What do you use for mattress protection? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 11-17-2007, 02:07 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am planning my second homebirth. I am 30 weeks along and just starting to gather my supplies. Last time we used plastic sheeting from the hardware store (under a fitted sheet) to protect our mattress. However, I really cannot STAND the smell of the stuff, plus I really disliked the whole feel and sound of plastic on my bed. My midwife recommended a shower curtain, but I am trying to avoid vinyl because of the VOC off-gassing and the smell of a shower curtain is even worse. I cannot for the life of me figure out an alternative that would provide reliable protection for our mattress.

I have thought maybe a thick wool blanket might work? I am really stumped and would like to find a better solution because I plan to co-sleep with my cloth-diapered baby and I think I might need some extra mattress protection for that, too!

Am I just being a prima donna here? Should I just get over it and put the darn plastic on my bed?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-17-2007, 02:19 AM

i'm using a flannel backed tablecloth.
Old 11-17-2007, 03:25 AM

We have one of these on our bed right now (waiting for baby in a few days), and though it crinkles a tiny bit, I put a thin blanket and two sheets over it and it's barely noticeable. I don't care about the sheets and blankets, though, they're from the thrift store-- I just want to keep my $500 worth of futon and wool mattress topper safe!

They are very thin polyethylene, and don't smell much, if at all, as far as I can tell.

The only thing about using a wool blanket for a birth that strikes me is that while wool is great for protecting against dampness (and it's what I use under babies, leaky breasts, and ECing toddler), it's not so great for larger amounts of... liquid... and "compression wicking" can be an issue. The flannel-backed tablecloth is most likely coated with vinyl, but if it's not brand-new the smell should have dissipated.

Pregnant and/or breastfeeding since May, 2004, with dd6, ds4, and dd born 9/11.
We homeschool.gif.
Old 11-17-2007, 04:30 AM

Some people like to use those rubberized flannel sheets that they make for cribs and changing tables. I think you can get it by the yard at the fabric store.

Maybe you just want to throw some towels or blankets under you when the baby is coming. That seems to work pretty well too.
Old 11-17-2007, 06:45 AM

If you want, you can "break in" a shower curtain by actually using it in your shower for a few weeks prior to giving birth. I agree the smell of a new shower curtain can be very unpleasant, but after it gets a chance to air out, and gets all rinsed off from the water, the smell will disappear. It will also help make it more pliable so it's not all stiff and bent where it was folded when it's under your sheets.

Ditto for a vinyl tablecloth. Just lay it out - maybe even on your table! - for a few weeks and let it air out.
Old 11-17-2007, 11:39 AM

My midwife recommended a vinyl shower curtain liner.
Old 11-17-2007, 02:30 PM

Flannel-backed tablecloth (not real flanned, but flannel-y). It was a halloween tablecloth marked down to $1 after the holiday was over. I've used it for two births so far.

Shayla ~ Crunch-tastic UC mama of 3 nature kids and a moon baby

Old 11-17-2007, 03:19 PM

Here's an idea, natural latex fabric:

http://www.mjtrends.com/products.Red...latex-sheeting

$9.99/yard, so wouldn't be outrageously expensive.

I actually like the idea of lining a bed with this that a babe's going to be sleeping on.

ETA: They've got other options, too, that are 100% rubber. Here's their main page: http://www.mjtrends.com/
Old 11-17-2007, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaScout View Post
I have thought maybe a thick wool blanket might work? I am really stumped and would like to find a better solution because I plan to co-sleep with my cloth-diapered baby and I think I might need some extra mattress protection for that, too!
I use wool blankets as mattress protection against bedwetting, but I personally would want a bit more protection for a birth. I lanolised them a bit, and use two or three at a time (some are thick, some are kind of thin).
Old 11-18-2007, 11:28 AM

I used a king sized wool puddle pad and while I was in labor I had disposable chux pads underneath my bottom. It was just fine and nothing leaked through. If you have a king sized bed I would suggest making sure the puddle pad has elastic straps as it's super helpful in keeping everything from getting bunched up.

This is the one I got.

Before I bought the puddle pad I actually tried a shower curtain just to see how it was and I absolutely could not stand it. It made me sweat.

I'll also add that I'm glad I got it because it made nursing on the bed less stressful in terms of leakage and spit ups!

Opinionated Mama to dd 2/23/03, ds 3/20/05 hbac, dd 1/23/08 2hbac, and baby #4 due in June 2010!
Old 11-18-2007, 04:20 PM

I got a shower curtain, but I got one from target that was an EVA vinyl. I don't have the package near me, but from what I understand it's environmentally more friendly (made without chlorine?).
Old 11-18-2007, 06:38 PM

We have a $6.99 mattress wrapper from target that zips all the way around our futon, since I'm not sure whether I'll want to move it around while I'm laboring. We put sheets over it, and it's fine and fairly comfy.

But it DID stink to high heaven when we unrapped it, so it spend a week outside clothespinned to the deck to take care of most of the nasty outgassing. We also put it on 8 weeks before I was 'due' so it can continue to breathe a bit before the baby comes. Not perfect, but the best available option in our price range.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 11-18-2007, 07:02 PM

Our thifty choice is to use our old shower curtain. Yes, we save our shower curtains when they are to old and beat up to be used in the bathroom. We wash them in the washing machine to get them clean. Because they are old, they do not have that gassy, icky smell. As for the krinkling, well, I guess we'll just have to deal. Your idea of a wool blanket sounds pretty feasable. I guess I would still want something waterproof underneath it as mattresses are such an important investment.
--K

Kim. My heart is full! Wife to Ray, Mama to 3 boys!  "Big C", our boy with designer genes, "Little C", and "Baby M" 11/2010.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:17 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The best bed protection is to avoid giving birth in bed.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pamamidwife View Post
The best bed protection is to avoid giving birth in bed.
lol !!! totally true.

i won't do PVC stuff, either. i did get some non pvc shower curtains for my bathroom at target. that would work. it was 9.99 and made of EVA vinyl, which is supposed to be safer. they didn't smell, so i assume it was less offgassing.

alternatively, we have felted wool on our beds. so far it's worked pretty well, mattress protection-wise. (um, as long as you actually put it on the mattress...)
Old 11-20-2007, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mothragirl View Post
i'm using a flannel backed tablecloth.
Exactly what I did, $2 at Walmart!
get a pack of Assurance underpads, too, whatever you don't use for the birth, make great mattress protectors for that PP bleeding, sponge bath pads for baby, and older, pukey kids can lay on them when sick!
Old 11-20-2007, 07:07 PM

I just bought 2 vinyl shower curtain liners, washed and dried them for a few minutes. I was shocked at how soft and flexible they became and they didn't smell at all.

Alyssa
Mama to Scott (USAF), Katie (18), Karlie (16), Kimmy (9), Klara (4.5), and Baby Khloe (2.5)

User Tag List