WWYD? I need some advice/support (long) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 07:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Here's a quick background. I wasn't far enough in my natural parenting journey last time to plan a homebirth. It wouldn't have happened anyway because my son was frank breech from 32 weeks on. The practice I was using said my only option was a c-section and I accepted that. It was not the end of the world but I know that his birth was much less than it could have been. I want things to be different this time.

Well, I am currently 17 weeks with baby #2. This time I have hired a homebirth midwife and I love her. She's very supportive of my desire for a HBAC and I couldn't be more satisfied with her care. On some level I feel like all of this coming together is a sure sign that I am meant to have a homebirth this time around.

But there's a glitch - at least for me. The probable reason that my son was breech last time is because I have a unicornuate uterus (half the size of normal). The statistics (which are very limited) site an 80% chance that this baby will be breech as well. Since I am a major, major planner, this possibility is causing me some major anxiety. If my baby does end up being breech, my midwife cannot/will not attend me. I don't want to find out at 36 weeks that I have no practitioner and be scrambling to find someone. I tend to be very choosy about practitioners because I know how sucky they can be. I also want to be able to choose the hospital because I think that will increase the chance that I can have the birth that I want (as much as that will be possible).

So, I really feel like I need to work now to plan for the possibility that this baby is breech. I feel like if I have a plan in place, I can forget about it and focus my energy and attention on having the homebirth I am dreaming of.

Sorry, this is getting long. Here's my dilemma There is a practice in my city where the doctor was trained in Poland and has experience in delivering breech babies. I really like that idea. I would be a hospital vbac, have a hep loc and have to fight all the hospital BS. I guess I could deal with that. The problem being that the practice is all men and there is no guarantee that when I went into labor, I would get this guy.

My second option is a teaching hospital close by. There is a practice there that has been recommended but I am not sure what, if any, experience they have with breech deliveries and I don't know if I want to deal with having to turn away students. And what if they let them assist???? That practice is all women. They would also require the Hep lock and I'd have to deal with the hospital issues.

And as if that wasn't enough, here's my other consideration and my major fear with a breech delivery. : I am so, so terrified of having to have an episiotomy, especially becauase I plan to have no pain meds. All I can think of is that if I have to be cut, I would rather just have a c-section because at least my body has already been cut there AND I'd be numb. Why have two areas of my body scarred?

I need to talk this through. Thanks for listening.
#2 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 07:16 PM

I would keep looking for a midwife who would attend a homebirth breech.

good luck!

-Angela
#3 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 07:23 PM

I'd do what Angela said, but if you can't find another midwife, I'd go with the doctor from Poland and make sure he tells all the people he practices with your plans. Then, fight like anything in the hospital to do what you want to do. I'd also hire a doula if you're going to have to be in the hospital.

I wouldn't worry too much about an episiotomy. First, I'd let them know that if tearing instead of an episiotomy is an option, then you want that. If it's not an option, then I would stop worrying about the pain. All the women that I've heard from that have torn or had an episiotomy barely noticed, the real pain is the crowning, most people say you kind of don't notice anything else.

ETA: I had 2 homebirths, but no tearing, that's why I was talking in 3rd person there.
#4 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 09:15 PM

I would also try to find another mw, who will catch a breech! read, read, read, as well!
Can you set up an appointment, with the ob, as a back up, back up plan?? lol!
#5 of 7 Old 11-13-2007, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your replies. I just got back from my midwife appointment and am feeling much better.

This midwife has been the most supportive of my choice to have a homebirth AND seems to be the best fit for me. There is another HB midwife that I interviewed that might be more inclined to catch a breech (has knowingly attended a breech before) but she and I were not a good match and she told me that she would not attend a breech. Two other midwives would not attend me at home as a VBAC. I know on some deeper level that my current midwife is the one. If I do end up with a breech and at the hospital, she said that she will be my doula and will help me get the birth that I am looking for. That is a huge relief. She also said the same thing about episiotomy and said that it's totally not necessary. For some reason I had it in my head that delivering a baby breech increased the chances that you would get one. Don't know where I got that! I guess it's all in your communication with the doctor and your labor support. Just another example of my fears and having to put them to rest.

We also discussed the doctor/hospital thing and she validated my need to have that plan in place so that I won't feel compelled to give it more energy. She really liked the idea of the Polish doctor and thought that would be a good scenario but she felt I should interview both practices since we don't know if I would even get the Polish doctor if I go with that practice.

Thank you for listening and for sharing your advice.
#6 of 7 Old 11-14-2007, 12:52 AM

You might want to talk to the Polish dr... he may be willing to make an exception and come in even if he's not on call. My CNM for my son's birth agreed to do this, and I've heard of some OB's doing so as well. Explain to him how important this is to you, and how good a connection you feel with him. He will probably understand.

And YAY for your midwife agreeing to be your doula, if the need arises. She can take up the fight for you and allow you to focus on what's REALLY important!
#7 of 7 Old 11-14-2007, 02:12 AM

That sounds like a good plan to me.

IMO if you are aware there might be issues (particularly if those issues lead to a c-section) it is good to have a back-up plan that will ensure you getting the care you need.

Not all those who wander are lost 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page