BPIAB vs. La Bassine - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 12:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Looking for some personal recommendations between BPIAB and the La Bassine. Tomorrow I order, woo hoo! I've read through the birth pool sticky above, but there's not a lot of personal recs there.

I'm drawn towards the BPIAB because of the extra few inches of depth, and I like the idea of hubby being in the pool sitting behind me. But, then again, it sounds like most mamas are facing the sides of the pool (either floating or kneeling) most of the time, so maybe that won't be as important as I think it will? And, of course, La Bassine is half the cost of the BPIAB (looks like prices went up again!)

Also, if you recommend La Bassine, who would you recommend to order through for the West Coast (we're in Oregon)?

BTW- we're doing UC, so it will be just us there - no MW or anyone else to consider.

THANKS!

Tracey Mouse

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 02:14 PM

My preference is the BPIAB because of the handles.

But I birthed in the infamous fishy pool twice and did alright. For one of them I wished I had something/someone to hold on to but mentally couldn't get to a place to verbalize it. The other time I was closer to the footboard and held on to that.
#3 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 02:43 PM

I like the BPIAB a lot more except that I have had some trouble with durability of the home versions (not an issue if you are going to use it just once).

The placement of the handles on the La Bassine makes it hard to use them. The extra depth of the BPIAB is nice too. The seat has come handy a couple of times.

Are you close enough that you could go pick one up? I think that shipping was about $35 for me -- maybe driving to pick it up at Waterbirth International might negate some of the difference in cost.

If you use the liner and don't plan future kids, you could probably sell it used, too (which would be true for the La Bassine, but do they come with a liner or do you have to order that seperately?)

Stacia -- intrepid mama, midwife, and doula. Changing the world one 'zine at a time.
#4 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 04:33 PM - Thread Starter

It's about a 5 hour drive from here to portland, and the shipping on the BPIAB is only $15 - I can barely drive to the grocery store for that, LOL! No, the prices have gone up dramatically - the BPIAB is $185 before shipping now, and the La Bassine seems to be $95, but I don't know how much shipping would be on it. I also thought about selling it afterwards, but we do want more kids, so maybe I should hang on to whichever one I get.

Oh, decisions, decisions!

Tracey Mouse

Tracey R. Happy Helpmeet to Jeff, and Mama to Corey (ds, 22yo), Justin (ds, 20yo), Bekah (dd, 3yo), and Miah (Jeremiah, ds, 17mo), and baby Rachel, vasa previa survivor, 4 wks old.

#5 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 05:26 PM

Another option is that you could see about renting it out to other homebirth couples later on.
#6 of 12 Old 04-17-2008, 06:01 PM

Ground shipping at www.yourwaterbirth.com for the La Bassine is $25, so total $120. I've used both and find them to be about the same, but I use La Bassine because it's cheaper.
#7 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 07:26 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I bought the Sevylor one that's in the sticky. It is nearly the same dimensions as La Bassine (60" diameter, 22" deep). I found them on Amazon for $35. They are not a "birth pool" but they are sturdy (an adult can sit on it) and are made by a company that makes inflatable boats for activities like white water rafting. The sides are sturdy and the bottom is padded just like the Bassine and PBIAB. It is the same depth as La Bassine and only an inch shallower than BPIAB. My MW liked mine so much she wrote down the name to tell her other clients about it.

With all the cost recent increases for PBIAB and La Bassine I had thought about a fishy pool but was concerned with how sturdy it was. This pool is exactly what I needed and the price was great.

Haven't used it for labor yet... so I can't give any "in action" reviews.
#8 of 12 Old 04-18-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeyZoo View Post
I bought the Sevylor one that's in the sticky. It is nearly the same dimensions as La Bassine (60" diameter, 22" deep). I found them on Amazon for $35. They are not a "birth pool" but they are sturdy (an adult can sit on it) and are made by a company that makes inflatable boats for activities like white water rafting. The sides are sturdy and the bottom is padded just like the Bassine and PBIAB. It is the same depth as La Bassine and only an inch shallower than BPIAB.

With all the cost recent increases for PBIAB and La Bassine I had thought about a fishy pool but was concerned with how sturdy it was. This pool is exactly what I needed and the price was great.

Haven't used it for labor yet... so I can't give any "in action" reviews.
we bought this one also & just it! we will use it again when we have our 3rd & I rent it out for my doula clients too.

A doula who married a cop & became a mama to 3 boys: G 12/22/00, my rainbow baby B 2/2/07 and L 2/10/10 my CBA2V baby, waiting for my little caboose late February 2013 & always remembering my two angels 2006 & 2012.

#9 of 12 Old 04-19-2008, 02:15 AM

I bought the BPIAB from Waterbirth int. in Portland. I picked it up and talked to the lady that owns the company. She was very nice even when I told her that we are UP/UCing.

I have not used the pool for birth yet but we did our trial run last weekend. With an electric pump it only took 9 minutes to inflate! I am 5'9" and fluffy, it was very comfortable and roomy. I can float very easily and the sides are very strong. I was very impressed and can not wait for birth!
#10 of 12 Old 04-20-2008, 12:30 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about depth between the two unless you're a tall person. You really only want the water to cover your belly and not much more because once baby is born you need to be able to hold them out of the water (at least their face) and it's nice if your breasts are above water so you can breastfeed right away. I found that the La Bassine was plenty deep, we even had to bail out water to get it down from the max fill line because the water was too deep.

Happily married to my dh, mama to ds1 (01/2005), ds2 (07/2007)  and dd (07/2009).
#11 of 12 Old 04-20-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
FWIW, I wouldn't worry about depth between the two unless you're a tall person. You really only want the water to cover your belly and not much more because once baby is born you need to be able to hold them out of the water (at least their face) and it's nice if your breasts are above water so you can breastfeed right away. I found that the La Bassine was plenty deep, we even had to bail out water to get it down from the max fill line because the water was too deep.
Actually, we had some issues with the depth in the La Bassine. I birthed on my knees leaning over the side of the tub and had to be very careful to keep my hips down as the baby was coming so that he'd remain under the water when he was born. That's the only time I'd really wished for the extra few inches of depth -- we were fine as far as keeping the baby's head above water and breastfeeding, and I didn't want to stay in the water after the placenta came anyway cause, well... icky.

On the other hand, I would without a doubt buy the La Bassine again over the BPIAB. I didn't feel like the extra couple of inches was that big a deal compared to having vertical air chambers, which I really liked for stability and not having to worry about air leaks flooding the basement.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#12 of 12 Old 04-21-2008, 06:15 AM

I just purchased the La Bassine from yourwaterbirth, and I also live in Oregon. It arrived in three days and was about $130 total (I bought the liner because I might sell it). My mw has BPIAB that I could have used for free (only would have had to buy the liner), but I really needed a particular size to fit in my bedroom. Even the BPIAB mini was just a little too wide, because of its egg shape. The Bassine fits perfectly.

Amy

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page