Celebrity Homebirthers! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-11-2004, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Regarding Prince's late baby...I think it was some kind of severe congenital defect or a genetic problem (is there a difference there?). Very very sad.

Sadder, he and the baby's mom divorced, and he's married to someone else now. I guess sometimes things don't last after a tragedy.

Pamela Anderson...I was going to say the same things as keysmama did. She was interviewed on the set by Oprah and talked a whole bunch about nursing her first, and so on.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-12-2004, 01:17 AM

I recall that Cybill Shepherd fought to have her twins naturally. She refused to be railroaded into a Caesarean Section. She changed doctors several times before she fought a doctor willing to give her the chance to deliver them naturally.

Her twins, Zachary and Arielle, are about fifteen now.
Old 05-12-2004, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six
Are we sure about this one? I ask b/c we have a perinatologist at work that did his fellowship at UCLA Med. center and he mentioned that he took care of her. He says she is the nicest woman in Hollywood, that was how the subject came up. I'll decline to print some of those he claims were *not* the "nicest women in Hollywood" :LOL . I believe she had twins and a c/sec. Maybe it was an earlier birth?
Meryl Streep has had four children, one at a time.

I do not know if she had them at home, however.
Old 05-15-2004, 01:15 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
O.K., O.K., -

I just heard on the radio news that Gwenyth Paltrow had her baby girl in London - nine pounds some odd ounces, and named her, "Apple". (?)

I heard nothing about a homebirth.

Be careful of what you read in those magazines.

I hope what I heard is correct and accurate....perhaps I should be careful of what I hear on network news- ?

Anyone one else hear anything different?

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 05-15-2004, 01:45 PM

At the same time, there is nothing about a hospital, either.

9lbs 11oz! Wow. What an awesomely big baby (I'm a fan of big'uns LOL).

Oh, just found word of a hospital in a quote from the dad, thanking the hospital that looked over them. Oh well, with a big baby, long labor (two articles mention that), and ALL that media attention, that's a lot of pressure. Plus it was in London, which, according to the previous articles I read was not what she had planned on. Previously mentioned birth tub was in California!

No matter what, congrats to Gwyneth. Her happily growing body has actually been an inspiration to me during my pregnancy; she was so happy to be pregnant, to be gaining however much weight she gained, and so on. I enjoyed watching her pregnancy.
Old 05-24-2004, 12:32 PM

Hi all,

OK - i saw on one of the lists that Elly from the For Better or Worse cartoon strip had a homebirth....is that true?? We swear that my mother writes it b/c everything in the strip is about a 6 month delay from our family.

Might have to do a google search on that one!
Old 05-24-2004, 12:35 PM

I remember reading that the writer wanted Elly to have a planned homebirth but it was too contraversial so they cooked up a big snow storm and were trapped in the house when Elly went into labor. April was born at home.

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
Old 05-24-2004, 05:03 PM

"The Oscar-winning actress and her rocker husband Chris Martin are the proud parents of the baby - weighing a hefty nine pounds and eleven ounces - born in a London hospital on Friday after a "long labor". "

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000569/news

tabitha

Hi, I'm Tabitha. I'm a homeschooling mother of four: ds (11) dd (9) ds (7) ds (5) And I'm expecting a fifth in 2014! Find me at http://www.omelay.blogspot.com
Old 05-24-2004, 07:50 PM

I read in one mag that Gwyneth had a waterbirth -- didn't say whether it was med or unmed (but here, hospitals don't allow med waterbirths, no???). I also read like 2 weeks ago that they were planning to birth at a birthing center near their home in London. Of course, I don't know if that means FSBC and she transferred or the article was referring to a hospital BC.
Old 05-31-2004, 11:26 PM

I recall that the author Joyce Maynard had her three children at home in New Hampshire. She is a very interesting person. She bought her first home in New Hampshire with the money she earned from her first book, Looking Back, and was a freshman at Yale when Bill and Hilary were law students. She married a man who was in construction (drywall?) and her three children were born in that home.

I identified strongly with her when she wrote her syndicated column. She had a girl and then two boys, each one was a year older than my own children, so I eagerly read her stories.

She had an affair before her marriage with a reclusive author, the one who wrote, I think, Catcher in the Rye. She divorced her husband, and sold the love letters from her affair with this person to finance her children's college education.

Anyway, she had her three children at home. She said in one article that after a lifetime of being picked last for team sports, she finally found the one "sport" at which she was good.

Or words to that effect.

I think she lives in California now and has a newletter that I once subscribed to.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 06-03-2004, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I read about Cindy Crawford having a homebirth (i think it was her) years ago and basically she set up a whole "hospital" within her home.

maybe it wasn't her, but that doesn't matter, i guess my point is that celebrities have different reasons for wanting to stay out of hospitals than i do.

if it is your first baby (like gwyneth) and your reason for staying at home is privacy and you hit transition and you start to freak you might just go to the hospital because you really are afraid and weren't that committed to homebirth to begin with...

just a thought....
Old 06-04-2004, 11:12 AM

I don't think Cindy Crawford is the one you are thinking about. I still have the Redbook magazine where she talks about her first homebirth and it was pretty good. She started out pretty medical minded(as alot of women do) and as her pregnancy progressed and she researched more she became convinced that homebirth was the route for her.

I actually think that you are thinking of Kelly ******* who had a homebirth with her last baby. She had a doctor there and everything and her birth story sounded pretty managed to me. I read it in another magazine. Can you tell I like to read magazines?

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 06-04-2004, 01:01 PM

The one question that has always had me wondering...for these celebs who have a lot of $...I imagine that many of them chose homebirth for privacy...couldn't they get an epi (or other intervention) at home...unlike the way the rest of us homebirth?????? :
How do we know they are homebirthing pure and simple?

Full Time Student Mama with a teenager blahblah.gif  a cool tween Peace.gif a rockin kid jammin.gif a pretty fairy  hearts.gifand a non-stop running machine joy.gif and still shouting about lactivist.gif  intactivist.gif  delayedvax.gif and signcirc1.gif
Old 06-04-2004, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanpope
The one question that has always had me wondering...for these celebs who have a lot of $...I imagine that many of them chose homebirth for privacy...couldn't they get an epi (or other intervention) at home...unlike the way the rest of us homebirth?????? :
How do we know they are homebirthing pure and simple?
I guess we don't know for sure, but it is really, really rare for someone to agree to give an epidural at home. I read that Homefirst in Chicago will do it, but that is it. I certainly wouldn't be comfortable with it.

Which reminds me of another 'celebrity' homebirther. The Queen of England. Apparently Princess Diana was the first royal to give birth in the hospital and it was considered a 'common' thing to do.
Old 06-04-2004, 05:03 PM

I'm so glad I found this thread

I'm a homebirthing mama and shameless celebrity gossip hound so thanks for expanding my mental rolodex of celebrity homebirthers!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:38 PM

I remember reading a quote from Cindy Crawford about how she knew she could handle anything in her life because she had birthed at home and learned she was strong. Cindy's sister is a writer---I've even seen her articles in Mothering.

I have retired from administration work, so if you have a question about anything MDC-related, please contact Cynthia Mosher. Thanks!

Old 06-05-2004, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Which reminds me of another 'celebrity' homebirther. The Queen of England. Apparently Princess Diana was the first royal to give birth in the hospital and it was considered a 'common' thing to do.
Yes, that is true. Prince Charles, Princess Anne, and Prince Andrew were born in the palace.

Quote:
...couldn't they get an epi (or some other intervention) at home...How do we know they are homebirthing pure and simple?
However, unlike all of us common peasants, the Queen had them in the palace by a "Caesar" as they say in England. I guess the Royalty can get anything they still want out of the English people.

I know this is true. I recall reading and hearing this when Princess Diane was pregnant with Prince William and Prince Harold. I was pregnant at the same time, planning for my second and third homebirths.

Old 06-15-2004, 01:46 PM

This week in People magazine Geena Davis wrote to correct what had been printed about the birth of her twins.

"I thought i would write to correct some things you recently reported about me. First, I did not have a C-section; delivering my twins without one is something about which I am rather immodestly proud."

she goes on to scold them for saying her babies were early due to her age and that they had to be incubated for 2 weeks. te hee hee!

There's also a great quote from Kate Hudson regarding an award she received. "It's strange getting this, because my mind is on my baby and my breasts which are about to unload any second"

Yay for celebrities breastfeeding and birthing naturally!

Anna Banana ~5 year old daughter ~3 year old son one angel baby and expecting July 2010
Old 06-15-2004, 02:43 PM

I read a lovely article, (I think in Oprah's magazine), by Thandie Newton about her homebirth.

Pamela Anderson writes great articles in Jane (it's actually the only reason I read Jane)about natural mothering and animal rights. I think she's beautiful.

I read somewhere that Cindy Crawford's husband thought at first that she wanted a homebirth to save money!

I am surprised at Elizabeth Hurley, as I read that she fought to keep her son intact, in spite of the baby's father.

wave.gif
Old 12-04-2004, 12:00 PM

Laura Dern( Juarassic Park) and her partner Ben Harper had their newest baby, a girl, at home on November 28. They have an older child who I am guessing was also born at home.

Sara
I love my girlsMadaline(9), Mary-Grace(7), Georgia(3), & Evelyn(1)
Old 12-04-2004, 03:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I've always loved Laura Dern & Ben Harper for a reason!
Old 12-14-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyeilis
Someone mentioned Carrie Anne-Moss; she had her first baby last summer, but it seems has been VERY quiet about everything involved with baby, even down to whether it's a boy or girl. Simple Googling didn't tell me anything.
It's a boy! I know this because I saw a picture of her nursing him while walking down the street (mama style!) and he was a nice big almost 2 year old it looked like.

Spark and her four firecrackers.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:30 AM

I do not know if anyone mentioned Pat Boone's grandchild...no, not Debbie Boone (yawn), but one of her sisters delivered at home.

I know because she was delivered by MY midwife!

My midwife said that Pat Boone was amazed at how awake and calm the newborn baby was after being born at home. He asked if this was normal for homeborn babies, and my midwife said, "Yes."

He had seen Debbie's babies born in the hospital (yawn) so he could make the comparison. Her birth stories were published ad nauseum in LHJ, McCall's, Parents, People, Us, and the like.

Old 02-09-2005, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spark
It's a boy! I know this because I saw a picture of her nursing him while walking down the street (mama style!) and he was a nice big almost 2 year old it looked like.
I saw this too in STAR or US. Was a great pic of her walking and nursing!
Old 02-09-2005, 09:06 PM

Did a search of this thread and didn't get anything about Patricia Arquette. Saw an interview with her not too long ago on The View and Elisabeth Hasselbeck (the young, pregnant one) asked her about her homebirth of her second child. Patricia said she thinks maybe she was a little crazy to choose a homebirth because labor hurt a lot, but that with her first child, she felt like she missed out on something. She said she wanted to experience birth fully and that it was a great experience. I like her.

~claudia
Old 02-10-2005, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firstlovesnbaby
I saw this too in STAR or US. Was a great pic of her walking and nursing!

http://community.webshots.com/photo/...80982424hJkyuC

there's the pic if anyone's interested.

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09
Old 02-10-2005, 01:04 PM

That is a great pic, too! Thanks for posting the link
Old 02-26-2005, 09:15 PM

I agree that its a great pic but unfortunatly the caption says "NOT NORMAL." :
Old 02-27-2005, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBerryParker

ugh I didn't even notice that! How awful.

Michelle

Expecting #9.  Always busy hsing.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBerryParker
yeah, that was the whole reason the picture was put on line by a poster on another baord. she was outraged & we all wronte the magazine lovely letters. it was a while ago, but i don't remember any of us getting replies ... shocker. @@

Jenn, wife to John
Mama to Kayleigh (6), Ethan (4), Norah (1), & Charlotte coming 11.09

User Tag List