HELP! ~ Any recommendations on birth pools? La Bassine vs. Birth Pool in a Box? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-11-2007, 02:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I am due in Jan. and I am so confused on which tub to buy. I'm thinking I'll want a cushy one (not the Aqua Doula rigid sides), but do I still need a heater?

Also, don't really want a fishy pool... the nice newer pools like La Bassine or Birth Pool in a Box look really comfy. But, again, I have questions about keeping the water temp warm enough...

Any advice on birth pools & tips on which to buy would be greatly appreciated!!!!

thanks-
sarah
#2 of 11 Old 10-12-2007, 05:32 PM

Sorry I don't have any experience to share but thought I'd post to bump it up and get more visitors. I have the same question. I'm due in Nov and getting ready to order my tub but still don't know. Most moms I've talked to have used one of the fishy pools and have no complaints, but I'm worried that they won't be deep enough to really be comfortable and to allow me options for positions while pushing. The Birth Pool in a Box looks good but expensive, and the sticky thread on birthing tubs cautioned against using bigger pools for the heat retention issue. Right now they don't have the "mini" in stock and the regular is pretty large. So, I'm leaning toward the La Bassine. Somewhere I read that one retains heat pretty well. I'm expecting to have to add hot water occassionally b/c I don't want to pay for one of the heated ones.

Good luck!

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#3 of 11 Old 10-12-2007, 06:44 PM

Hi,

I just gave birth to our beautiful little boy in the La Bassine pool.

Like you I was not able to choose between the La Bassine and the Pool in the Box and then I thought they are not sooo different, so the price made it. I bought the La Bassine and at the 21st this month our son was born in it. And it was great! It was a wonderful experience. I have just uploaded the birth story of Morvryn to the birthstories here.

I can only recommend the La Bassine pool. Really. It was comfortable, easy to fill, pretty fast to fill and it stayed warm for long. I loved it!

Good luck!
#4 of 11 Old 10-13-2007, 06:05 PM

I'm a midwife and own both of those pools to lend them out for home birth, plus I have a spa-n-a-box as our tub at the birth center.

The BPIB is deeper and larger than the LB.
The handles on the BPIB make it a bit easier to haul to the shower or outside for cleaning. Haven't seen the moms use the handles much during labor, but most of them appreciated having them available.
If you are on the shorter side or have short legs, getting out of the BPIB is easier because you can let the air out of the middle ring and it will deflate about 6 inches in about 60 sec.
The inflatable seat is nice for your DP, they can sit on it and then you can lean on them so you are up a bit higher. This prevents the feeling/ fear of slipping under the water during ctxs. when you get the water good and deep.

If any of these things have been concerns for you then the extra expense of the BPIB may be worth it.

I like the LB for smaller homes or spaces, but if the BPIB had been available when I bought the LB, I probably would have bought the BPIB instead.

Have you thought of renting it out to other HB moms after you have this baby? Even $50/rental would easily pay for the difference. You can buy liners that have reinforced slits for the handles, so cleanup and sanitation should be pretty easy. At $50/ rental it will still be much cheaper than renting an aquadoula.

Wife, mother, midwife, triathlete
#5 of 11 Old 10-13-2007, 06:49 PM

Haven't labored in it yet, but we bought the mini BPIAB for our upcoming homebirth, and it looks nice. I'm not very tall, and I thought it might be more comforting to labor in a smaller diameter pool (when I used an Aqua Doula last time, I felt sort of lost floating around in it), but I like the idea of the extra depth compared to the La Bassine.

Also, the Waterbirth International web site said they didn't have the mini in stock, but I called them and they did still have a few. So if you really want the mini, try calling them to ask.
#6 of 11 Old 10-13-2007, 07:01 PM

I just bought a BPIAB for my practice and did a birth with a La Bassine in September. I think I like the BPIAB better -- a little bit bigger, I like the seat, I like the liner it comes with (though they are really expensive).

Mothercat -- two questions -- as I remember it, the baffles on the La Bassine go vertical and the BPIAB has horizontal rings. Have you found one stronger than the other when being leaned on? I was impressed with how firm the La Bassine was when I saw it compared to the fishy pools that we have used recently (though my new favorite "fishy pool" is the star-shaped pool at target). I hope that the BPIAB is as sturdy.

Also, I plan to get one more of these eventually, but I anticipate that I might not have enough to offer my clients in busy months. Would you be willing to rent out your pools to people from other practices? I will refer people to you if that is the case.

I am doing more and more waterbirths these days, probably 70-80% of the time. I am jealous of your spa in a box!

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#7 of 11 Old 10-13-2007, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaurieG View Post
Most moms I've talked to have used one of the fishy pools and have no complaints, but I'm worried that they won't be deep enough to really be comfortable and to allow me options for positions while pushing.
All inflatable pools retain heat the same way, as they are made out of the same materials. It helps if you keep them covered when you are not in them if you have a long labor.

The difference in depth between all the different types of pools is about 2-3 inches; not enough to make a difference in function. They all allow you to labor in a multitude of positions. They are also all roughly the same diameter.
#8 of 11 Old 10-13-2007, 11:48 PM

We used La Bassine, and it was great.

Very sturdy, it also holds the heat of the water in very well.

I don't have any experience w/ BPiaB, I just wanted to add my voice to the LB choir.
#9 of 11 Old 10-14-2007, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
We used La Bassine, and it was great.

Very sturdy, it also holds the heat of the water in very well.

I don't have any experience w/ BPiaB, I just wanted to add my voice to the LB choir.
I bought the hexagon fishy pool and the la bassine. I opted to use the la bassine because of the handles.....and boy, did I use those handles!!!
#10 of 11 Old 10-14-2007, 12:03 AM

I was going to add something about the handles, but honestly, I can't remember if I used them or not! I think I did though, I think, like you, I really used 'em!
#11 of 11 Old 10-14-2007, 03:35 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I just bought the BPIAB and I'm pretty excited about it.

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page