that there are many practicing midwives in Syracuse; however, due to rising insurance premiums, many CNMs have unfortunately decided to no longer perform deliveries.

Here's an example of what I mean:
http://unitedformedicalaccess.org/media-coverage1.htm
A friend of mine absolutely adores Vanna Reisman as a midwife, but it looks like she may not be an option for me because she no longer performs deliveries (if the information in the article is still current).

Many hospitals in and around Syracuse employ midwives; they can only perform certain duties and must work under an obstetrician. I have yet to find a midwife in Syracuse who does home birth deliveries. (This is excepting the Ithaca group, of course.)

Here are a few:
Community General Hospital's Family Birth Center
http://cgh.org/body.cfm?id=61

Associate's for Women's Medicine
http://www.afwomensmed.com/practices/afwh.htm

St. Joseph's Birth Place
http://www.sjhsyr.org/sjhhc/stj_patient_ob.asp?id=452

Here is a link to the Ithaca gals:
http://www.ithacabirthgroup.org/resources.php

This is all I have time for now, but I hope to receive more info on this topic so that I am well informed when I start my family in the next couple of years.
-Amber
#29 of 32 Old 08-28-2008, 03:07 PM

When I was looking for HB midwives (I live outside of Rochester) it seemed like all I could find was Syracuse midwives!! If you didn't have any luck with the above posts PM me, I have the names & phone numbers of at least 2 midwives (legal CNM's) one in Rochester & one out of Ithaca who might be able to put you in touch with someone who covers your area for home births.
#30 of 32 Old 05-11-2014, 10:12 AM

I'd like to bump this thread to see if there is any new information on Home Birth in the Oneonta/Delhi/Cooperstown areas, specifically, and in the Binghamton or Albany areas in general. Looking for resources and mid-wives for a possible HB in 2015. Thank you!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page