Flat Pelvis? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 12:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't take a whole lot of what my OB says seriously but during an exam at the beginning of my pregnancy, she told me I had a "flat" pelvis. I blew it off then but lately, it's been interfering with my confidence in homebirthing a bit.

Does anyone know what this means? My MW just said something about maybe it not being curved but didn't seem to think it was a big deal. But I'm confused. Does anyone know what that term means?
#2 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 02:56 PM

Hi Christy.
Me, too!!! I have a flat pelvic bone. I had a heck of a time trying to push my first out (hospital, laying on my back, after 2+ hours ended up with vacuum extraction). My mw and I talked about this at great lengths b/c it was a real concern for me. She told me that the best positions for pushing for me were upright (birthing stool or squating) or on hands and knees. I choose the birthing stool and she had me gently lean back on someone while on there to open the fron of my pelvis as much as possible. It took less than 30 minutes and very little pain. Her little head was even shaped rounded. My first poor baby had a very sore head from ramming it against my pelvic bone for a couple of hours.
I know what you mean about not believe much the OB says, but for me, finding this out about the shape of my body gave me the power to find the best positions for pushing. I probably would not have chosen the birthing stool if I didn't know about the flat pelvis.
I'm just bummed it doesn't look flat from the outside
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about it.

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#3 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 05:18 PM - Thread Starter

Glad to see I'm not alone! Even more glad to hear it didn't hinder your homebirth! I was diagnosed with CPD with my first birth :, so maybe that's actually why she wouldn't come out very quickly.

I had planned on delivering in the water this time but maybe it would be better if I got out at the pushing stage and tried my hands and knees? Thanks for the support!
#4 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 06:22 PM

me too!
I was told by my mw after trying to push my dd out for 2 hrs that I had a flat pelvic bone. I had been pushing in bed on my side and sitting up on the toilet with no luck (didn't help that dd was also posterior). Oddly enough, once I flipped onto my back, I started to make progress. It could have just been the movement from side to front that caused dd to turn face down, though, making it easier to push her out.

I plan to push this baby out in a squat if at all possible. It just makes sense to me.

Anyway, don't worry too much about it. Just from this small sampling, it seems like flat pelvic bones are pretty common. The baby will come out. Probably the most important thing is to listen to your body when you're birthing and push in whatever position feels right to you.

peace, Beth
#5 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 06:44 PM - Thread Starter

Wow! I thought I was a freak! We should have our own club! lol
#6 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 10:15 PM

Hey, can I join the club, too? What's the password? Maybe it's "Flat is where it's at?"

I never heard the term until I met with our backup midwife during my last pregnancy. She examined me a bit and said, "Oh, you have a flat pelvis." I asked my regular midwife about it and she said that it just wasn't a big deal at all. She'd help me find positions that worked if I couldn't during the birth.

I tried a water birth, but I think I was the 1 in a 1000 women that felt more pain being in the water. (Anyone in our club relate?)

When I got out of the water (After trying squating, hands and knees, etc) I laid down on the couch in a modified squat on my back with my knees back. It did the trick and Jude slid right under my pelvic bones. Yeah!

I think OBs have a tendancy to make things sound like a complication when in fact, it's just a variation of normal.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
#7 of 8 Old 08-18-2003, 10:23 PM

Claire,
I couldn't stand the water either. That is weird, isn't it? : I had to stand the entire time. I never occured to me that the old pelvic bone might be why. Hmmm, very interesting! Glad to see there are so many flat pelviced homebirthers!

Paige, mama to three girls, (10), (8) and (3)
#8 of 8 Old 08-19-2003, 12:55 AM

Just wanted to say that waterbirthing is great on hands and knees, too! You'll know what you want to do when the time comes.

I read something by Robbie Davis-Floyd (an anthropologist who studies birth) that OBs very often make mention of hips/pelvis, etc early on so that when they have to perform some intervention or diagnose CPD or do that C-sect, they've already planted the idea in the moms' heads so they don't argue and go along A good friend of mine was told by her first OB she'd never birth vaginally----but switched care providers and birthed two 8 lb babies without medication. Goes to show!

All the best,

Amy

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page