What did you feed your midwives? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 05-26-2008, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hello - Im 37 weeks and having a home birth. I am wondering what kind of food to have on hand for the midwives. I'm not sure if I will be able to go shopping when I go into labor, so maybe I should have something that is non-perishable. Or should I order a pizza? LOL! Im totally clueless here ... need help! BTW (I have heard of people making soup - I am not that talented in the kitchen!)

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2008, 10:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I didn't have a home birth but at the birth center where I went my family made spaghetti and meastballs for everyone, including the midwife and nurse, while I labored. Good old comfort food and easy to make too.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:47 PM

Nothing - my midwives were there to feed me! (They made me miso soup in labor, and heated us up some soup we had in the freezer before they left.) We did have food available (including miso ) if they'd needed it, but they're not guests, it wasn't our job to feed them.
Old 05-26-2008, 10:50 PM

I think I'd made a fruit salad, but my midwife doesn't eat anything at births from what I can tell. I asked her what I should have around and she told me I didn't need to have anything, don't worry about it. She was at our house for a good 8 hours but she never ate anything.
Old 05-26-2008, 11:29 PM

(now I'm craving miso soup!! lol)

I would ask your midwife just in case she has specific diet requirements (ie vegetarian etc.)

I agree w/ the sentiment that it's not a Mama's job to fee her midwife (or anyone else during labor for that matter lol) BUT if something is made ahead of time, the midwife can get it herself. A fed person is a happy person....and I want my midwife to be happy and not in a hunger-fog. That and I think it's just a nice gesture. Honestly, it would really bother me if I had someone in my house for that long w/o making food available to them. lol

- Kim
Old 05-27-2008, 12:06 AM

My midwife said as long as the fridge is stocked that she would be able to find anything to eat. I'm thinking of having some chicken salad, we always have fruit on hand, maby some soup. Probably stuff that I have made up ahead of time for quick meals for the family.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
Old 05-27-2008, 12:13 AM

We had delicious organic vegan food delivered from these guys:

http://www.hungry-vegan.com/

My partner spread it all out on the table and told them to go to town, and they did.

Have you seen the updated user agreement yet?
Old 05-27-2008, 04:09 AM

Ask your midwife what kinds of food she prefers. If you have the ingredients for a sandwich, she can make herself one when the opportunity arises, or just have a few cans of soup or something available. I asked my last midwife what she liked to eat, and she told me she didn't care. "I'm an opportunivore," she told me. "I'll eat whatever is handy if I need to." LOL
Old 05-27-2008, 08:39 AM

My MW included it on my birthing kit list that I have to put together.

Enough food for laboring family and midwives. Mom could use
some food prepared in advance that is nourishing and easy to
digest such as chicken soup that will be ready for her to eat after
the birth, regardless of the time of day or night! Healthy snacks
such as fruit, eggs, cheeses (not American), whole wheat or rye or
other healthy bread, tea, honey, peanut butter without sugar,
raisins, nuts as examples. Depending on the time of day/night and
the length of the labor, the midwives may well need more than
simply snacks - meals with protein, sliced turkey, etc.

I would just ask what they want.

April, wife to Scott, mother to Lily (07/23/08) and furbaby Bella (6/21/04), and expecting baby #2 in February 2012. 

Old 05-27-2008, 09:13 AM

The only thing my midwife had on her list was tea. And I never prepared anything special for them. If they ate during any of my labors I wasn't aware...but we always have plenty of food around, I'm sure they'd help themselves if they were hungry and actually had time to eat.

milk donation : mother to Ryan (6), AJ (5), Nate (2), Maia (1) all born at home, I have a kid-friendly food & bento blog, : :
Old 05-27-2008, 10:31 AM

we fed them nothing, but then again they were only at my house for maybe 2 hours before my each of my kids were born .....not alot of time to worry about what they needed.

We did have lots of food on hand though ~ fruit, frozen grapes, peanut butter for toast, eggs ( I had a BIG breakfast after my 4th baby!)......some frozen foods too. So if they were hungry they could have found something to eat.

Dana
Old 05-27-2008, 11:38 AM

We were planning to have wine, yummy cheese, and fresh fruit and probably something in the crock pot too, like a high-protein veggie stew or something like that. This is mostly for us and our doula because I don't imagine our midwife being there all that long, but she's welcome to it too.

I'm 33 weeks now and actually going shopping for some of the drinks and stuff I want on hand for birth to stock in the fridge (labeled, so dd or I don't drink them ahead of time!!).

Karen happily partnered mother of 3 beautiful girls (teen/toddler/newborn).
Old 05-27-2008, 12:16 PM

I had a big bag of non-perishable food ready for labor that was for my family and birthing team. The kids helped me shop for the stuff, and they knew it was to be left alone until I was in labor. I had peanut butter crackers, and that's all I can remember right now because it's been nearly two years! I had quite a bit of stuff in there though. Dh was supposed to tell everyone it was there and to help themselves. Also, when I went into labor, I put a huge amount of soup in the crockpot for everyone afterward.
Old 05-27-2008, 02:31 PM

We had asked our midwives in advance what kind of food they wanted us to have on hand for them and if they had any dietary retrictions. We had our fridge stocked with all kinds of different foods for them.

The birth ended up going really fast. I think my midwives were only there for 3 hours tops. We had a pot of coffee made for them, but there wasn't any time to eat anything.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
Old 05-27-2008, 09:14 PM

I froze a few store bought quiches. Good for B, L, or Dinner or whenever baby comes. Everyone enjoyed them very much. Keep a can of OJ in the freezer and your good to go!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 PM

ooh, that gives me the idea to make a great quiche recipe that I have. I'll have to do that as soon as my labor starts if it's not in the middle of the night.

As far as the MW's go...just buy what you would eat that way if they aren't ther e for long it won't get wasted. They'll find something if they get hungry.
Old 05-27-2008, 09:35 PM

I just had my fridge stocked as normal. They were welcome to make anything they wanted. I didn't worry at all about feeding them because I was busy! My mil cut up some fruit and made some veggie patties I think but the midwife and her assistant just nibbled on the minimum so it wasn't a big deal.

Divorced mama to baby girl (7/5/06) and baby boy (8/5/08) Into anything fun and creative!
Old 05-27-2008, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Thanks for the ideas. I guess I should ask her if she likes anything. Like I said, I wont be making soup in a crock pot or in anything else... Im not that handy in the kitchen -

I like the idea of the frozen store bought quiches!

Wife to - Mama to DS 6/08 and DS 9/11
Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM

i've heard some ppl say they fed their midwives and some who didn't. If i or dh had the time during labor i probably get a fruit and veggie platter. And order a try of sandwiches from subway. But before i did this i would ask the midwives about any specific foods they eat.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:34 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I had a very well stocked fridge, sandwich makings, a leftover bean chili, tons of salad stuff, fruit, and we still ended up ordering a pizza.

There is no way to happiness, happiness is the way.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn View Post
Nothing - my midwives were there to feed me! (They made me miso soup in labor, and heated us up some soup we had in the freezer before they left.) We did have food available (including miso ) if they'd needed it, but they're not guests, it wasn't our job to feed them.
For me personally, this was an important perspective to take. I get kinda uptight and hover when I have guests. In labor, I needed all my focus to be on me. I figured my midwife and assistant could bring food, help themselves to whatever we had on hand, or take turns going out to fetch something. As it turned out, I gave birth at midnight and the midwife had only been there a few minutes beforehand. So, not prime eating hours, even if I had prepared a big spread.
Old 05-27-2008, 11:45 PM

I'll probably make spaghetti or something simple.
Well, DH will. I don't think I'm going to want to be cooking. I was in labour with DD on Thanksgiving and DH kept bugging me to make the yams. I was like "Make your own **** yams, I'm having a contraction dammit!!"

Oh, and it happened to be my birthday as well!

I'm a modifiedartist.gif DH is a reading.gif we have 2 angel.gifs, and DS is a rainbow1284.gif baby.gif
Old 05-27-2008, 11:57 PM
Banned

I had a ton of food frozen for the days/weeks after birthing my daughter (did this while nesting lol) so my mom threw in a lasagna a few minutes after dd was born --- so we all ate that and a greek salad I had made the day before --- my labor was way short so no one really ate *during* labor -- we all ate after... it was fun!
Old 05-28-2008, 12:11 AM

I think frozen food that can heat up easily for after birth meal (loved the quiche idea) would be great. Also boxed healthy snacks for the occasion that I go into labor the day before shopping day:. I think I will also pick up some uncured ham slices to freeze along with a loaf of bread so if we need quick sandwiches it will be easy to thaw out and add condiments. Since I live about 30mins from the local supermarket if I don't have it in the fridge/freezer I probably wont be going out to get it once I am in labor.

Mountain Biking bikenew.gifMama of 3 little beans, .      Epumped 1pump.gif 22mths for dd1 (2006) notes.gif
Nursed fly-by-nursing1.gifmy homebirth.jpg babe, dd2 (2008) until self weaned at 3yrsbouncy.gif. We survived a major nursing strike.

Awesome homebirth.jpg for Baby #3 who turned out to be a babygirl.gif (Aug 2013)!   

Old 05-28-2008, 12:21 AM

they fed themselves. like some PPs, i don't see them as guests that need to be fed. my dad went out and got subway for everyone that wanted it. i only had 2 requests, no one get anything with onions or anything hot/smelly. i was rather nauseated, so i just didn't want to smell whatever anyone was eating.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:14 PM

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I think you'll find that midwives are pretty good at finding and grazing in your kitchen. The last thing we want you (or your partner) worrying about is catering to us! If you have, you know, bread, fruit, cheese, hummus and crackers, etc. on hand it will be fine. I usually carry some granola bars and apples in my birth bag anyway.

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
Old 05-28-2008, 03:23 PM

I plan to have a vegetarian lasagna ready to go to feed everyone and maybe some sandwich stuff as well. Fruit, cheese and nuts in bowls or on plates to snack on. DH will be on tea-making duty for the duration.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

Old 05-28-2008, 03:30 PM

I don't think it should be expected for sure. It was nice to have a yummy nourishing meal on hand rather than just snack foods for my family and I and the mw and assistant appreciated this as well. In hindsight, it added some extra specialness and love to that beautiful day(s).
Old 05-28-2008, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitymama View Post
I plan to have a vegetarian lasagna ready to go to feed everyone and maybe some sandwich stuff as well. Fruit, cheese and nuts in bowls or on plates to snack on. DH will be on tea-making duty for the duration.
My sister took orders over the phone for everyone (mw included) and did a starbucks run on her way over to see our baby. That was really fun!

User Tag List