Has anybody actually used a Birth Pool in a Box? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-20-2007, 04:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I am very near ordering one but really, REALLY want to hear from other mamas who've used it! I know we've had lots of reviews of the La Bassine. But what about the BPIAB? It started shipping in May or June, so surely we have some mamas who have tried it out - right?

Please post if you've used it! Positives? Negatives? Did you love it / hate it /didn't care? Were the handles good or obtrusive or irrelevant? What about the seat? Who used it, or was it used at all? How was the stability, set-up, etc?

Thanks!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2007, 02:50 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Wait a few weeks and I can tell you! I'm actually inflating mine today. I'm at 37 weeks.

Wife to Doug, mom to Hank and Logan !!!
Old 08-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Ohh, I want to know about this. I was thinking of ordering one. I wanted something affordable, but bigger/deeper than la bassine and with more support in the sides.

Hoping for some reviews! :
Old 08-20-2007, 03:29 PM

My preceptor bought one for her clients to use. We used it for the first time Saturday morning.

It seemed to work great for the Mama!! She is about 5'9" and her belly was covered great! She had plenty of room to move around. She pushed mostly up on her knees but did use the outside handles through a couple pushes.

She didn't have anyone in the water with her to use the little seat. I think she sat up on it once but being up there doesn't cover the belly.

It was very stable (just like the fishy pool). I wasn't there when the mw set it up and took it down. I'll have to ask her how that all went.
Old 08-20-2007, 03:52 PM

This is the one that my mw gave us to use. Dh pumped it up the other day and it looks very spacious (its actually the smaller one with no built in seat). I think the handles on the side seem sturdy and like they could be helpful.

I keep telling this baby to come on Sunday, but I don't think (s)he plans to be cooperative. I'll let you know how it goes if (s)he does cooperate.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:07 PM

a tip....use a shop vac to inflate the sides! The seat and floor need an inflator like is used with other pools.

Old 08-20-2007, 04:45 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancie View Post
Wait a few weeks and I can tell you! I'm actually inflating mine today. I'm at 37 weeks.
Think your LO will come early? I'm just shy of 34 weeks myself so getting anxious about waiting TOO long! How long did it take for you to get it after you ordered it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachinmaof3 View Post
My preceptor bought one for her clients to use. We used it for the first time Saturday morning.

It seemed to work great for the Mama!! She is about 5'9" and her belly was covered great! She had plenty of room to move around. She pushed mostly up on her knees but did use the outside handles through a couple pushes.

She didn't have anyone in the water with her to use the little seat. I think she sat up on it once but being up there doesn't cover the belly.

It was very stable (just like the fishy pool). I wasn't there when the mw set it up and took it down. I'll have to ask her how that all went.
Great! Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabo View Post
This is the one that my mw gave us to use. Dh pumped it up the other day and it looks very spacious (its actually the smaller one with no built in seat). I think the handles on the side seem sturdy and like they could be helpful.

I keep telling this baby to come on Sunday, but I don't think (s)he plans to be cooperative. I'll let you know how it goes if (s)he does cooperate.
I hope baby cooperates! Can't wait to hear about your birth - with the added bonus of the BPIAB review, too! I still can't believe it could be TIME already, though!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-20-2007, 08:21 PM

It took about a week to get the pool, came via fedex

I've inflated mine and sat in it (sans water) and it is very roomy and seems deep. I did order the bigger one so my DH can get in with me without any trouble. The handles seem like a great perk. The A/C was out in our house today and I mulled filling it with cold water and just floating in it all day. But alas...chores to do. Oh well.

I will re-iterate that a shop-vac was THE way to inflate the walls. It took like 2-3 minutes. The floor and seat have valves like on a beach ball and need a different tool to inflate.

Old 08-20-2007, 10:56 PM

I rent the Birth Pool in a Box Hospital grade out to mamas and I just had a client use it for a homebirth. So far, the dad reported they were very happy with it. I have not heard from the mama yet. When I set it up to clean/disinfect it I have to say it is MUCH easier than dealing with a hard sided pool like the Aquadoula. I think it is the way to go, seems much easier to assemble and I did get in it to see what it felt like. It does seem very comfortable.

So, I don't know that this review helps, but just thought I would share what I know. Glad to see so many people using this wonderful tub!

Micky
Old 08-20-2007, 11:03 PM

Did your cats leave it alone?

We have badly-behaved male cats with claws...

I'd love to get a soft-sided tub, but I'm worried about them destroying it.
Old 08-21-2007, 06:23 AM

There's some good recommendations for it on the homebirthUK mailing list. I haven't used one myself, but I've heard a lot of good things about them.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-21-2007, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabo View Post

Don't forget to turn up your water heater and do a test-run WITH WATER before your birth! All the mamas I know of who didn't do a test-run usually live to regret it.

Yes, I second the rec to use an electric air pump to inflate - you get much better sturdiness.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:25 AM - Thread Starter

Just a bump to see if anyone has more info or has gotten to use it yet!

Old 08-29-2007, 09:46 PM

I'm now 38 and a half weeks....no labor yet! But my midwife saw the pool and liked it a lot.

Old 08-30-2007, 08:02 PM

Maybe I'm being dense, but I don't get how you'd use the shop vac to inflate the tub.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:22 PM

A shop vac has a sucking end and a blowing end...the valves on the walls of the BPIAB are large and we did not have a fitting for them. The inflator that would normally be used is sold with the pools in Britain but not here (unless I am mistaken)

You just attach the shop-vac hose to the blow connector of the shop-vac and stick the hose the valve and it inflates each level in under a minute. And the valve is one way, so the air doesn't come right back out.

Old 08-31-2007, 02:19 AM

my birth pool came in a box- it was an inflatable fishy pool with an inflatable bottom ! i loved it and was very comfortable, although i chose to birth on my MW's birthing stool once i hit transition. i just wanted to be upright. but it was only $25 and i can use it for dd to swim in next summer!
Old 08-31-2007, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancie View Post
A shop vac has a sucking end and a blowing end...the valves on the walls of the BPIAB are large and we did not have a fitting for them. The inflator that would normally be used is sold with the pools in Britain but not here (unless I am mistaken)

You just attach the shop-vac hose to the blow connector of the shop-vac and stick the hose the valve and it inflates each level in under a minute. And the valve is one way, so the air doesn't come right back out.
Thanks for the tutorial! I can't wait to order mine. I'm only 30 weeks now, so I should probably order at about 33-34 wks... I am getting so excited!
Old 09-04-2007, 07:54 PM

Ooh me! Me! I just gave birth to my daughter in one two months ago. I loved it - the sides are nice and high (so the water level is deep enough to give you a lot of "lift") and rigid enough to support someone sitting on the side. I found it super comfy to lean on during labour. I was on all fours and was sort of draped over the side. It was strong, but the lovely rounded sides made it very comfortable to hold on to. I even managed to nod off for a few seconds in between contractions as I was pushing Mia out. LOL

Yes, I agree -do a test run first so you can see how much hot water you'll need (and if your tank can fill it) and to get water levels, etc.

BTW, I had the "mini" version. I'm 5'4" and it was great for me.

I definitely recommend it!
Old 09-05-2007, 02:53 PM

i am over here trying to research the exact same thing!

originally i thought we were going to rent the aquadoula but after reading a bunch of threads on here, i'm really leaning toward an inflatable tub. the BPIAB is really expensive (on the other hand this is our first child and i'm sure we will use it again) but there are a lot of things about it that appeal to me.

my main concern with the inflatable tubs is whether my husband will be able to get into the tub with me. he is TALL and i can't figure out if he could fit in all of them, or just this one. i assume he could fit into the hexagonal fishy tub, but i don't know if i really want to fill up 190gal tub, either...we have tenants! what to do, what to do.

robina. unschooling mama and midwifery student.  building my nest with my husband, our daughter (born at home 11/07), our son (home waterbirth 5/10), and our newest little girl (born at home 4/13)!

Old 09-15-2007, 08:22 PM

I did labor in the Birth Pool in a Box. It was very nice and comfy, a very good depth. I did not birth in the pool, but that's another story entirely.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Yay, Sabo! So glad it was helpful in labor and that she's here!! Now off to look for more details, if you've gotten to it yet. (She's beautiful!!)

User Tag List