UPDATE Rant - I'm so glad I didn't have to deal with this... - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Update from original poster - mom decided to schedule a c-section 2 weeks before her due date because doctor had convinced her baby was going to be too big. Baby weighed in at 7 lbs. 5 oz.
#32 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 01:34 PM

It's so sad when a doctor takes advantage of a woman like that. And even sadder that she went along with it.

Sara caffix.gif, Keith 2whistle.gif, Toby 6/08superhero.gif, Nomi 4/10blahblah.gif, Mona 1/12 hammer.gif

Mama of three, lover, student rabbi, spoonie, friend, musician, narcoleptic, space muffin, pretty much a dragon. Crunchy like matzoh.

#33 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 01:51 PM

We really need the exploding smiley at times like this.

And I'll bet anything that the doc said, "Oh look, he was 7 lbs. ALREADY at 38 weeks! I bet he would have been 10 lbs. by full term! Good thing we got him out in time!" :
#34 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 02:36 PM

Thats so sad. And now, she probably wont be lucky enough to be able to try a VBAC (unless of course she actually does some research but...yeah...) for any future kids. I wish OBs like that could be held accountable. PLEASE, almost 3 more pounds in 2 weeks? YEAH RIGHT. My personal experience was-3 weeks early, 6lbs 14oz. 1 week early, 7 lbs 12oz. 2 weeks overdue, 8lbs 6oz. The biggest one was 8lbs 14oz born 4 days before her due date. LOL my overdue baby was smaller than my on time baby.

I also always find it funny because on ultrasound, my babys actually measure smaller than they are. I think I can safely say I have NEVER met someone who had an ultrasound be even remotely accurate on weight. My own overdue dude was ultrasounded the day before and estimated at right around 7 lbs. The next day he was born at almost a pound and a half bigger. I do know its more accurate early on though, but loses its accuracy the farther along the pregnancy is.

Ironically my old OB was the one who once told me that women dont grow babies too big to deliver. Their bodies naturally restrict growth. He said the only time there was even a question was with a tiny asian woman and her huge samoan hubby. Even then however, the baby was born smallish (I think he said around 7 pounds) with no problems. By a month old he looked very samoan however Id say coming from a Harvard educated OB with over 25 years of experience under his belt, its pretty safe to assume he knew what he was talking about. (I might also add that he had never had a case of *baby being too big to be delivered vaginally.* The only time a cesarean was needed was due to bad positioning or baby being in distress-of course, not all of those were necessary either if you think about it, but its still pretty impressive to hear from an OBs own mouth.)

Cari-mama to Eriq, Lile, Paikea, Kaidyn, and Mieke is here!! 2/9/10
#35 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Who told docs that women can't deliver 'big' babies? Why is this the go to for every doc who can't find any other reason to induce or do a csection? Why are we not educating our docs on these subjects? It seems so elementary to me. Poor women who don't know any better. It makes me angry, and sad to think about moms and babies going threw this everyday. Ultrasounds can be up to 3lbs off (or so I've heard) so that means inducing a baby that is '7lbs' could come out only being '4lbs' and underdeveloped. GGGRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happily unmarried to DP guitar.gifParenting: DD (March '06) energy.gifwaterbirth.jpg, DS (August '10) fly-by-nursing1.giffamilybed1.gifhomebirth.jpg, and our furry kids dog2.gifGuiney Pig, dog2.gifPo the POlice, and cat.gifMrs. Puff. Loving WAHM life in the Mortgage Bizz with DP.

#36 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 03:13 PM

This happened to my friend a week before her due date. They thought the baby was (gasp!) 8 pounds and scheduled her for an induction but she went into labor the night before. 6 lbs, 12 oz.

She's pregnant again and told me at her 12 week appointment that the doctor went ahead and scheduled her for an induction at 39 weeks because she'd had such a quick (8 hour) labor last time and lived so far (15 minutes) from the hospital.

Sometimes I HONESTLY cannot believe these stories are true! But, alas, they are.

We think greenearth.gif  Gentle mama to 3 amazing kiddos. Rainbow.gif Recovering from religion. heartbeat.gif

LIFEschooling. upsidedown.gif Extended NAKing. winner.jpg Graduated cloth diaperer. cd.gif

#37 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The problem is... shoulder dystocia is *much* more likely if a woman is pushing on her back... the epidural rate is like 85% in this country and so chances are you have an epidural which keeps you from moving in ways that'll help your babe out. So, I guess statistically (because of these other factors) most women don't manage to push out bigger babies. Sad, but true. Such a flawed system. That said, I have a friend who has TINY hips who managed to push out a 10 lb baby. Was she on her back? Of course not. *sigh*

Jenna ~ mommy to Sophia Elise idea.gif  (1/06), Oliver Matthew  blahblah.gif (7/07) and Avery Michael fly-by-nursing1.gif(3/10)

dizzy.gif Wading slowly and nervously into this homeschooling thing.

#38 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 04:48 PM

Had to jump in with my favorite... I know a woman who had a fast labor with her first right at 40 wks. Only 3 hours so she "barely" made it to the hospital in time since she waited for the magical 5 min apart, 1 min long for 1 hour cx. By the time she got there she didn't get to have an epidural. (as if THAT is what birth is all about) This time her OB scheduled her for an induction at 38 wks so that she would be sure to be at the hospital for the birth. SLAYS me.

The other end of the spectrum is the natural birthing moms who lament not having a long enough labor to get in their birth tubs. LOL!

Fwiw, I did look at this woman and flat out say - clearly you didn't need the doc. I would just stay home and hire a mw if you think you need someone to "help". She looked at me like I had 7 heads...

Momma to ds bikenew.gif6/02 (med free hospital), dd pinktongue.gif10/04 hb, ds diaper.gif6/08 hb, and ds babyboy.gif hb 1/12/11
#39 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Im mostly lurking on these boards.

I LOVE reading the stories about homebirth, VBAC's and unmedicated L&D's.

I too read too many birth stories in which everything went normal, UNTIL they started pit to speed it up (who was in a hurry?), and/or put in the epidural, etc.

One intervention always leads to another.

I had a 9 lbs baby at 42 weeks. Unmedicated. yes, I had a midwife.

C/s bring in cash. Simple. At a 1 in 3 c/s rate, there has to be an important reason, right; money!
Give the epi too soon--or too late so you're completley numb when you have to push--intervene with a natural process by using Pit, give a woman a deadline and refuse all liquids and foods and have her stay flat on her back, then it only makes sense you end up in an OR.
Its better to bill an epidural, Pit, c/s and prolonged hospital stay then to bill a natural birth. :
#40 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 05:18 PM

This really breaks my heart. And to think that "we" give away our choices willingly, most of the time.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#41 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 06:15 PM

How does she feel about the scheduled c-section with such a normal size baby? Does she see how wrong Dr was?

Janel ~ wife and mother of 4, L&D RN, midwifery student
#42 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

mommyminer - what's sad is, she doesn't. She seems very satisfied with the whole experience and totally trusting that doc did the right thing. She's just an acquaintance, so I haven't really said anything. And since everyone knows how pro-homebirth I am, they don't really ask my opinion
#43 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLM99 View Post
Update from original poster - mom decided to schedule a c-section 2 weeks before her due date because doctor had convinced her baby was going to be too big. Baby weighed in at 7 lbs. 5 oz.
Man that is so infuriating! Three of my four babies were bigger than that. My last (I tend to carry a lot of water making my babies seem larger) my midwife thought was going to be 9+ pounds. I was overdue and she still didn't bat an eyelash about my ability to birth a large baby. He was 8 pounds 2 ounces btw.
#44 of 60 Old 04-09-2008, 11:46 PM

I hate how OBs think they know exactly how big the baby is!! They act as if they KNOW when it is a wild guess (at best). My cousin was induced THREE weeks early because "the baby has stopped growing and they want him out NOW". Give me a break! So he was born at 5.5 lbs and a month later he is just over 6.5 lbs. Soooo tiny and having problems nursing (shocking). How would they have any idea that he "stopped growing"? 5.5 lbs 3 weeks before edd is normal!

Sorry for the tangent, I just went to see my cousin today and I am still mad about it!
#45 of 60 Old 04-10-2008, 12:10 AM

Ugh, all these new responses make me SO glad I'm choosing homebirth this time! You couldn't PAY me to deal with this crap in a hospital!

It both infuriates and depresses me that so many women just willingly accept this BS as gospel because it's coming from a doctor's mouth. Don't ANY of them think, "hey, this seems a little odd?" It just makes my heart hurt that nobody seems to think for themselves at all anymore!
#46 of 60 Old 04-10-2008, 01:07 AM

How about passing along the link to this book:

Obstetric Myths Versus Research Realities: A Guide to the Medical Literature (Paperback)

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/KRISTI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-12.jpg[/IMG]

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#47 of 60 Old 04-10-2008, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treeof3 View Post

The other end of the spectrum is the natural birthing moms who lament not having a long enough labor to get in their birth tubs. LOL!
That's me!

"It should be a rule in all prophylactic work that no harm should ever be unnecessarily inflicted on a healthy person (Sir Graham Wilson, The Hazards of Immunization, 1967)."
#48 of 60 Old 04-10-2008, 02:36 AM

That's sad.

Not all those who wander are lost 
#49 of 60 Old 04-10-2008, 10:26 AM

My mom told me last weekend that when she had me (20 yrs ago) that she went for a regular appointment at noon 12 days past her due date and they said her cervix was still high & tight. Back then they didn't worry so much, and told her to go home and relax it would be at least another week. I was born at 11:45 that night. (11hrs 45min later) Naturally, vaginally, with no tears or medication. (I was her first and she says it wasn't even that incredibly painful. I was 8lbs 1oz.) I'm due w/ #1 in Oct & I'm praying that I have the same luck!

I'm so sorry for your friend! She needs to do some research.
#50 of 60 Old 04-13-2008, 06:15 PM

Stories like this really get to me.

I hate when things like this happen and the mother is totally oblivious to how she was just mutilated and endangered both hers and her child's life for absolutely nothing. Many people have that tendency to look back and think it was all ok. They are then the people who tell their daughters that giving birth without an epidural is just crazy or that a c-section is no big deal.

Medicine is an institution and an institution, by definition, is concerned with preserving itself and designed to create problems that only it can solve. Doctors are not superior beings with some information the average person cannot grasp. Blindly listening what a doctor says is just as ridiculous as trusting a random mechanic to tell you what work as to be done on your car when he knows he will get to perform it. It just does not make any sense.

I have been thinking about the kind of training OBs get in medical school and am wondering why we are not pushing for more change there. If students were forced to learn about natural birth and other stuff like that, they might not become such patriarchal, condescending jerks.

Single mom to E (2004) and D (2010)
#51 of 60 Old 04-13-2008, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by soso-lynn View Post

Medicine is an institution and an institution, by definition, is concerned with preserving itself and designed to create problems that only it can solve. Doctors are not superior beings with some information the average person cannot grasp. Blindly listening what a doctor says is just as ridiculous as trusting a random mechanic to tell you what work as to be done on your car when he knows he will get to perform it. It just does not make any sense.
Good analogy! It's not much of a stretch to change the white coat to a blue work shirt...you still have the customer nodding blindly while they say, "Yeah, your flange-gripper was blown, so that had to be replaced, and oh, I also tightened and greased your alpha-sliders, and it's a good thing I did, because they were about to break and that would have had me replacing your entire clincher-board. Here's a bill for $8,570."
#52 of 60 Old 04-15-2008, 01:10 PM

Quote:
I wish doctors would have to sign contracts guaranteeing that the baby is over 4500 grams or they don't get paid for the c-section. Bet you the c-section rate would drop by at least 10% from that alone. Bet more moms would realize just how they'd been lied to, too.
#53 of 60 Old 04-15-2008, 02:56 PM

Score one for the docs and birth as a business. I hope that someday, like some mamas on here, they will realize what has happened and "see the light" so to speak.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#54 of 60 Old 04-15-2008, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
I wish doctors would have to sign contracts guaranteeing that the baby is over 4500 grams or they don't get paid for the c-section. Bet you the c-section rate would drop by at least 10% from that alone. Bet more moms would realize just how they'd been lied to, too.
Yep!
#55 of 60 Old 04-15-2008, 03:53 PM

It's funny, they make us sign consent forms, but I am sure they would refuse to sing anything themselves.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#56 of 60 Old 04-17-2008, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidzaplenty View Post
It's funny, they make us sign consent forms, but I am sure they would refuse to sing anything themselves.
Of course! Like the "bad-mommy" forms you have to sign to refuse vit k, and vaccines, where you take full responsibility for any negative outcome. Would the same doctor requiring you to sign that sign him/herself a form taking responsibility for and damage caused by treatment? No.
#57 of 60 Old 04-18-2008, 12:56 AM

I have to jump in and agree with everyone about pretty much everything that's been said. The really sad thing to me is when I know midwives (hospital-based, though even one hb mw whom I hired for about a week had a similar attitude about big babies) who act the same way! My last son was "big", according to my mw. At about 37 weeks she thought he was already 8 lbs! She wanted me to have an ultrasound to get him measured but I put her off as long as I could. I was afraid they would "risk me out" of their practice if I didn't get the u/s. I finally had it after 38 weeks. He measured something like 8#5oz or so. He was 8 1/2 lbs at birth, 24 hours later. I went into labor on my own and delivered him without a problem, but even my midwife threatened me with pitocin or c/s when I "stalled" at 5-6 cm for 2 whole hours! Gasp!

I do have to point out that, in my humble opinion, the most important thing about the original topic is that the mother has a positive view of her experience. If she doesn't have any emotional trauma associated with the birth and the baby is doing okay, I'd say she dodged a bullet. No need to create stress in her life by showing her why she ought to feel betrayed or violated by an over-zealous ob. I'm sure it'll be a few months or years before she even gets pregnant again. That would be a better time to talk about how things could be different this time around, if you ask me.
#58 of 60 Old 04-18-2008, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Yet another mom-to-be I know was induced two weeks before her due date because baby "was going to be too big." Mom agreed because she "didn't want a c-section." Mom was induced, 12 hours later still hadn't felt much, so they upped the pitocin, mom started feeling contractions, begged for an epidural. Hours later, baby still wasn't descending. Doctor said baby's not coming out, c-section. He couldn't get the baby out of the incision, so they apparently had to suction him out (I haven't even heard that this could happen...). Baby was all bruised up and (drumroll please!) 7.5 lbs.

I'm getting less mad and more and more just sad every time I hear one of these.
#59 of 60 Old 04-18-2008, 05:27 PM

Oh geez! This stuff makes me crazy! It's SO against logic and against everything about a healthy pregnancy and birth. I have a friend who was just induced 10 days EARLY because her doctor told her it would be too big to deliver naturally. She's a young, fit woman with a completely normal pregnancy too. All I can say is I am so so grateful I have been able to be very informed in my pregnancy decisions and have not had to deal with things like that.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
#60 of 60 Old 04-18-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
He couldn't get the baby out of the incision, so they apparently had to suction him out (I haven't even heard that this could happen...). Baby was all bruised up and (drumroll please!) 7.5 lbs.
As a former L&D nurse I was SHOCKED at the number of vacuum extractions done during a C-section. Dr.'s tend to try to cut small incisions and then try to vacuum extract the baby out...but then also end up just ripping the skin, muscle, fascia, and uterus too when they finally realize they need more room to get those "HUGE" 7-8lb babies out.....it SICKENED me to see the trauma on a mother's body, and gives me nightmares to think about my poor uterus being ripped like a piece of meat during my C-section (that was 100% medically necessary AND a result of an induction).
Alicia

Get "101 Tips That Burn Belly Fat Daily
    For  Free thumb.gif , Visit Here 

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page