What to know about:HB in IL & midwives (?) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 10-18-2007, 03:33 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello,
I just decided I want to have a HB. I know there are midwives in IL that do that, but I don't want to step on any toes reaching out to them. I know in IL there are lots of "rules", although I do not know what they are. I was wondering, what are some other things I should know about having a HB in Illinois. Anyone have advice? My time is limited, I'm already in the 3rd trimester. Thanks!!!!

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#2 of 10 Old 10-18-2007, 08:32 PM

Kristin -
I don't know that I really know the rules myself, but wanted to say I also was recently in the position of starting to plan a HB in my 3rd trimester so I feel for you. As I understand it, your options depend upon where in the state you live. Although, I understand even in the Chicago area where MW's are most plentiful it is still difficult to find someone. I'm in the St. Louis area and so I got hooked up with other families who could talk me through questions and pass my name along to MW's through the Friends of MO Midwives group. Apparently the MW's in this area work in a somewhat wide geographical region. I've been playing with the idea of trying to form a similar network for the SW Illinois region. If you are near Chicago I would recommend calling the Il Families for Midwifery group and they could probably pass your name along to help you find a MW. Do you mind saying what part of the state you are in? You might find a network to help you here by throwing that out.

Good luck -
Laurie

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#3 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 09:47 AM

I lived in IL for two years. If you're near Chicago look up Dr. Mayer Eisenstein and Dr. George Elvove - they do HB's.

Eisenstein's website:
www.homefirst.com

Elvove's website:
Dr. Elvove

Dr. Eisenstein is great! Thirty years of HB's, written some great books, and doesn't vax, either.

Also, I know of Bernice Kreutzer, CNM (815) 894-2507.

P.S. And yes, HB is perfectly legal in IL with a CNM or a doc.
#4 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 10:28 AM

The only IL midwifes that can legally attend births are CNMs. Take a look at http://birthlink.com.
#5 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 11:41 AM

http://awomansplacechicago.com/

Chicago midwives. There is also a CNM in training (almost done) in the northern suburbs who will be doing homebirths but can't do them legally yet. She is a doula also and her website is:

http://www.yourbirth.com/

There are also lay midwives practicing illegally. They have a yahoo group or something like that but you can't post to it directly (they are protecting themselves from prosecution). Hopefully someone in IL with access to the group will see your post and PM you. Good luck! It can be difficult in IL to have a homebirth since there are so few providers.
#6 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Good suggestions. If you are still interested in a CPM, ask around in your area for recommendations. Are you near Chicago, in No IL, So IL, or Central IL?

I would suggest the tribal areas to hear from others.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#7 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romana9+2 View Post
http://awomansplacechicago.com/

Chicago midwives. There is also a CNM in training (almost done) in the northern suburbs who will be doing homebirths but can't do them legally yet. She is a doula also and her website is:

http://www.yourbirth.com/

There are also lay midwives practicing illegally. They have a yahoo group or something like that but you can't post to it directly (they are protecting themselves from prosecution). Hopefully someone in IL with access to the group will see your post and PM you. Good luck! It can be difficult in IL to have a homebirth since there are so few providers.
I can forward your information on to a yahoogroup or two if you want to email me privately.

Valerie
Illinois
#8 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

We are in Princeton, IL. Which is a rural town in north central IL.

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#9 of 10 Old 10-19-2007, 04:30 PM
rad

Dr Elvove is no longer doing homebirths. So it's only Homefirst now as far as doctors who attends HB.

I'd ask around about midwives in the Peoria area. Unless there's another Princeton, IL. Good luck. Hopefully you can find someone close by.

Rachel , wifey to best friend Karl ,
SAHM to Kaelan (11) Chandra (9) Liam (7) Lachlan (5) Killian (4),Riordan (1), Baby Boy EDD 11/14. All born at home!

#10 of 10 Old 10-20-2007, 12:48 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
Also, I know of Bernice Kreutzer, CNM (815) 894-2507.

P.S. And yes, HB is perfectly legal in IL with a CNM or a doc.
I second her. She is awesome and super sweet!

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page