What did you do with your placenta? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-08-2002, 08:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think I already mentioned that my 5 and 3 year olds' are still in the freezer... however, I have just planted my baby's under a willow tree, for which she is named!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-08-2002, 10:24 PM

When I had dd#1, I had no idea about anything to do with saving placentas. That was years ago now. This time, when I had dd#2, I had planned to do a tree of life print. She ended up being an accidental unassisted home birth. They'd called an ambulance so by the time it got here, dd had already been born but the placenta hadn't come out. The ambo guys were pretty hot & were wandering around my bedroom in white gloves. Then this midwife, who was really unpleasant who I'd never met before turned up. She wanted me to squat on the bed in my office clothes ( dd was early & I had been to work that morning ) in a pool of blood, in front of 2 hot guys & push the placenta out. Needless to say nothing happened. So she told me to go to the toilet. All I did was sat down to pee & it fell out. We then had to fish it out of the toilet & put it in a carrier bag & take it to the birthing suite at the hospital coz my midwife was there so she could check if it was complete.

I asked her to do me a print. She looked at me like I was a loon, but still did it. It was a bit smudgy. Poor placenta had been on a bit of a journey by this time. I got her to give it to me to take home. dh was horrified. Eventually I managed to get the placenta home, I'd love to have tried eating it but dh is way too straight & would have been totally wierded out by it. In the end, I got him to plant it under the kauri tree in the front yard.
Old 04-15-2002, 01:21 AM

DH and I bought some really nice water color paper and plan to do a tree of life print. i also want to take several pictures of it. i saw an amazing one in midwifery today. also i'm sure we'll plant it somewhere, sometime.

those recipes are great! thanks
Old 04-17-2002, 03:41 PM

i am eight weeks along with third baby and am considering eating the placenta. i've been really thinking about how pregnancy and birth are relatively great for me i've had two natural births. but post partum is terrrible. after the high of having a baby, i sink very low and i was thinking why do we discard all those wonderful hormones?

i'm not exactly excited about ingesting this organ, but it's starting to look like an option. the possibility of preventing depression in an organic manner is something i must discover. what i'm wondering is does cooking break down hormones? i know some are still intact in other meats. and should i ration this thing? should i share it? i dunno if i can be a cat, eat it all raw at once. with wasabe maybe?

as for cooking, i know a little about cooking. can anyone tell me what kind of meat this resembles in taste and texture?

if you've eaten your placenta i want to hear from you.
Old 04-17-2002, 04:27 PM

If you like, I'll get a hold of some recipies and post them here. My midwives pointed out that the placenta is the only meat one can eat without killing an animal. Many animals eat their placenta and I'm sure humans did, too, before we developed some sort of taboo against it. If one is suseptible to PPD, I think eating the placenta would be a wise way to prevent or at least minimize the symptoms. I fully support your decision, whatever it turns out to be. Let me know if you need more info.

(In case you didn't see, I already posted two recipies: one for grinding the placenta into a powder, which can be put into capsules available online or at your local health food store; the other for a tonic, similar to Bach's flower remedies.)
Old 04-17-2002, 08:42 PM

Casina, this is how a friend of mine (one of my midwifes actually) ate her placenta. During the first week after she gave birth, whenever she was feeling tired or frazzled she would make herself a fruit smoothy with a chunk of raw placenta whirled up in it. She actually craved it because it made her feel so much better. She is the only person anyone in the midwife practice has ever known who actually ate the entire thing!

Judy mom to Dash (9), Corbin (7) and Will (3) :
Old 04-18-2002, 02:25 AM

i appreciate your candor and encouragement for what most people would consider unthinkable. i've already printed out your recipes paula, thank you.

i did find some other recipes but most interestingly an account written by mary field on birthrites.com. she found herself unable to eat it cooked so she kept it in her refrigerator and would slice a little chunk off with e knife, put it in the back of her throat and swallow it.

this method appeals to me since i'd rather not lose properties of the placenta by manipulating it. the fruit smoothie is a great option for the same reasons. thank you, dashs mama. i'm very interested in making the powder and the essence. the essence sounds especially easy. hey if this works then i WILL have the energy to do these things.

mary field also mentions craving it and noticing an immediate antidepressant effect when she ate placenta. she also says she had a ten day lochia when with her previous baby she bled for five weeks.

the more i read about the healing properties the more i'm convinced i will have to try this. i have had, in modern circumstances, two model pregnancies and births and the placenta may be the missing link. when i had ppd the first time i attributed it to being a new mother and learning to nurse. but when it happenned again it really baffled me. i thought i had reached a good place in my life and was beyond these insanities.

i'll make sure to let y'all know how it goes late november-december. hey i'll have fun looking for special vessels for the mother essence. more wonderful than saffron diamonds or gold!
Old 04-18-2002, 11:58 AM

Best wishes, casina, for another wonderful pregnancy and glorious birth. I hope you can avoid PPD this time around by making use of that most miraculous organ, the placenta.
Old 04-27-2002, 06:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks everyone who responded to this!!! I think I may do the freeze dried pills thingy.I'm going to pass the recipes on to my midwife,thanks a bundle for printing them out!! You rock!!
Old 04-28-2002, 09:03 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Mine is in the freezer too, but I just wanted to add my midwives do prints of the placenta by placing them in paint and pressing them on watercolor paper. They look great!
Old 04-29-2002, 02:05 PM

We planted ours on the lunar birthday ( she was born on Full Moon October 2000, and we planted on full moon Oct 2001)

We picked a fruit tree, a mango tree for lots of reasons.

I wrote an article about Placenta Blessingways if you are interested. You can find it on line at www.gaiasmoon.com click on the gaias almanack and you will see the article ( it is like the 3rd one down)

KeysMama
Old 04-29-2002, 02:19 PM

We also have our DD's placenta in our freezer. But, it's only been there for 14 weeks.

Just after DD was born we bought a beautiful parcel of land in Vermont where we plan to build a house within 3 years & raise DD (and hopefully another beautiful baby). We will be visting our land in a few weeks & plan to bury her placenta near a young tree that will be visible from our house.

I'm really looking forward to planting DD's placenta...it will be the first step in making this land our new home.
Old 05-03-2002, 05:28 PM

Knowing that we were moving eventually I put it in a pretty planter with some dirt and compost and let it decompose. I will plant something in it soon but hope to always keep that "golden dirt" around to give to her when she is older for her plants.
Old 05-04-2002, 04:37 AM

newmomlearning,
Where in Vermont?????
PM me if you like.

Mommy2zaGirls,
what a great idea!! I've been feeling so disrespectful of dd's placenta. 17 months now, and it's still in the freezer! we had (another) power outage with the wind storm today, and I keep thinking of all the times it's thawed a little and refrozen.
It's time to let it do its thing.

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

Old 05-06-2002, 02:42 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
As an apprentice midwife, I offer to make placenta prints for the new mom. The last one I did looked like a rose. Just arrange them on blotter paper, and do both fetal (shiny) and maternal (bumpy) sides. Usually, the fetal side looks like roots, and the maternal side looks like an oak tree.

Placentas do not keep well in the freezer for very long, but a frozen placenta can still be used to make a print, though the image is a little dilute.

Stephanie
Old 05-06-2002, 03:32 PM

I'm a vegetarian but I really like the idea of consuming the placenta in capsule form. However, is there any way to capsule it with out using gelatin caps? Paula, do you know?
I like the idea of getting all the benefits that the placenta gives but if I could not capsule it without using the gelatin caps I would probably opt for a tree planting.

Kylix
Old 05-06-2002, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Glad to hear that I can still use my placenta to make a print, even tho its been in the freezer! After one mom said the consistancy changed alot after being frozen, I was ready to forget the whole thing! My placenta was really unusual looking. It looked more like two lungs attached in the middle. The doctor said he had never seen one like it. THus my desire to make a print!

thanks!

User Tag List