Need Help Writing a Letter - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 09-01-2003, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm pretty good with words but I need a little help getting started if you don't mind. After this Wednesday's appointment with my OB, I will be dropping her care. The easiest approach for me would be to write her a letter which is what I'd like to do.

I've written formal letters before but I'm not sure what I need to include in the letter. I'd like to offer some explanation of why I'm leaving but I don't want to go into too much detail.

So can someone help me get started and give me an idea of the basics of what to include? Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 09-02-2003, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

BUMP!

My dr's appointment is tomorrow and I haven't even started it yet!
#3 of 4 Old 09-03-2003, 12:54 AM

maybe I can help a little, though I chose to notify my care provider (a cnm practice) by phone that I would no longer be using them.

you don't specify your reasons for switching, or what alternative you are choosing (CNM, CPM, lay midwife, UC?) so I will make my suggestions general:

dear dr. ____,

I am writing to inform you that I have chosen other arrangements for my care in the remainder of my pregnancy, and for my birth. I believe that my needs are no longer compatible with your practice, and I have another provider better suited to my needs. Thank you for the care you have provided thus far. I am also requesting a copy of my prenatal records, that I might pass them along to my new provider. Please notify me of the fee, if any, for obtaining the copy of my records.

sincerely,

_______

OK, hopefully that is helpful. in all honesty, I would not go into much detail about your new choice, esp. if it involves a midwife who is questionably legal in your state (I am coming from the view of an aspiring midwife, and also someone who had a lay midwife attend her HB) because it could cause problems for her if the OB decided to be vindictive. Unfortunately in some states the health dept. and local drs. are prosecuting midwives, and using whatever ammunition they can get. I would stick to the facts, though I think constructive criticism is a great idea. if you are leaving because you recieved less than ideal care, tell the OB. make sure to get your records. they may charge a small fee to copy, but it should not be unreasonable.

good luck!
and blessings on your journey!
-Lau
#4 of 4 Old 09-04-2003, 03:50 AM

I'm not going to write a letter. At 31 weeks, they wanted me to start coming in every two weeks. I did not schedule the appointment and will call to schedule one for 36 weeks, when I will get eh strep test. After that I do not plan on going back in, and I sincerely doubt they will notice. I do not plan to cut ties with them, because in the event that I transfer, I will need a backup doctor. And he is a family practitioner who will see all fo us when we need his type of medical care over the next few years.

He has never asked where I intend to birth.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page