WHERE to put birth tub? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I have several different options on where I can put my birth tub.
1. My bedroom
Pros: Cement floor, near sink, can be made very dark, am comfortable there.
Cons: Will "disrupt" our room environment (must move bed & dressers around but not out,) will be more cumbersome to empty and pack away pool as we will be babymooning in that room after the birth, dh really doesn't want it here.

2. Baby's bedroom (Across hall from my room)
Pro's: Will not disrupt any personal space, close enough to sink but farther than my bedroom.
Con's: Small room - will be difficult to fit attendants/dh in there, carpeted floor, will need to move out a dresser at least to fit anyone else in there.

3. Kitchen
Pro's: Plenty of room, close to sink, tiled floor.
Con's: Very open space, cannot be made dark if it's daytime, impossible to close out other people if I want. It's in the "heart of the house" and very exposed.

I am very late in deciding this btw. I am "overdue" now. I told dh that on labor day I would probably just point to a certain room, but I should probably pin it down beforehand. I think in asking this question, I have pretty much answered it. Funny how effective pro/con lists can be.

But, I'd love to hear opinions from those of you who have waterbirthed. My dd was a scheduled c/s so I have no reference point for my preferences while in labor.
TIA!

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 AM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
What floor are these rooms on?

Given these choices, I would choose the bedroom. For my waterbirth, we had it in the dd's bedroom, but that's only because that's where it would fit. I think that privacy, lighting, and a non-carpeted floor are important (to me). I mean, you could protect a carpeted floor, but just in case.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:26 AM

I would be most comfortable in the bedroom. The ability to have the area dark and private (without sacrificing space) was pretty paramount to me. Everybody's different though.
Old 08-30-2007, 03:39 AM

Can you try to visualize your labor and focus on being in the tub and dealing with contractions, then "look around" and see where you are??

Lori, mom to Elise 6/06, Ivy 4/08 and pos.gif 12/11
Old 08-30-2007, 05:20 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I would go with bedroom. One of my reasons is wanting to be in that quiet, controlled room (that is, can be darkened, etc), that is PRIVATE. Also, I would then be near the bed where I want to snuggle up with my baby, besides having the option of getting out and getting on the bed during labor if I want to. I don't remember the breakdown of our pool being too disruptive last time (though I didn't birth in it and therefore had no immediate need to empty it).

Hope you have a wonderful birth!!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:45 PM

I did mine in the kitchen/dining room, as it's the heart of the house. Had plenty of room, never felt exposed. But it was private - only my dh and mw and her asst. Also, it gave me a different place to go to afterward with the baby, i.e. the bedroom.
Old 08-30-2007, 04:27 PM

Another vote for the bedroom- that was where I felt most comfortable and honestly it didn't take much time for DH to drain/deflate/remove the pool. If you'd be as comfortable in the baby's room that might be a good solution so you wouldn't have to move furniture etc. to start the babymoon. Good luck on your birth- I hope you have a wonderful experience!
Old 08-30-2007, 05:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you all for the good birth vibes. I finally started losing my plug today, so my fingers are :

The one thing my dh did bring up is that while the cement floor is good for cleanup it may be too uncomfortable for mw to kneel on. Also, even though the tub has an inflatable bottom it may be too uncomfotable without any padding underneath. I guess I could move a rug under it, then tarp over that.

I think the bedroom too. I just don't visualize myself in the baby's room.
Thanks for the advice. I know dh will go along with wherever I feel most comfortable.

Dear hubby surf.gif, dd1 (8) dust.gif ds1 (5)hbac.gif and dd2 (NB) hbac.gif waterbirth.jpg

Old 08-30-2007, 08:23 PM

Why...in the dining room, of course!!!

That's where we put ours last time and probably will this time, as well. It's open to a couple of rooms, but we had planned to put up blankets with curtain rods in the entry ways. Birth came earlier and happened faster than I expected, though. So, we didn't have time for that and I ended up not caring.

We just pushed our dining room table over to the side and put our birth supplies on it. I still giggle sometimes when someone is sitting (at the table) over the exact spot where I gave birth to my dd2.

I appreciated having a new, quiet place (our bedroom) to retreat to after the birth...away from the clean-up, etc.
Old 08-31-2007, 10:24 AM

I would go with whatever room you are visualizing.

My entire pregnancy I visualized birthing in our second bedroom (our older son's room) and with a little moving of furniture, it worked out great. I loved that I went into my bed after the birth and everyone was in another room cleaning things up without me even paying attention.

I knew I didn't want it in the living room... I felt the need to have things be a little more "tucked away" and wanted to be able to center myself without distraction and things going on around me.

FWIW I got out of the tub as I was pushing. I ended up squatting "on land". The best advice I could give is to not be too set on water birthing. You might decide you want to birth another way or in another place. Plenty of babies are born on the toliet.
Old 09-01-2007, 11:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shell_Ell View Post
Plenty of babies are born on the toliet.
And that's why my toilet is actually clean enough for the cat to drink out of like she likes. I'm actually envisioning getting out of the tub for the pushing stage, although the jaws of life won't pry me out if I want to push in there.

Old 09-03-2007, 10:46 AM

we are doing ours in the kitchen, even though it has lots of windows and doorways, BUT...its out of the main *common areas* for the other kids to hang out in, it isn't in the bedroom so we can baby moon in there without fussing or dealing with clean up (we rearranged our room anyway, BUT our BR is TINY...it would have taken up the rest of the room that even IS in there! )

The kitchen just seems to...fit

I have been collecting sheets to hang in all the windows, doorways etc so we can block out light and anyone else ( there is a biker dude who lives next door *rofl* that I reeealy dont' want seeing me kwim?)
Also, the bathroom is right off our kitchen, so that was the best choice for us

GL on finding a spot AND on birth!!
Old 09-03-2007, 11:46 AM

I'd go with where ever you feel the most relaxed/happy/at home.

As far as padding the floor...we used an old sleeping bag (maybe 2) then a tarp layer under the pool to cushion the floor (it was also cement..well cement with a layer of linoleum). It made a huge difference! I would think any old comforter or a few blankets could do the same job.

I just did a trial run with my pool last night. We have a la bassine with the inflatable floor. The floor felt more padded after the water was in. Maybe because the weight of the water kept the air in place or I was floating so lighter or some combo. But it was all good on a hard wood floor with no padding.

One happy momma joy.gif to a very spirited little girl dust.gif, her tough little brother superhero.gif, and a happy little suprise late April 2012 stork-suprise.gif. Wife to an overworked and under paid husband geek.gif.

User Tag List