Best thing to be drinking during labor? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-27-2008, 01:54 AM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Recharge here too. I also had emergen-C, RRL labor infusion, RRL ice cubes, and miso soup ice cubes on hand. But, my labor was rather short and I never had the opportunity to eat/drink anything except the Recharge.

Mama to DS1 (12/07), DS2 (4/11), and DD (6/22/14)
Finally diagnosed with APS after 3 s (11/09, 3/10, 7/13)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-27-2008, 03:11 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've got some vitaCoco coconut water that will be chilled and ready to drink. I'll also make some homemade electrolyte drink for another option. Like Lizafava, I make it when we are sick and it's always MUCH better than Gatorade or any other commercial brand stuff. I got really nauseated/puky in labor with ds and the idea of puking gatorade is particularly yuck!

me, wife to dh, the movie geek (7/01), mama to ds1, budding Star Wars geek (10/05), dd, budding princess of the dirt (03/08) and ds2, budding extrovert. watch out! (8/10).
Old 02-20-2008, 04:59 PM

My midwives gave me chlorophyll water.

Emily Wife to Luke and Mama to: Violet 9-20-05 Fletcher 12-20-07 : and Owen 7-03-09
Old 02-20-2008, 05:47 PM

Recharge was amazing for me when I was in labor. I couldn't keep any solids down and it was a lifesaver.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 02-21-2008, 04:40 AM

Whatever you choose, make sure it's something you can potentially live without after. During labor, my mws insisted I drink apple juice, against my better judgement. I barfed it all up in transition-not without a small sense of triumph btw
But, I can't tolerate the smell of apples in any form since then and I used to love them!

This time, I'm going for some watered-down recharge and I'm going to brew a big pot of rrl iced tea (due in hot August)

Zoie, granola mum to three boys on earth, one girl who soars  
Old 02-21-2008, 11:09 AM

I drank juicy juice punch, watered down...

Mom of many minions . . . babyf.gif jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif     jumpers.gif
"And when our baby stirs and struggles to be born it compels humility: what we began is now its own." Margaret Mead 
Old 02-22-2008, 04:59 PM

My midwife recommended a protein water (like Special K). It has a little sugar and 5g protein. I tried one a few weeks ago and it doesn't 'swing' my blood sugar (I'm hypoglycemic) like gatorade or fruit juice does. I'm still waiting for our first baby (38+ weeks now), so we'll see what I actually do use.
Old 02-22-2008, 05:25 PM

I liked water and apple juice. I'm not a puker though. I also ate during early labor, granola bars, cheerios, easy to digest stuff.
Old 02-22-2008, 06:38 PM

My MW provides a recipe for a home made labor-ade drink. I'm sure I'll make that but have some RRL tea on hand too.
Old 08-28-2013, 05:15 PM

Try honey sticks. You can get naturally flavored ones and much easier to digest! 

Old 08-28-2013, 05:27 PM

So I got my kids a snow cone maker this summer and thought it would be awesome during labor. Just the shaved ice or with a dose of something to recharge on top. Anyone have a good Laborade recipe that is not too tart or sweet I could make concentrate for the snow cones? I am not sure how honey would work, but maybe if it was predesolved. I did make a laborade with one of my births, not sure if I remembered to drink it, I think it was a little tart. I wonder if a nectar like mango or nectarine diluted with a little Smart water would be a good substitute. Usually for my kids I use 100% juice concentrate melted for snow cone flavors. Lemonade is good too. My midwife required Smart water to be stocked for labors. It is actually found in a lot of Generics as well these days. It is just water with electrolytes. So the same as Gatorade with out the extra stuff. She could use it for a hydration enema as well for emergencies. Okay that post was a little random, but there are so many cool ideas! 

Old 08-29-2013, 12:23 PM

Coconut water, can't say enough good about it. Nirvana is my favorite brand
Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 AM

I drank plain old water for most of my very long labor. Towards the end my doula gave me water with a bit of liquid Chlorophyll and honey. I needed the extra calories!

Anita caffix.gif , married to the best fuzmalesling.gif, mom to DD 6energy.gif, TTC#2 babyf.gif

Looking forward to homebirth.jpg,bfinfant.gif, andcd.gif!

Old 09-12-2013, 04:42 AM

Homemade electrolyte drinks... coconut water, fruit, herbs if you like, muddle in a pitcher or jar. Lots of recipes online. That and iced nettle tea, and possibly a bit of wine.

User Tag List