labor and delivery herbs/tinctures - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 10-23-2007, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! I'm wondering what herbs and tinctures should I stock up on for the labor and delivery. I am in the last trimester and would like to be prepared as much as possible. Thanks!

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#2 of 6 Old 10-30-2007, 06:54 PM - Thread Starter

Anyone know????

Kristen, married to Dh since 1995, Mom of 4 hatchlings chicken3.gif
Doula baby.gif

#3 of 6 Old 10-30-2007, 08:16 PM

I like to have skullcap to rest/ relax mama if needed, B&B labor tincture if labor stalls and we need to restart because mama is really getting over tired (I rarely use this as usually we just let her take a nap unless its been days), angelica for bleeding before placenta arrives (hemmorhage levels of blood) and shepherd purse for bleeding after the birth. I also like Contract Ease for afterpains, though lately a Chinese prep of Motherwort seems to actually work better for the afterpains. I love the homeopathic birthkit with about 15 good remedies that Washington Homeopathics carries and there is a good book called Homeopathics for the Birth Bag that helps me use it well. You can google the last two and find them.
#4 of 6 Old 10-31-2007, 11:52 AM

I would recommend Alfalfa,Nettles, and Red Raspberry leaf tea. All of these herbs are great for the blood and the uterus. I routinely give Motherwort tincture before the placenta to prevent a hem. Angelica if the placenta seems to be taking a very long time, and shepards purse for hem. I would assume that your midwife carries many of the herbs that you need with the exception of the tea.
#5 of 6 Old 10-31-2007, 02:39 PM

My midwife recommended that I take alfalfa for the last few weeks to prevent excessive bleeding. RRL tea, of course! Arnica and rescue remedy for after the delivery. I would absolutely have herbs ready for an herb bath after the delivery - I LOVED my herb bath. I bought the herbs already prepared, so I can't tell you what was in it - sorry. You can buy an afterbirth herb bath concoction online though.
#6 of 6 Old 11-01-2007, 01:39 PM

Location: out in the country-somewhere in Indiana and Michigan!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmidwife View Post
I would recommend Alfalfa,Nettles, and Red Raspberry leaf tea. All of these herbs are great for the blood and the uterus. I routinely give Motherwort tincture before the placenta to prevent a hem. Angelica if the placenta seems to be taking a very long time, and shepards purse for hem. I would assume that your midwife carries many of the herbs that you need with the exception of the tea.
I agree with the above.

For the herbal bath I use the following:
Cinnamon chips-Cinnamon antioxidants may also fight bacterial, fungal, and parasitic infections, especially yeast infections of the mouth (oral candidiasis) in people with compromised immune systems. ( In college during Micro- this herb out did the meds the Dr.s prescribe for gram neg and pos bacteria---in my 'little test' any way!)
Myrrh --used a topical antiseptic for cuts, scrapes, scratches, and abrasions
Frankincense--For wounds, scars, and For hemorrhoids
Uva Ursi--does not kill the bacteria that cause urinary tract infection. Instead, it releases complex polysaccharides that keep the bacteria "rooting" in the lining of the bladder and urethra, allowing the infectious microorganisms to be flushed away with the flow of urine.
Comfrey root- ACTION: It is a cell prollferator, astrringent, demulcent, heals wounds,
Lavender flowers--for pain and burn relief.
You can add other things too...and what I have listed is not the only thing each herb does, but just some. They are the ones that I use.

Midwife, Wife, Mother of 5 (6) and "Ga-Ma" to 5 adorable grand children...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page