Midwife missed last birth, any suggestions this time? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-22-2002, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am in a quandery about what to do. I am currently 20 wks. pregnant. I have had 2 homebirths (3 in hospital birth center), and am trying to make plans for this birth. My births have gotten faster and faster - had my fist in 4 hours and my last one was 50 min, start to finish. The only midwife in the area lives almost an hour away - so obviously she missed the last delivery. It was fine in the end. However, I am hesitant to make plans to have a delivery knowing most likely I will be on my own. I have hemmorhaged twice (after 1st and 4th) and that is really my bigger concern. So - any ideas?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2002, 05:18 AM

wow. sounds like you basically just need to prepare to go it alone. i'd get gregory white's "emergency childbirth" for a totally reassuring, quick access medical guide. we had it at our freebirth in may though didn't need it in an emergency type way. also maybe stock up on herbs like shephard's purse and/or motherwort. if you don't have it, susun weed's "herbal for the childbearing year" is awesome and full of lots of practical advice.

in dr. whites book, he says in a study, none of the women who hemoraged (sp?) diedin under 2 hours. this reasured me, hope it does you too!! also try peeing so that your uterus can clamp down better. i'm sure you will do great being such an old pro and all!!

not sure what you meant by you are hesitant to make plans....seems like the baby and your body will make any plan making obselete. maybe try talking to the baby so that it knows you'd like a slower birth? never hurts to try. they are definitely more "there" than most people give them credit for. anyway good luck. sounds like you just have the job of sorting through feelings and practical measures...the work of any pregnancy!!
Old 03-27-2002, 05:30 PM

My advice is to study up on prevention (pre-birth) and how to diagnose and what to do if it actually happens. What about your 1st and 4th pregnancies and labors might have contributed to your risk of hemorrhage? In any case, if you call the midwife as soon as your labor starts, she should be able to get there in time to deal with postpartum complications.
Old 03-30-2002, 12:08 AM

I agree with the other ladies here.... call her at the first hint of a labor pain, and even if you catch the babe yourself, she will be there in time in the event of complications. Also, ask your midwife if she'll leave Shepherd's Purse tincture if you DO hemmorrage and she's not there yet; or maybe a syringe and vial of Pitocin as a total safeguard. (Easy to give... straight into the muscle and plunge!) That way, you'll have your bases covered. Gregory White's book is excellent; I'd highly recommend it just to ease your mind. Positive visualization never hurts, either!!
Old 03-31-2002, 05:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies. Actually, I did call with the first contractions the last time. Unfortunately, there aren't any midwives closer to me.

I don't think I would be so into the "natural induction" type of thing. Really, my husband is more the one who is freaked than me. I know I'll be fine. Both times I hemorrhaged, it wasn't immediately, but more than an hour after birth. I'm an L&D nurse, so getting the pit and giving the injection in a worse case scenario wouldn't be a problem. Several of the nurses I work with have offered to come over, but I'm worried how they would handle things, as most aren't used to a natural, hands off labor.

As for what might have caused the previous pp hemorrhage, I think with my 4th, I just wasn't in tip-top shape as I had back to back pregnancies. With the first, I haven't a clue. I am guzzling a pregnancy herbal combo, recipe courtesy of Aviva Jill Romm's Natural Pregnancy book, with rasp. leaf, nettle and other goodies. I'm really hoping that will help.

And just for the record - this is #6.
Old 04-01-2002, 03:43 AM

maybe allowing one carefully-chosen nurse would do her some good!!
she could help your husband feel safe, and she could learn something, too!!

DIYer mama to DD 11/00 and DS 6/05- both intact, naturally!
...missing Mothering Magazine...

User Tag List