Twins homebirth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 12-27-2007, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have had 2 births, both beautiful homebirths. We just found out we are expecting twins. Are there any twin birth stories out there? I am wanting a vaginal birth. We are undecided yet about where...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2007, 01:48 AM

Welcome! And congrats on your twins!

Check out the "Parenting Multiples" subforum (under "Parenting"). Many of the twins moms have had homebirths, one mom recently had a UC!

My twins were born in a hospital (due to Twin to Twin Transfusion Syndrome) but they were both born vaginally. They are almost 5yo now.

treehugger.gif Erika
mom of twins.gif (8)  blahblah.gif(5) thumbsuck.gif (3) and baby.gif born at home on Christmas day! 
Old 12-27-2007, 12:46 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the pointer. I will head over there and see what I can find out!
Old 12-27-2007, 12:49 PM

you should watch Psalm & Zoya: The unassisted homebirth of twins. It is my favorite birth movie!
Old 12-27-2007, 07:20 PM

Hi Likeniceweather, I was a in your shoes just a year ago. I had a picture perfect HB with my first DD and then i found out at 20 weeks that we were carrying twins and that no MW in my state would take them, let alone HB them. I was angry, devasted, and heartbroken. I interviewed 20+ OB's and bawled my way home in car after car. I gave up and switched to an OB/MW team at a hospital - she she turned out to be a wolf in sheeps clothes and I KNEW my heart couldn;t do this. It was a long struggle. is tarted a notebook and called every last resource I could find and I asked for help from anyone who would listen. I decided there HAD to be a way. I eventually found a traveling MW and a lay MW 2 hours away that would assist her. I had a lot of other "helpers" for things I needed who remained anonymous along the way (CPM's and direct entry MW's are A-legal in our state and the CNM's don't take twins in any setting). i delivered my twins at home in water at 39 weeks. They weighed 7lbs 6oz and 7lbs 4oz - both girls.

I will help you in any way I can PM me if you like. In the mean time read the Book: Having Twins by Elizabeth Noble and start eating protien like MAD you can do this. Where there is a will there is a way.

Hugs,

Erika
Old 12-28-2007, 09:06 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Erika,
Right now I am eating whatever I can keep down. The naseau is overwhelming. Blah! I have been trying to eat protein as I can. I am a veg but I do dairy and eggs... I will eat as much as I can and I am sure as the naseau and vomiting pass, I can do better. I will check out Nobels book. I saw her birth video before my 1st was born which we enjoyed. I didnt realize she had a book on twins. Than you for your support. I am really glad I found this site! I automatically assumed a hospital birth when we found out twins but now I am feeling like HB may be my comfort zone, because all these stories are telling me "Yes I can!" Thanks again!!!!
Old 12-30-2007, 10:05 PM

I had my twins at "home." Like Erika, there was nobody in my state who could take me on. I found an out-of-state midwife who took me on. At 36 weeks, I relocated to a temporary rental home in another state, and my babies were born there at 38 1/2 weeks. It can be done, if you're determined!

I second checking out the Parenting Multiples forum.

Congrats on the twins!

Wife of one and mom of five, including my HBAC twins!
Old 01-01-2008, 03:25 PM

Old 01-01-2008, 04:21 PM

I have assisted my midwife with five twin homebirths. All were just wonderful and included frank and footling second twins in a couple. I have had twins twice and wished for homebirth but first time couldn't find anyone to help, second time was planned at home but we went preterm 9 weeks early because of one baby being very sick/disabled. That said, if I ever had twins again I would still plan homebirth and do so if I could get to term. The key is finding a great twin experienced midwife! And keeping them in until 36 weeks (my midwife's protocol) or 37 by some midwives standards.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter

I am glad you posted. I have 4 friends with twins. I have started getting birth stories and they ALL had sections! I am started to be dishartened. (2 or the sets were in the NICU too I just want what you did!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

I just watched your video YOU ARE AMAZING-GO GIRL! I am so glad you posted!!!
Just curious your 1st son- were you GBS - or +? (That has always been another thing in the back of my head) I have always ben - but if I were + would I try to do the ABX at home for the HB.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:06 PM - Thread Starter

We are on the search. My midwife who helped with the last birth has only done 1 twin HB, she is calling around for me. I am keeping my fingers xed.
Old 01-03-2008, 05:48 PM

I had my twins at home almost 2 years ago. I had also had my first 2 at home and didn't want to do it any other way. There's a link to my birth story with them in my siggy!

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.
Old 01-03-2008, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeniceweather View Post
Thanks Erika,
Right now I am eating whatever I can keep down. The naseau is overwhelming. Blah! I have been trying to eat protein as I can. I am a veg but I do dairy and eggs... I will eat as much as I can and I am sure as the naseau and vomiting pass, I can do better. I will check out Nobels book. I saw her birth video before my 1st was born which we enjoyed. I didnt realize she had a book on twins. Than you for your support. I am really glad I found this site! I automatically assumed a hospital birth when we found out twins but now I am feeling like HB may be my comfort zone, because all these stories are telling me "Yes I can!" Thanks again!!!!

Re nausea: Daily vitamin B 12 shots - 1cc. You can gradually cut back as the nausea recedes. I cut back to every third day, then once a week and now I do about every two to three weeks. It also helped with energy. By mouth B12 won't work though. My hb midwife had access to get me a bottle of B12 and enough syringes to have my husband do it for me at home.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by likeniceweather View Post
I have had 2 births, both beautiful homebirths. We just found out we are expecting twins. Are there any twin birth stories out there? I am wanting a vaginal birth. We are undecided yet about where...
By all means,, PLEASE have them at home. My preceptor has done about 6 sets so far, and I have been a doula for a set born in the hospital vaginally(and they went full term). Robin Elise Weiss is the moderator for pregnancy.about.com and she had her 5&6th babies at home, and she was also a VBAC, i believe...she has also had another baby since then. Keep looking to find a midwife who will take you(preferably a CPM(certified professional midwife); most hospitals will cut you open automatically and the hospital policies wont allow most CNMs to do either homebirhts or twins...its a shame too, cuz i think homebirth is better for the babies!
Gail Sforza Brewer Krebs (former wife of the late Dr. Tom Brewer ) had her 8&9 lb babies in a birth center, (I believe)....and in the back of one of her books it has the birth story with pictures.I think it was the Pregnancy after 30 workbook...
Old 01-04-2008, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

I assume it is via prescription only then? I will have to ask about that. I have never heard of that did it really help a lot???
Old 01-04-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the encouragement. I really *want* to have them home now. Now its about finding support to do it. DH and is on board too.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

I loved your story and the photos. I want to do what you did! (Minus feeling like he was clawing from the inside out!!! -ouch!! ) And how awesome the were both vertex! I really hope I can find the support to do it too! Your story is awesome. Thank you.
Old 01-04-2008, 04:53 PM

Have you joined the July DDC yet? A few mamas are preg with twins so far. I heard the August 2006 DDC has 9 sets of twins, some born at home, so you could always read through the DDC archive for their stories.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 01-04-2008, 04:58 PM

You might want to go to the Birth Stories subforum and do a "twin" key word search. And triplets, too

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

User Tag List