Need info on High Altitude unassisted home births - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-21-2002, 03:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello! I love these boards! Where else can I find such inspiration and support to have my third child at home with my husband? I just read Joyberryjoy's post and it convinced me that this is what is right for me. My mission now is to become educated. So, there is only one midwife who will come to this altitude to be present at births. I need to find out if this puts us at a higher risk for complications? We live at about 9,500feet. Anyone out there have any experience, stories to share, advice to give? Those of you out there who have had unassisted births, what info would you recomend looking into. thanks to eveyone who supports this and says "you go girl" instead of what if and are you sure?
#2 of 5 Old 03-21-2002, 04:10 PM

I would think if you are acclimated, there should be no problem, but I honestly don't know. Have you tried posting the question at the yahoogroups UC list CBirth?
#3 of 5 Old 03-21-2002, 06:55 PM - Thread Starter

I haven't. Is there a specific web site for that? thanks for your support. I have heard that many of the babies that are born here come out very purple and sometimes need oxygen. My son was born in the birth clinic here and they gave him oxygen. I don't know if they did that out of "routine" or necessity. It does worry me a bit allthough I am sure many miner's wives had babies up here without tanked oxygen.
#4 of 5 Old 03-22-2002, 01:17 AM

Here it the link to CBirth:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/cbirth/

And here is a medical article on the effects of high altitude on birth:

http://www.emedicine.com/ped/topic2783.htm
#5 of 5 Old 03-27-2002, 04:10 AM

just another "you can do it!!" our freebirth was our high point as a family. as for high altitude, hopefully sweetwater's links helped. I am totally delighted to see so much freebirth discussion going on here on these boards!!
btw, another great web site:
www.freestone.org
it's jeannine parvati baker's web site. she may have an answer for your question. she's pretty good about answering emails too!
good luck and we're here for you!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page