Celebrity Homebirthers! - Page 7 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#181 of 495 Old 04-13-2006, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This AP article was the top entertainment story on Yahoo today, and was picked up by 142 newspapers and TV stations around the world.

http://entertainment.tv.yahoo.com/en...488406000.html

There are some great comments at the end of the article from Mindy Goorchenko, the woman who produced the wonderful DVD "Psalm and Zoya: The Unassisted Homebirth of Our Twins" (which they mention in the article!).
Laura
#182 of 495 Old 04-14-2006, 12:31 AM
Banned

Can't wait to read it!
#183 of 495 Old 04-14-2006, 02:27 AM

I think that article does help clear up some of the rumors flying about the "silent birth" they at least state more of what they mean. Intersting to me that they think coming from a noisy room to the silence outside would be more comforting than hearing the familiar and reassuring voice of the mother. And that noise has more of a negative affect on baby and mother than drugs do. What the H***! Wow.

Lisa~Was Aspiring Midwife~Now-AAMI Midwifery Student #2020~Mama to Zackery 3/29/96, Drake 9/22/01, and Selina 10/26/03...and here was the link to my new blog
#184 of 495 Old 04-14-2006, 03:04 PM

A quote from the article:

Still, said Goorchenko, a mother of four, she wanted privacy during her deliveries and preferred silence following the births.

"You don't need loud, blasting noises while mother and child are bonding."

While most would agree a peaceful birth is the ideal, I would not want to give any positive press to the Scientology "method" of birth, since they actively discourage mother and child bonding after birth, which IMHO, is far more important than what happens (i.e. whether I scream or not) during labor.
#185 of 495 Old 04-19-2006, 05:24 PM

Looks like Katie Holmes opted for a hospital birth with an epidural - http://et.tv.yahoo.com/newslink/14483/

I'll be curious to see if OK! Magazine will include my comments in the article about Katie. The new issue should be on the stands in the next day or two.
Laura
#186 of 495 Old 04-19-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
"Everything is fine and Katie can relax now," a source tells the magazine, adding that the power couple's new daughter has "lots and lots of dark hair and big, blue eyes ... she's going to be a beautiful baby."

LOL, she can relax now, did any of you find the first few weeks home after having your first baby relaxing? I didn't, I was questioning every decision I made.
#187 of 495 Old 04-21-2006, 11:44 AM

I understand that the celebrities listed in this thread gave homebirths, and I would like to understand better which celebrities have given birth with Midwives or Doulas.

I am doing research specifically to Midwives and would like to know what celebrities have gone that route.

thank you so much for any help!

Sincerely,
Ross Hendrickson
ross@videoartsstudios.com
#188 of 495 Old 04-21-2006, 08:31 PM

The new issue of OK! Magazine came out today, and I was pleased to see that they included my comments in the article about Katie and Tom. Overall I thought the writer summed up my thoughts pretty well (of course I said much more than what they printed - told him about the dangers of hospital birth, safety of homebirth, etc. but wasn't really expecting him to print that since the article wasn't about homebirth). But he spelled my name right and also mentioned my book (Unassisted Childbirth) so that was nice! And he referred to me as "Respected natural birth advocate Laura Shanley." He messed up on how many children I have, but that's OK.

The magazine is sold at the check-out stands in most grocery stores. This issue has Jennifer Aniston on the cover - "Jen's Baby Heartbreak - The inside story of her anguish, as Brad and Ange have the baby that should have been hers." I wouldn't recommend buying it, but the article is short so you can probably read it as you're waiting in line (page 16).
Laura
#189 of 495 Old 04-21-2006, 09:42 PM

Cindy Crawford DID breastfeed. We interviewed her for an upcoming documentary and she had great experiences breastfeeding. She is a great advocate for home birth and breatfeeding.
#190 of 495 Old 04-21-2006, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annik
Also, US Mag has had little tidbits about Jennifer Connelly breastfeeding her son (and a photo of him in a sling or Baby Bjorn - can't remember).
Yes, ages ago I saw an interview with her husband (I forget his name but he was in Knight's Tale and Master and Comander), and he was talking about how Jen was doing a film and he was taking care of the baby (no nanny, yeah!) in Jen's trailer during the day while she worked because both he and the baby needed to be near Jen's brests!!!
#191 of 495 Old 04-21-2006, 10:23 PM

Just wanted to add that TONY award winning actor Bill Irwin (Mr. Noodle from Elmo) is married to a homebirth midwife.
#192 of 495 Old 04-21-2006, 11:54 PM

Mr. Noodle?! Wow, that's crazy.
#193 of 495 Old 04-22-2006, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEINGBORN
Cindy Crawford DID breastfeed. We interviewed her for an upcoming documentary and she had great experiences breastfeeding. She is a great advocate for home birth and breatfeeding.
That's great to hear! I'd be curious to hear more about your documentary if you feel like sharing.
Laura
#194 of 495 Old 05-30-2006, 04:35 AM

Shoot! I was hoping that Angelina would birth at home, or a homelike setting. She had Baby Shiloh at a Namibian hospital, but it sounds like the Namibian government rallied around the couple to keep their privacy.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060529/...ple_jolie_pitt

Gwen Stefani and hubby Gavin Rossdale went straight for the C/S
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/12994702/from/RSS/

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#195 of 495 Old 05-30-2006, 06:47 AM

they retracted that comment, gwen stefani may not have had a c/s - though even if she did, who knows the reason...

http://entertainment.msn.com/music/a...24288&GT1=7703
#196 of 495 Old 05-30-2006, 06:57 AM

Ahh Ok thanks for the correction

Karin, Wife to Dear Sweet English Husband~Soon to be Legally American. Mom to Zach~13, Lily~9, Alex~2, and Izzy or Zeke arriving July 2010! Living a life full of LOVE!
#197 of 495 Old 05-30-2006, 08:32 AM

In Touch Weekly has reported that Angelina had a "scheduled" c/s for a minor complication. What a bummer.

http://www.perezhilton.com/topics/br...y_20060528.php
#198 of 495 Old 05-30-2006, 09:45 AM

I was going to post this morning as well. I have read several places that Gwen did have a cesarean. Everyone says she entered the hospital early in the morning in full make up smiling - who does that in labor?

It makes me sad. I was really hoping both of these women would have natural births. What must young girls think of birth? Brittney, Gwyneth, Madonna, Gwen & Angelina all having cesareans. Sadly I feel your average 12-16 year old will see this as normal, preferable even

My DH said "How did Angelina go from homebirth to cesarean with no labor?"
We had each seen that she wanted a quiet homebirth for her baby.

My guess for the mild complication would be posterior presentation, I know two women irl that have had planned cesareans because of PP Of course it is likely we will never know.

The state of birth in this country is sickening

Keri

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#199 of 495 Old 05-30-2006, 12:10 PM

Ya know...I've wondered about these celebrities having elective C/S lately and I wonder one thing...
It is (TOO) common for Drs to do C/S if the mom has HSV (herpes) so that the baby doesn't have problems IF mom has an outbreak. Now, the research out there says this is just stupid...that a mom can have a vaginal birth EVEN WITH an outbreak as long as it's not her first outbreak...ie most babies with problems are from moms with a first time outbreak...
Anyways...bottom line I'm getting at is this: Maybe these celebrities (some anyways) have herpes and don't want to announce that as their reason for C/S...and they don't want to 'risk' a vaginal birth...especially if it means a chance of baby having a problem (slim) and then the paparatzzi selling papers on MOM HAD HERPES!
Just a thought...
#200 of 495 Old 05-30-2006, 12:17 PM
Banned

Frankly, I think it's so they can get a tummy tuck at the same time. It's called a C-tuck. Sad.

I also read that Gwen Stefani had an elective c/s.
#201 of 495 Old 05-31-2006, 12:25 AM

The "minor complication" that led to Angelina's C-section was a breech presentation. Sigh.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2...902538000.html
#202 of 495 Old 05-31-2006, 12:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatKirkwood
Frankly, I think it's so they can get a tummy tuck at the same time. It's called a C-tuck. Sad.

I also read that Gwen Stefani had an elective c/s.
#203 of 495 Old 05-31-2006, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurashanley
The "minor complication" that led to Angelina's C-section was a breech presentation. Sigh.

http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/2...902538000.html
If it's so minor, why does it result in mom having major abdominal surgery?
#204 of 495 Old 05-31-2006, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by busybusymomma
If it's so minor, why does it result in mom having major abdominal surgery?
IKWYM!!
#205 of 495 Old 05-31-2006, 06:03 PM

I think that people/docs etc. forget that breech is not a complication. It's merely an alternate presentation.
#206 of 495 Old 06-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Banned

It's hard for me to read about celeb mom's who are out there saying they elected for a c/s for whatever stupid b.s. reason they have and then saying they just don't want to bf for another stupid b.s. reason. It pisses me off and makes me very sad. You'de think with all the money they have, the least they could do is hire someone to help them make smart, informed, and semi-intelligent choices. Urggg...
#207 of 495 Old 06-01-2006, 03:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly71
I think that people/docs etc. forget that breech is not a complication. It's merely an alternate presentation.
My midwife taught me the same thing way back whendd#2 was presenting breech.....

"Breech is not a complication. It is another variation of normal."
#208 of 495 Old 06-01-2006, 03:47 AM

Interesting comment Mrs Hos. A friend of ours has herpes as a result of her mom passing it to her during birth, but it was not her first outbreak. Interesting.

mv
#209 of 495 Old 06-03-2006, 09:34 PM

Joely Fisher recently had a homebirth with a midwife, she said it was an awesome experience. Rod Stewarts wife had a natural birth, it was a planned waterbirth but I dont know if they were in the water, but I believe they were in a hospital. Erykah Badu and, more recently, Laura Dern have had homebirths.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.
#210 of 495 Old 06-03-2006, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessasMilkMama
Joely Fisher recently had a homebirth with a midwife, she said it was an awesome experience. Rod Stewarts wife had a natural birth, it was a planned waterbirth but I dont know if they were in the water, but I believe they were in a hospital. Erykah Badu and, more recently, Laura Dern have had homebirths.

I just finished the whole thread and the ones I mentioned were already mentioned before by you knowledgeable ladies Sorry!

Jennifer Garner and Geri Halliwell and Lea Lachey (drews wife, drew being Nicks brother) are all on the apparently for no reason c section list, if I remember correctly.

~Shannon~ Proud Mama of 3 girls, ages 7,4, and 2.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page