? about Minnesota homebirth *UPDATE in OP* We're having a homebirth! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 06-13-2008, 04:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So we've interviewed midwives and we've decided on one and we're going ahead with our homebirth...insurance coverage or not. (we did find out that insurance covers the prenatal/postnatal care, just NOT the actual birth itself)

I'm so excited...so now to start organizing, cleaning and planning!

Summer: crafty mama to 2 little girls and wife to Bob
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 06-13-2008, 06:02 PM

I'm in Rochester, and planning a homebirth for my next pregnancy. I'm using a midwife out of northern Iowa (about an hour south of Rochester).

As far as insurance, I have Health Partners, too. I'm assuming yours is an HMO, like mine. Since it's an HMO, they only cover in-network providers at their hospitals. It's not like a PPO, where you have in-network and out-of-network providers. The only time they cover out-of-network is if it's an emergency and you're nowhere near a HealthPartners facility. When I called and asked about it, they said they accept Cigna-affiliated facilities as an out-of-network provider if you're out of town, but that's it. You can always call and argue, but HMOs are set up differently than PPOs. You can always send in a reimbursement request, but I doubt it would be covered.

Now, I believe there are a few CNMs (certified nurse midwives) in the Cities who do homebirths. THAT may be a way around the system. But you'd have to call and ask. DON'T tell them you're having a homebirth, just tell them the name of your provider (if you're going with a CNM) and ask if she is covered by HealthPartners. If they bug you about the facility, just say you haven't decided yet, and want to know if she is covered by HealthPartners. That's the only thing I can think of.

For a list of Minnesota midwives, check here: http://mfmidwifery.org/

and here: http://www.minnesotabirthnetwork.com/

It's probably too late for this now, but you can always stash away in your flexible spending account the money you need for the homebirth; at least then it's not taxed ...
#3 of 18 Old 06-14-2008, 01:08 AM

I have Jeanne Bazille and Jane Kirby (twins) and I have used Jeanne for my last two homebirths as well. Jane is also amazing. There is Gail Tully (I am not sure how many births she is doing right now) and she is also fantastic.

Otherwise, there is Kim and Kathy, who have been attending births for many many years. It depends on what type of midwife you want for your homebirth. There aren't any CNM's at this point attending homebirth in the cities. There is one up in Duluth though. I will second Minnesota Families for Midwifery as a good place to start your search! Interview a couple and see who you like. Most of them work with apprentices as well.

As far as insurance, there are some insurance companies that will reimburse, but not many. Most of the midwifes help you though the filing, and have someone that they send the info directly too, so that you don't have to do the coding. I know that there are families who have gotten money back, but I wouldn't count on it. You can declare it on your taxes as out of pocket medical expense though. I will say that midwives here cost around $3000.00 and that is for all of the prenatals, the birth and the 6 weeks of postpartum care. Well worth the cost! And you can usually make some payment arrangements if you need to.

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#4 of 18 Old 06-15-2008, 01:39 AM

I've heard wonderful things about Jeanne Bazille and also about Kim and Kathy. I chose Rolla Crandall for my first birth, and thought she was great. She's very grounded and matter of fact, expects that you'll take responsibility for your own birth (she has a great lending library, as I'm sure, do the other midwives), and has chosen not to be certified. This was an important consideration for me, as I did not want my birth to be governed in anyway by legal or bureaucratic considerations (although, I'd have to say most home birth midwives know a work -around or two if necessary). I was primarily concerned about the issue of going more than two weeks beyond my due date, and Rolla was the only midwife I found who could say that time was not an issue as long as Mom and babe were healthy. Ironically, I went 3 weeks over, and my back up OB at the clinic was even willing to give me a work around - we did an post-date ultrasound, and he was willing to state that our dates were probably wrong - so no need for concern, but I was very happy with all aspects of my birth and care.

P.S. My second birth was with Brenda Burke in SE Minnesota, and I was thrilled to have her. I would recommend her up and down. (She is also not certified, being an Iowa midwife).
#5 of 18 Old 06-15-2008, 03:05 AM

I'm currently seeing Clare Welter (CNM) and Emme Corbeil (TM, soon to be CPM) who usually work with Gail Tully. Gail is on sabbatical this summer to work on a book. They are FANTASTIC!! I have not, obviously, had them at birth, but they were fabulous when I called at 28 weeks looking for a CNM that would do a homebirth. I do know though, that they had a recent birth and submitted to Health Partners who said they will not cover anything in regards to homebirth. They work with Larsen Billing though, so if you want to give it a try, there are professional resources. I'm due July 14th, so I will try to find this thread to update

PM me if you have any questions! GL!

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1
#6 of 18 Old 06-15-2008, 01:53 PM

Funny Om Girl, I'm totally in the same boat! I am seeing the healtheast cnm at St. Joes, but I want to explore homebirth as an option. I am looking at mw and have heard that Kim and Kathy are amazing as well as the suggestions by Doula Sarah. I am calling them Monday. $3000.00 is a lot of money for a having a baby and having to pay for it on your own. I also have healthpartners and am exploring ways of having them pay for it. I guess the first step is to call the insurancce company and ask straight out.

OT: Check out the tribal area, I posted to your longfellow meetup. Thur or Fri 9am at the riverview works for me. Lets meetup!

Samantha:: love.gif {Waldorf Doll Maker} broc1.gif{Organic Farmer}knit.gif{crafter} computergeek2.gif {blogger}  and crunchy mama to 4 boys under 5! run.gif

#7 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Sooo bummed...called our insurance company and asked about out of network provider coverage and they said 70% + $400.00 deductible. I though, "ok, I can handle that" then she says "just so you know we do NOT cover homebirth or out of hospital births at all, whether you use an in-network or out-of-network provider.

This is starting to look a little dismal...

#8 of 18 Old 06-30-2008, 02:23 PM

Have you actually met with any homebirth midwives yet? I wouldn't make any decisions based on finances without at least meeting with and interviewing homebirth midwives. It is free to do that, and at the meeting you can bring up your concern about the fees and talk about different ways to pay.

Midwives do sliding scale, they take payment plans, they take chucks of money, and some even look forward to the 20 dollars a month they get. Birth isn't about money, and choosing to plan a hospital birth because of it...it just isn't the way to do it.

I know I sound bitchy, and I don't mean to come across that way at all! I have been to so many hospital births, and even when you do everything you can to "have a homebirth in a hospital" it is not even close. It is birthing your baby in a hospital.

I have to say that this is perfectly fine for many families. They are more comfortable there, they come away with very happy memories and either don't choose to see, or don't realize all of the things that can and are often done without consent. Women and families that want to birth normally at home though, it is different. They are black and white as far as the way your baby comes into the world.

I am not explaining myself well, maybe it is the hormones. Please don't give up on a wonderful normal way to birth your baby just because your insurance won't pay for it. It is truly not about the money. Hospital birth and homebirth are not even remotely close.

Anyway, good luck on your journey. I hope you choose to interview some great midwives before you make a final decision. And if you should choose to birth at the hospital, make sure it is because it is where you WANT to be, rather then where you have to be.

Sarah (who has been to births at North)

wife - mother - midwife

CIRCUMCISION

The more you know, the worse it gets.

#9 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 04:44 PM - Thread Starter

So we have an appointment with a homebirth CNM on Thursday! DH finally agreed just to go and talk about the possibility of homebirth. I'm super excited, but trying really hard not to get my hopes up...I'll keep you all posted.

Does anyone know the MN laws regarding homebirth and insurance coverage?

#10 of 18 Old 07-06-2008, 11:08 PM

I'll be watching this thread... I am in Mpls and I just found out today that we are expecting #2 and I WANT a homebirth.

My problem is...
*we are on Med assistance and do not have any extra money as my husband is a fulltime seminary student and we both work parttime
*my FIL and grandpa are OBGYNS (gramps is retired but a big part of my life) and my mother is a stongly opposed to homebirth L&D nurse

and yeah... I know nothing about homebirth really... except that I just crave one with this pregnancy. I didn't have one with my first... I had a hospital midwife delivery w/ no pain meds... but I did have pitocin, a fetal monitor attached inside me onto babies head, a monitor on my belly, a blood pressure cuff on at all times.... pretty much a million cords all over me so all I wanted to do was lay in bed so I wouldn't have to carry it all around. I want to take birth back into my own capable hands.

Anyway.... yeah, I am mostly hoping I can find an affordable way to make this happen. I wonder if any midwives in the area base their fees on income.
#11 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 05:25 PM

Check with your state's med assistance program and what they cover. I'm in Iowa and our Medicaid program covers homebirth 100%.
#12 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Om Girl View Post
So we have an appointment with a homebirth CNM on Thursday! DH finally agreed just to go and talk about the possibility of homebirth. I'm super excited, but trying really hard not to get my hopes up...I'll keep you all posted.

Does anyone know the MN laws regarding homebirth and insurance coverage?

hmm... i had no idea there were any homebirth cnms in the twin cities. who are you seeing if you don't mind me asking?

dh and i are having a hb with kim and kathy. i also met with rolla who has delivered 6 of my 3 friends babies and i liked her too.

i started off my quest for good midwifery care by seeing katherine simon but decided i wanted a homebirth.

kim and kathy said they have had some success with getting at least part of the prenatal care and or births covered by some insurances. we have medica preffered, anyone tried with this?
#13 of 18 Old 07-07-2008, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IowaMom View Post
Check with your state's med assistance program and what they cover. I'm in Iowa and our Medicaid program covers homebirth 100%.
I'm pretty sure it isn't covered here.... lame-o! My husbands from Iowa and we lived there for a few years... why oh why!
#14 of 18 Old 07-11-2008, 02:04 AM

Curious who your CNM is... I delivered with Janet Schwab CNM about a year ago. She was great but she moved to Colorado. Her backup was Claire Welter, who I met once and REALLY liked. If I get PG again I'd be calling Claire!

As an aside, my insurance was Medica Choice and however she billed it, they paid all but $150 of her $3500 fee!!!

GL with your HB. I loved mine!!

Christina

Wife, mother of 2
#15 of 18 Old 09-02-2008, 05:33 PM

We just found out that I'm about 8 wks w/ our second. DH is not thrilled about the idea of a homebirth, but has agreed to consider the possibility. We are also on medica choice ma. I've been calling midwives listed in the yellow pages, none of them do home births. One office told me it was illegal in MN for a midwife to attend a HB. Now what? I need to start getting prenatal care soon, but can't find anyone. Maybe I'll call some of the ladies mentioned in the above threads.

This is so frustrating. It's our bodies, why can't we birth as we see fit? This isn't right. In the UK, the first question a midwife asks is will this be at home, or at a hospital? AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!
#16 of 18 Old 09-02-2008, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by faeriemom03 View Post
We just found out that I'm about 8 wks w/ our second. DH is not thrilled about the idea of a homebirth, but has agreed to consider the possibility. We are also on medica choice ma. I've been calling midwives listed in the yellow pages, none of them do home births. One office told me it was illegal in MN for a midwife to attend a HB. Now what? I need to start getting prenatal care soon, but can't find anyone. Maybe I'll call some of the ladies mentioned in the above threads.

This is so frustrating. It's our bodies, why can't we birth as we see fit? This isn't right. In the UK, the first question a midwife asks is will this be at home, or at a hospital? AAAARRRRGGGG!!!!!
homebirth is NOT illegal in MN but CNMs who are registered with a university or hospital may have institutional agreements or agreements with their insurance companys to not do homebirths. but my midwives are certified by the state of MN as professional, licenced mws. i see kim and kathy or Dearborn midwifery services.
as far as medical assistance medica covering the cost of your homebirth youll have to have your midwife let you know of her success rate in getting coverage. many midwives who do homebirth contract with an accountant who helps submit your claim, however any reimbursement you get wont be until at least 6 weeks after baby is born. all the midwives i called in the twin cities cost between 2500 and 3000$ for prenatal care and the birth.

here is a link to the most comprehensive homebirth mw list i have found online:

http://www.minnesotabirthnetwork.com...eresource.html

on the husband note have your hubby watch The Bussiness of Being Born by Ricki lake. this movie changed my dh's mind on him first being totally against hb to being 110% for it!
#17 of 18 Old 12-08-2008, 12:10 AM

:

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

#18 of 18 Old 12-09-2008, 07:17 PM

That's true what HeyMama said. My midwife is GREAT with getting the insurance company to pay her fees, however she does it. I called to ask a question about how much of my RhoGAM shot I would have to pay for, and the agent on the phone told me that the insurance company had been paying her as if she were on their list of approved doctors rather than the aternative health care provider that she is! Of course, I live in a different state, but I think that midwives who have to work with difficult rules would know how to deal with them. I'm sure they are used to people who don't have $3500 sitting in their back pocket for a home birth. That being said, I don't know how everything will shake down at the end, but I trust that if we still have a "chunk" to pay that we will be able to work out a payment plan or something. The homebirth is so worth it! And, thankfully, we still have insurance so that if an emergency transfer is necessary, we WON'T have to pay THAT much more expensive prospect out of pocket!

Happy Wife  partners.gif since 12/31/05 ~ Blessed Mama to stillheart.gif 2/8/09 and stillheart.gif 6/11/11, with stillheart.gif on the way due 2/24/14

User Tag List