Great reaction from a stranger !!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-10-2007, 03:31 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I was at the zoo with my ds now 13 months with my new double stroller. Baby number 2 isn't here yet, but I wanted to get the double now and get used to it. (Plus i use it for my shopping bags ) So anyway, a woman was asking me about my stroller and I was telling her all about it, saying how I researched for many months blah blah blah. Then she asked if I was Swedish Birther... A very popular hospital in my city. I told her no .. I am a HOMEBIRTHER. She was so amazed. She asked if first baby's birth was uncomplicated. I told her yes there were complications ( born by cesarean after all sorts of interventions- didn't tell her that part), but that I was safer at home. Proceeded to tell her that my aunt passed away almost a year ago because of all the interventions she received at a hospital. I then said all hospitals have stories like this....She said well I can tell just by talking to you that you have educated yourself, and that I defintely am a researcher. She also asked if I plan on homeschooling. Hahahaha. Not ready for that yet, I'll tackle that obstacle when the time comes. I just wanted to share. Here's to planning a hbac. Yipppeee. I just wish everyone reacted this way. I can't believe it came so easy to me. I am a homebirther. Say it enough and it will come true.

Andraea
#2 of 6 Old 08-10-2007, 09:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That would have made my day too. Congrats on baby #2 and good luck with your VBAC.
#3 of 6 Old 08-10-2007, 11:02 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
That is so great! I love hearing stories like that. I’m also sorry to hear about your aunt.

I had a similar experience a few weeks ago. I went to a Harry Potter’s Birthday party and met another woman there. We started talking and she has a 4 year old. She asked the dreaded question “so where are you having the baby?” I told her at home and she told me she had her son at home and went on and on about how great it was and how perfect my birth would be. I felt so luck to meet someone who knew that birthing could be a beautiful experience and not judge me for my choices.
#4 of 6 Old 08-11-2007, 02:18 AM

I just love your attitude...you *are* a homebirther! You go mama I hope to read a wonderful birth story soon!

Midwife and mama in the Valley of the Sun
#5 of 6 Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 AM

Glad to hear you got a good reaction. For the most part, all of the reactions (from strangers and otherwise) has been positive for me. I've had a few "why risk your baby's life like that?" questions but most people say "good for you". Maybe it's the area I live in, we can be pretty crunchy out here.

Anyways, congratulations and good luck on your HBAC!

knit.gifWife to Ageek.gif since 7-7-2006, Mother to Mnocirc.gif since 11-23-2007ribboncesarean.gif, and N slinggirl.gifborn on 4-9-2010vbac.gif
#6 of 6 Old 08-11-2007, 05:37 PM

pretty the same thing here. Most people I talk to say, 'well, you've definitely done your research' and even if they aren't on board, they keep it to themselves. I think most people just want to give friendly advise, but if you show you don't need it, then they keep their mouth shut. Or maybe I just scare most people off because I am so passionate about my decision. Glad to hear you have a good response. The confidence it gives is contagious.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page