"Concurrent Care" - Mothering Forums

#1 of 3 Old 01-15-2008, 08:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Has anyone done this and can you explain how it ends up working? My insurance does not cover any part of a homebirth so I thought I would continue with my OB until around 20 weeks (since it is free and my OB is nice and not pushy) and then start seeing a midwife.

However, based on a friend's dreadful experience during transfer to a hospital I thought it might be a good idea to continue going to the OB so if there is a problem I can just go to the hospital and pretend I had been laboring at home and planning to come in all along. Is that the point in doing concurrent care?

Also what do you do after the sucessful homebirth? Just call the OB and say "oops, baby slipped out too fast for me to get to the hospital?"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 3 Old 01-15-2008, 10:18 PM

I had concurrent care during both of my pregnancies but my HCP was aware of my intentions to HB so it wasn't an issue. Perhaps your MW has a couple doctors in mind that regularly work with HB clients? In my first pregnancy with my OB it was "Don't ask--don't tell" because his hospital privileges were at stake and it wasn't the best atmosphere for him to openly see and support HB clients. So I told him my intentions, he said that we would continue as normal and that when I went into labor and just didn't show up at the hospital, that was my business. With my family practice doctor she is much more relaxed and everyone is open about the fact that we are planning a HB. After 36 weeks she wished me good luck and said no reason to come back any more and that hopefully we wouldn't be seeing each other for the birth.

I did end up transferring to the hospital last labor. By that time I had switched from the OB to the family practice doc. After the decision to transfer my midwives called ahead of time to let them know that we were attempting a homebirth and transferring in so that they would have everything ready. My doctor met us there and that was that!

mommy to ds 11/05, dd1 01/08, and dd2 01/10!
#3 of 3 Old 01-16-2008, 04:33 AM

I'm also interested in concurrent (aka parallel) care with an OB since insurance will pay for all the labs etc., and also to have a backup provider if I do need to go to the hospital.

Ideally, my OB will be like strawberryfields' new person.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page