Extra concerns for homebirth because of obesity? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 11:37 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,

Should I have extra concerns for my homebirth because I'm way overweight? I've mentioned it to every midwife I've talked to and no one has had any problems with it. The last one I talked to said she's been checking with other midwives and reading about it to make sure it would be ok. So far my blood pressure is good and I passed my first glucose test,,,,I have another one today at 28 weeks. The midwife mentioned that something had just happened in another state because they couldn't hear the heart tones but I told her that so far my OB has had no trouble with that at all and then she mentioned something about the opening being smaller,,,,I think that was more with my first child instead of being big.

Anyway,,,,I just wanted to see if any of you had opinions about this!

Thank you!

April
#2 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 12:32 PM

Hi April,

If you continue to remain low risk as far as blood pressure and other factors, I can't imagine it would be a problem! I know many overweight women who have had no problem with natural births, including my own mom.

My great-grandmother weighed probably close to 400 pounds and birthed 10 children at home.

Just wanted to give you a vote of confidence!

Here is a really good website too, that someone told me about:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/firstindex.html
#3 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 01:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by thankfulblessedmom View Post
Hi April,

If you continue to remain low risk as far as blood pressure and other factors, I can't imagine it would be a problem! I know many overweight women who have had no problem with natural births, including my own mom.

My great-grandmother weighed probably close to 400 pounds and birthed 10 children at home.

Just wanted to give you a vote of confidence!

Here is a really good website too, that someone told me about:

http://www.plus-size-pregnancy.org/firstindex.html
I hope I will continue to remain low risk! I've almost been expecting it the whole pregnancy but so far so good!

Thank you for the vote of confidence!

Thanks for the site and your reply!
#4 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We're planning a homebirth with a midwife & I started off about 40lbs overweight. I've gained 20 so far. My midwife didn't even blink & even seemed to think I was overplaying my weight. I think the media & doctors like to play it up as a much bigger problem then it is.

Surviving sleep deprivation one day at a time with dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08).

#5 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 01:55 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeguard View Post
We're planning a homebirth with a midwife & I started off about 40lbs overweight. I've gained 20 so far. My midwife didn't even blink & even seemed to think I was overplaying my weight. I think the media & doctors like to play it up as a much bigger problem then it is.
That is great. Maybe I'm overplaying my weight too.....though I'm more than 60 lbs overweight!!
#6 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 01:59 PM

I more than 60 lbs overweight to start with. I changed to home birth late in the game as my original OB was playing the "you might end up sick so we might have to induce" game with me. I stayed healthy. BP healthy, everything still healthy. So at 28 weeks we switched docs to a home birth friendly doc for an honest opinion. He mentioned his only concern was I could grow a bigger baby as there is more room in there, but given I have not gained much weight, and I don't have GD, he said that is not a reason to be in the hospital. So we found a mw. She is not concerned about my weight and the birth. As long as I do not get those other factors that cause concern in anyone at any weight - higher BP, pre-e signs - she is cool with it. I have kept my weight gain at under 10 lbs, but again, I started with more than 60 extra (a lot more actually).

Do not let them use weight as a reason to intimidate you out of home birthing. Just because we are larger does not mean we are inherently unhealthy!!

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#7 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 02:06 PM - Thread Starter

Madiesmommy,
I'm glad to hear that! I'm at 28 weeks right now. I just never thought it would be possible to actually have a homebirth until I happened on a doula's site one day and everything has changed since then! It is really what I have always imagined when I imagined giving birth so I'm really excited about it,,,,,and a little anxious!

Hopefully she's just being cautious before meeting me,,,,if not I'll just find someone else!

Good luck with your homebirth!!
#8 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 02:07 PM - Thread Starter

Lifeguard,
Good luck on your homebirth also!
#9 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 05:30 PM

I'm about 100 pounds overweight. Luckily my pregancies have never had any complications and I give birth Awesomely!
I would NOT hesitate to give birth at home solely cuz of my weight.

I had a UC last year and I am planning a homebirth again in October.
#10 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 06:26 PM

I weigh 300 lbs I was 290 before pregnancy, and now am 300. I am 35 weeks pregnant, planning a homebirth. My midwife has never batted an eye. My blood pressure is great, sugar great, nothing negative to speak of. I am 150 or so lbs overweight

Erika, wife to geek.gif and Mommy to twins.gif born in 05, coolshine.gif born in 06, biggrinbounce.gif born in 08! Ive had 8 miscarriagesmecry.gif and am praying.gif for a sticky bean in December 2012! I homeschool.gifsaynovax.gifwinner.jpg and hope for a hbac.gif!

#11 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 06:46 PM

I too am carrying about 80 extra pounds and while I was risked out of my last homebirth due to an incorrect pre-e diagnosis from the ob I was seeing (did double care) my weight was never an issue. I've spoken to quite a few midwives for this birth and only one seemed to be hesitant due to my weight, needless to say I'm not going to be hiring her!

Lisa, mama to Orion (7) , Fiona Star (born sleeping @ 38wks 12/6/08) , our bitty (m/c 7/27/09) , and Charlotte Athena (11/5/10)
#12 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 07:14 PM

I wouldn't worry at all. Are you so big you can't walk around? Are you so big you can take care of yourself? If not then you probably aren't too big to give birth either.

I'm overweight, probably could stand to loose a good 60-70lbs, but my blood pressure is great (110/70) and my blood sugars are great (70 for fasting, 110 for post meal). Fat does not mean unhealthy.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
#13 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 07:28 PM
Banned

I am so glad that you started this thread, because I have been getting all kinds of (stuff) for wanting to get pregnant now, while I weigh 290-ish. (Down from 305)

I have even had one doctor tell me that my vagina was fat during my pap smear. (Yeah, it was really hard to not just kick her in the face and break her nose.)

I'm subbing this thread so that I can read it later and have it squelch my fears from listening to ignorant people tell me that I cannot have a healthy baby if I'm overweight.
#14 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 07:35 PM

I was 270 when I started pregnancy with dd. I was 305 when I gave birth to her. I started this one at 340 and am up to only 347. My extra weight has not been an issue for my mw, or my new ob...it really makes choosing your care providers the most important choice.

And llamaluv - I would have told that doctor - that's why my husband/significant other loves to have sex with me - it just hugs it just right. After that you should have kicked and broke her nose! After either, I bet that doctor would keep her mouth shut next time.

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#15 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 07:40 PM

As with so many things, like being short, tall, old, or past your "due date", the main risk to being overweight when it comes to childbirth is that your care provider will decide that there's a risk to being overweight when it comes to childbirth.
#16 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 07:42 PM

Why are you having two glucose tests? Did you gain a lot of weight very rapidly during pregnancy or something? Basically is there a real reason to be closely monitoring for diabetes, or is this just a "You're HUGE, OMG GD!!!" freak out?
#17 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
Why are you having two glucose tests? Did you gain a lot of weight very rapidly during pregnancy or something? Basically is there a real reason to be closely monitoring for diabetes, or is this just a "You're HUGE, OMG GD!!!" freak out?
The office said because of my weight I needed two. One at the beginning of pregnancy and then one around 28 weeks......If the one at the beginning of pregnancy (I was around 8 weeks) was bad then I'd have to do a three hour instead of a 1 hour at 28 weeks. I was around 296 when I got pregnant and today I weighed 307.
#18 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 09:42 PM - Thread Starter

I'm sorry about the double post. I posted this on my tribe board also and they moved it!
#19 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 10:15 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for ALL of your replies and the stories you have shared! It makes me feel a lot better!!

I said what the heck today at my regular appointment at OB's office and asked the new midwife what she thought about a homebirth for me. She said that she thought I'd be a good candidate for it as long as I stay ok with BP and all. She was very nice and I really liked her BUT she did explain about how they have certain guidelines they have to go by with progression of labor, etc. I think she'd be good to work with other than the hospital guidelines she'd have to go by! Oh well,,,,it did encourage us though about a homebirth!!
#20 of 34 Old 07-02-2008, 10:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
I am so glad that you started this thread, because I have been getting all kinds of (stuff) for wanting to get pregnant now, while I weigh 290-ish. (Down from 305)

I have even had one doctor tell me that my vagina was fat during my pap smear. (Yeah, it was really hard to not just kick her in the face and break her nose.)

I'm subbing this thread so that I can read it later and have it squelch my fears from listening to ignorant people tell me that I cannot have a healthy baby if I'm overweight.
Yes, I say you should've broken her nose too!!!!!!!! How rude!

I didn't get much crap about wanting to get pregnant while being overweight but I gave it to myself! I have had an awesome pregnancy so far though so don't let it stop you!!!! Other than the two glucose tests my OB office hasn't even mentioned my weight and that has been nice since I'm so used to it coming up when I go to the dr. for ANYTHING!
#21 of 34 Old 07-03-2008, 02:46 AM

how can you have a FAT vagina??
#22 of 34 Old 07-03-2008, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gagirl2008 View Post
The office said because of my weight I needed two. One at the beginning of pregnancy and then one around 28 weeks......If the one at the beginning of pregnancy (I was around 8 weeks) was bad then I'd have to do a three hour instead of a 1 hour at 28 weeks. I was around 296 when I got pregnant and today I weighed 307.
So the first was more to see if you were already diabetic and the second was standard GD testing? That's a bit more reasonable. It would've been better for them to just ask if you had any signs of diabetes, but unmanaged diabetes in early pregnancy can really hurt the baby so it's better that they check anyone with risk factors.

Whew. I had this vision of them deciding to give you the test like every week from now on or something absurd like that.
#23 of 34 Old 07-03-2008, 05:03 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapphire_chan View Post
So the first was more to see if you were already diabetic and the second was standard GD testing? That's a bit more reasonable. It would've been better for them to just ask if you had any signs of diabetes, but unmanaged diabetes in early pregnancy can really hurt the baby so it's better that they check anyone with risk factors.

Whew. I had this vision of them deciding to give you the test like every week from now on or something absurd like that.
Yes, I guess that was it! I'm really hoping it comes back ok this time! They said they'll give me results in two weeks when I go back but I'm going to call for them sooner!
#24 of 34 Old 07-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
#25 of 34 Old 07-05-2008, 09:48 AM

You are worrying way too much about your weight.
WAY more than the care providers you have talked to are worrying.
Many of my ladies are overweight - they tend to take better care of themselves than the skinny gals too.
The only "difficulty" i have had with overweight moms is SEEING when the baby is coming out - if they are on hands and knees or squatting I can't see anything so I just have to trust that the Good Lord knew what He was doing and that babies come out even if you can't watch! OR i can put them on their back with their feet in the air - EWWWWWW!
jeni
#26 of 34 Old 07-05-2008, 10:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommyMidwife View Post
You are worrying way too much about your weight.
WAY more than the care providers you have talked to are worrying.
Many of my ladies are overweight - they tend to take better care of themselves than the skinny gals too.
The only "difficulty" i have had with overweight moms is SEEING when the baby is coming out - if they are on hands and knees or squatting I can't see anything so I just have to trust that the Good Lord knew what He was doing and that babies come out even if you can't watch! OR i can put them on their back with their feet in the air - EWWWWWW!
jeni
Thank you! I'm sure you are right! It is funny what we do to ourselves I guess. I just always thought I'd have a high risk pregnancy because of my weight but I'm loving that I'm not so far!!! One midwife fussed at me for saying so far and she's right!
#27 of 34 Old 07-05-2008, 10:57 AM

I have a very good friend irl who was very obese and has had homebirths. SHe is pregnant w/ her 5th after losing 100lbs (and is still obese) and no one has ever said anything about her weight being a risk factor as far as I know.
#28 of 34 Old 07-05-2008, 11:43 PM

Weight is a correlative risk factor - that means, it can be a sign of other factors which can be a problem (like high blood pressure, undiagnosed diabetes, very poor diet), but in and of itself it means nothing.

And just to add to the positive stories, I weighed about 280 before pregnancy, probably over 300 at the end, and had a gorgeously normal, beautiful pregnancy and birth at home.
#29 of 34 Old 07-06-2008, 01:42 PM

Just adding to the positives--I was 220 before I got pregnant, lost over 10 pounds because I had such bad morning sickness (did the same first time around), & still haven't gained it all back @ 7 months. When I was interviewing midwives for HB, they pretty much (gently) laughed at me when I asked if my weight or age (almost 40) were issues for them. The midwife I chose (love her) doesn't give glucose tests unless there are very strong current indications that there might be a problem. She also asked me if I wanted to be weighed or not. (I chose to be becuase I want to make sure that I'm gaining something! THe only time on my life that's the case is when I'm pregnant).

Loving mama to magical boys Skyler (11/21/03) and Gryffin Emrys (9/30/08). 

#30 of 34 Old 07-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by madiesmommy View Post

And llamaluv - I would have told that doctor - that's why my husband/significant other loves to have sex with me - it just hugs it just right. After that you should have kicked and broke her nose! After either, I bet that doctor would keep her mouth shut next time.
I wasn't married at that time. I was asking for her opinion about B/C for my upcoming wedding. She told me that I couldn't use a diaphragm or cervical cap because of my weight and my vagina was fat.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page