Anyone get United Healthcare to cover homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone had experience with getting United Health Care to cover the cost of their homebirth?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 05:47 PM

I did! My midwife filled out the claim info she had (a generic sheet), we sent it off, and they sent me a check, no questions asked. My plan is for 70% since it's out of network, after deductible.

WAHMama to Allen (2-10-05) and Alexa (6-27-08)
#3 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 05:54 PM

yep.

-Angela
#4 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
nak... Yep, one filed by MW, and waiting for news on the second!

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#5 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 08:36 PM

Yes WE ARE!!!

My midwife said that they were one of the "better ones".

I'm STOKED!!!
70% for out of network, 90% in network... we are getting a special "in network" price, even tho my midwife is out of network, for the sheer reason that there is not another midwife with her designation within 30 miles of our home.
It took a little more arguing with them about details of mileage to get it, but YAY! 90%!!! GO United Healthcare!!!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#6 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 09:16 PM

yep, they covered mine at the 'out of network' rate too.

yay for united healthcare!

Chrissy, lucky mama to Noah (9), Lilah (6), Rowan (3) and Laney (1).
#7 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LianneM View Post
I did! My midwife filled out the claim info she had (a generic sheet), we sent it off, and they sent me a check, no questions asked. My plan is for 70% since it's out of network, after deductible.
Ditto!
#8 of 25 Old 11-08-2007, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Yes WE ARE!!!

I'm STOKED!!!
70% for out of network, 90% in network... we are getting a special "in network" price, even tho my midwife is out of network, for the sheer reason that there is not another midwife with her designation within 30 miles of our home.
It took a little more arguing with them about details of mileage to get it, but YAY! 90%!!! GO United Healthcare!!!
Just to make sure I'm understanding this right...when you say "designation", are you talking about DEM vs. CNM or just midwives in general. I'm hoping this will work because we are going to TTC next year and DH's job just switched to UHC. It would be so awesome to get this one paid for!!!

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#9 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 01:49 AM - Thread Starter

Okay, I'm getting really excited, but for those of you who had success, did you have a DEM or a CNM? My only option in Ohio is a DEM, and UHC doesn't have any DEMs listed as providers on their website. Are they just considered out of network?
#10 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 02:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMama View Post
Okay, I'm getting really excited, but for those of you who had success, did you have a DEM or a CNM? My only option in Ohio is a DEM, and UHC doesn't have any DEMs listed as providers on their website. Are they just considered out of network?
In TX non-CNMs can be licensed midwives. There are no Licensed midwives listed in network.

They paid for my licensed midwife without a problem (well they refused it the first 3 times - but don't they always? )

-Angela
#11 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 10:54 AM

Yeah UHC does cover for homebirth, just make sure that your midwife bills globally.

Livin' surf.gif Laughin' lol.gif Lovin' joy.gif - Just Me and Sammers, my homebirthin' little girl. 

#12 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 AM - Thread Starter

What does that mean "bills globally"? In Ohio it's alegal to be a DEM delivering babies at home. Will that be a problem?
#13 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMama View Post
What does that mean "bills globally"? In Ohio it's alegal to be a DEM delivering babies at home. Will that be a problem?
Possibly/probably hard to say.

-Angela
#14 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom327 View Post
Just to make sure I'm understanding this right...when you say "designation", are you talking about DEM vs. CNM or just midwives in general. I'm hoping this will work because we are going to TTC next year and DH's job just switched to UHC. It would be so awesome to get this one paid for!!!
Oh, I made the assumption that it was DEM vs. CNM... dh was the one that passed along the info to me, so for that, I'm not really sure!

Different drummer dancing with 3 kids in 3 decades.
#15 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 05:18 PM

I'm really wanting a homebirth for my next hypothetical child and we have UHC. I did call them and of course they said they don't cover homebirth. There is a highly recommended CNM that does homebirth around here...would she just send in a claim form and billing globally? Or does it depend on the state? I put a post in the "Finding Your Tribe Area," but so far no nibbles yet.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#16 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 08:43 PM

We have UHC PPO and they said they would cover our homebirth just fine.

Eternal Companion to DH , Homeschooling mama to DS 05/04 , DS 11/05 , DD 12/07 , DS 07/10 and one on the way: June 2015!
#17 of 25 Old 11-09-2007, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
I'm really wanting a homebirth for my next hypothetical child and we have UHC. I did call them and of course they said they don't cover homebirth. There is a highly recommended CNM that does homebirth around here...would she just send in a claim form and billing globally? Or does it depend on the state? I put a post in the "Finding Your Tribe Area," but so far no nibbles yet.
Don't ask them about homebirth - ask about midwives. They don't care where you birth, it's the provider that is billing and that they pay (or reimburse for).

HeatherB ~ mama to 3 wonderful boys:  reading.gif 03/02; modifiedartist.gif09/04; sleepytime.gif 09/07 - and Eliana, babygirl.gif 11/13/10!  
Founder of Houston Birth Alternatives: Be Informed, Encouraged, Supported birth support group and aspiring midwife.

#18 of 25 Old 11-30-2007, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt_phoenix View Post
Yes WE ARE!!!

I'm STOKED!!!
Oooooo....good to know!! Thanks for the info. I was so excited to find out they pay for midwives/HBs (the lady at UHC was laughing at me for being so psyched when I called to ask)...this extra tidbit is totally icing on the cake!

- Kim
#19 of 25 Old 11-30-2007, 02:08 AM

Yep, they also covered 70% for us but we had a good sized deductible before that. But it was still some good coverage. I also agree - don't ask about the homebirth aspect. If your MW is good w/ billing or uses someone who is, they can help out with that.

SugarMama to Chatterbox Zoe (almost 4) and Locomotive Miles (2)
#20 of 25 Old 12-01-2007, 12:12 AM

I just called this week to see if we could get coverage. My midwife said to say I wanted a gap exception so they will cover her at in network costs. They took all the info and said okay...somehow I don't think it will be that easy but I sure hope so.
#21 of 25 Old 12-01-2007, 12:37 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPLawyer View Post
Oooooo....good to know!! Thanks for the info. I was so excited to find out they pay for midwives/HBs (the lady at UHC was laughing at me for being so psyched when I called to ask)...this extra tidbit is totally icing on the cake!
Did you actually tell UHC that you were planning a homebirth? The billing company for my MW told me not to tell them that. If they asked where the baby was going to be delivered, to just say we weren't sure yet. She said when they bill they list place of birth as "office" and usually don't have a problem.
#22 of 25 Old 12-01-2007, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPLawyer View Post
I see you are in VA too, are you in Richmond by chance? I was going to call UHC next week and start working on my pre-approval since I heard from my MW that UHC usually doesn't help out much. Maybe things have changed. It would be wonderful to know I wouldn't have to pay it all out of pocket.
#23 of 25 Old 12-01-2007, 07:07 AM

here's a good thread on it: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ted+healthcare

FWIW, I've been paid numerous times by UHC.
#24 of 25 Old 12-01-2007, 07:15 AM

they should encourage hb! its cheap!
#25 of 25 Old 12-01-2007, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
here's a good thread on it: http://mothering.com/discussions/sho...ted+healthcare

FWIW, I've been paid numerous times by UHC.
Thank you! That's encouraging. Right now I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with terminology. I guess my first step is to establish whether my CNM is in or out of network. I'm guessing once I know that I ask if "out of hospital" births are covered.

Thanks for the support and looking out for other HB mamas to ease the process along. I really appreciate it!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page