Give me a good excuse to give my CPs when I ask for my prenatal records - Mothering Forums

Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Okay, so here's the deal. My HB MWs and I have agreed that it's in all of our best interests for me continue tandem care with the CNMs I've been seeing. I have kept this homebirth a secret from them, because they are known to drop a client if they catch wind of them birthing outside of the hospital, and we don't want that to happen because we want all our bases covered for several reasons. The HB MWs want to see my paperwork from this pregnancy - labs, bloodwork and such - but I'm not sure how to go about asking for them without making it look like I'm switching providers. The MWs themselves could ask, but that would make it pretty obvious, and then I'm "fired." I suppose I could always just BS my way around it and say it's for my "personal records," or something like, "I had a terrible nightmare that the office burned down and I didn't have my records!" but if anyone else has a really good excuse to use, I'd love to hear it!
barefootpoetry is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 03:26 PM
 
gemasita's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Apex, NC
Posts: 1,491
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Maybe you could say something about an experience in the past where you needed your records and had a hard time getting them so now you ALWAYS get copies of your records for your own files?

Jamie, DW to Jeff, birth and postpartum doula and Hypnobabies instructor.
4 years and 5 IVF cycles in the making, Elliott was born at home in water on 2/2/11.
gemasita is offline  
#3 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 05:01 PM
 
nashvillemidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Will they drop you if you confide in them that you'd like to investigate home birth? That's what I tell clients to say - that they'd like to have a consultation with another provider, not that they're planning to leave the practice.
nashvillemidwife is offline  
 
#4 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 05:09 PM
 
~Megan~'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Oregon
Posts: 15,097
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Usually you go to the records office to request your records so they might not even know.

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
~Megan~ is offline  
#5 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 05:43 PM
 
Shelsi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Lafayette, IN
Posts: 4,340
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
With my first, we went on vacation for a week when I was about 20 weeks along and I asked for my records so that I'd have them on hand in case something happened. So you could just say you're going out of town to see family or something for a long weekend and you'd like a copy just in case.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Shelsi is offline  
#6 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 07:15 PM
 
lifeguard's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Coyote Rock Farm
Posts: 6,549
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Yeah, I would go with the travel story too.

Doula mama to dd (Oct '11) & ds (Oct '08) and expecting (Apr '17)
lifeguard is offline  
#7 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 08:15 PM
 
paquerette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Poconos
Posts: 6,594
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Travel story is probably the road of least resistance. But on a side note, I hate offices that don't give you copies of your records as a matter of course! I finally got my old gp's office trained to give me actual copies of my labwork, not stupid form letters a week later that said "results were normal."
paquerette is offline  
#8 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 08:22 PM
 
JBaxter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 4,244
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ask to have copies to your primary care person THEN ask your primary care for the records

Jeana Christian momma to 4 sons Logan 18, Connor 15, Nathan 6, and bonus baby Jack 1
JBaxter is offline  
#9 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 08:24 PM
 
roadfamily6now's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Anchorage, ALASKA
Posts: 3,964
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well, since that is the case..................


You say you are going on vacation and want to carry a copy just incase.

Tammy
 vbac.gifvbac.gifvbac.gifvbac.gifhbac.gif 
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
roadfamily6now is offline  
#10 of 36 Old 07-04-2008, 11:38 PM
 
Kidzaplenty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Writing my Happily Ever After
Posts: 15,078
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
In the past, I have just gone in and told them I would like a copy of my records. Never had them ask why, and I was not switching drs. So, perhaps it is that easy.

Any misspellings or grammatical errors in the above statement are intentional;
they are placed there for the amusement of those who like to point them out.
Kidzaplenty is offline  
#11 of 36 Old 07-05-2008, 12:06 AM
 
apelilae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 683
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You don't need to give a reason. You can just request them. I believe it would be against some privacy act (like HIPPA or whatev) for them to force you to give a reason.
apelilae is offline  
#12 of 36 Old 07-05-2008, 01:07 AM - Thread Starter
 
barefootpoetry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,577
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thanks ladies...the vacation idea is brilliant! I think that is the one I will use, if they ask.
barefootpoetry is offline  
#13 of 36 Old 07-05-2008, 09:42 AM
 
MommyMidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 49
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just say that you are going out of town for a few weeks and you want to have your records with you just in case.
They are YOUR records anyhow - so they should be FINE with it!
jeni
MommyMidwife is offline  
#14 of 36 Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 PM
 
*MamaJen*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 5,267
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
They're your medical records. I don't think they're even allowed to ask you why you want them. You certainly don't have to justify it with a reason. Just say, "I'd like a copy of my records, please." End of story.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
. Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and new mama to baby Arthur.
*MamaJen* is offline  
#15 of 36 Old 07-05-2008, 02:28 PM
 
texaspeach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,518
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
They're your medical records. I don't think they're even allowed to ask you why you want them. You certainly don't have to justify it with a reason. Just say, "I'd like a copy of my records, please." End of story.
:

don't offer a reason and they shouldn't ask a reason - don't ask don't tell
texaspeach is offline  
#16 of 36 Old 07-05-2008, 03:56 PM
 
mommathea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 897
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just went in to get my records. When I did they didn't ask any questions at all. All I had to do was fill out a form stating my personal info, what parts of the medical info I wanted(I checked for all reccords) Then there was a blank and I just stated for personal use.
The desk clerk looked at it, said that for personal use I would have to pay a fee. The nexed day I got a call saying my file was ready to be picked up. Never any questions asked.

Thea, wife to Daniel Homeschooling Momma to 4 beautiful, engergetic children.
mommathea is offline  
#17 of 36 Old 07-05-2008, 06:49 PM
 
nashvillemidwife's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,671
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think it really depends on how large the office is. I think you're less likely to run into an awkward situation if it's a busy practice. I've known smaller practices to have a policy of the doctor "signing off" when a current patient requests records. You don't owe them an explanation and they won't refuse to give them to you, but you might get a call from the doctor inquiring if you plan to leave.
nashvillemidwife is offline  
#18 of 36 Old 07-06-2008, 12:39 PM
 
guestmama9904's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 1,431
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i always want my lab records regardless of if i am transferring care or not. i simply want to see the numbers as I have worked as a hcp and have enough knowledge on the results to make it relevant for me to wish to see them.
guestmama9904 is offline  
#19 of 36 Old 07-06-2008, 12:55 PM
 
kerikadi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Training in Houston
Posts: 4,364
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Usually you go to the records office to request your records so they might not even know.
This.

A siimple, "I need my records" will do. They may not even ask why and you owe them no explanation.

 Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
kerikadi is offline  
#20 of 36 Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 PM
 
Kim919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I wouldn't give a reason.

Call, give your name & say your a patient. Request your records up to date. They may charge you a small fee (for their time & the copies. I wouldn't argue this issue)

Its none of their business why you want them, don't offer a reason. If they ask "will you be changing care providers" say "no, I'm very happy & will be staying with dr. such & such, thank you."

If they keep going after that point, just say " I know you keep all of my records on file, but I always keep my own copies of my medical records as well." (I would give them one more "why?" - "its just something i've always done." If they ask why again, ask them back "I'm sorry, i'm not trying to inconveience you, is there a reason I can't have a copy of my records for my own file?" )

I think that is a reasonable explination. I think people should have consolidated medical records for their own purposes. I wish I was more dilligent about it.
Kim919 is offline  
#21 of 36 Old 07-07-2008, 12:38 PM
 
Kim919's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 635
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Travel story is probably the road of least resistance. But on a side note, I hate offices that don't give you copies of your records as a matter of course! I finally got my old gp's office trained to give me actual copies of my labwork, not stupid form letters a week later that said "results were normal."
I won't pay the bill unless I have a copy of the results from lab work. Untill I was 19 years old I NEVER ONCE got a phone call OR a letter back after having blood/urine work done.

I find that more often then not they are unable to provide me with a copy of the labwork. I usually ask "then how did the doctor review it?" For my blood test w/ this pregnancy it took two weeks of calling their office before they could find my results (was supposed to be a same day response for pregnancy tests)
Kim919 is offline  
#22 of 36 Old 07-07-2008, 12:56 PM
 
lwuertz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bakersfield, CA
Posts: 1,037
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You could say you've subscribed to an online digital medical record service and want to put your records in there.

There is a site that I've seen advertised, but can't find right now. It lets you put all your medical records on there so they are in a centralized location so that no matter if you move or whatever you have them.

I even saw a news story about how people who had digital records that were victims of hurricane Katrina still had access to their records and were able to transfer them to other offices/cities when they moved after the storm.

FWIW, I'm in somewhat the same position. Because of some of the issues I've had this pregnancy my MW thinks it would be a good idea to have me continue to see my OB till the end. I have to ask for a copy of my labs at tomorrow's appointment. At my last appointment I told my OB that I was "thinking" about having a homebirth and he told me that ACOG is against homebirths and so he is too, but that it's ultimately my decision.
lwuertz is offline  
#23 of 36 Old 07-07-2008, 08:35 PM
 
thefragile7393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Ask to have copies to your primary care person THEN ask your primary care for the records
That wouldn't work....under HIPAA a PCP can only release his/her own files on a person, not another doc's files. The person has to go to each doc to get copies of whatever they want.

It's true, just say that you'd like a copy of your records and any labs/sonos after each visit (which means likely filling out a release for each visit). Explain you like to have copies of all your treatment for your own review if need be.

Sometimes it's good to state vaguely what you need them for, as some offices charge if they are just going to you, whereas if they are going to another doc or to a hospital they don't charge as a courtesy. Just depends on your particular office's policy.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

thefragile7393 is online now  
#24 of 36 Old 07-07-2008, 09:37 PM
 
titania8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: flint, mi
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i always ask for copies of stuff, and have never gotten a real hard pressed questioning about it. its your right.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
titania8 is offline  
#25 of 36 Old 07-07-2008, 09:43 PM
 
titania8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: flint, mi
Posts: 1,332
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
Thanks ladies...the vacation idea is brilliant! I think that is the one I will use, if they ask.
that's great if you will only plan on doing this once, but what if you have another test or whatever a few weeks or whatever down the road? will you feel awkward asking again, will you feel like you need to come up with another excuse? really, they most likely won't ask for a reason, and you don't need to provide one if they do.

~helen~ mama to 5 yo twins jonas and micah and my 2 yo baby boy eli
titania8 is offline  
#26 of 36 Old 07-08-2008, 11:02 AM
 
PassionateWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Ask to have copies to your primary care person THEN ask your primary care for the records
as fragile said, this wont work. some PC's may give you copies but they arent supposed to.

i wouldnt make up a story. and i would look at them like they have 3 heads if they asked why. i would just say (in a completely condescending tone), well, they are my records and i want to review them" (and look at them like "what is your problem with that?"). but im kind of *itchy like that when it comes to dr's.
PassionateWriter is offline  
#27 of 36 Old 07-08-2008, 02:30 PM
 
MelKnee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Upstate California
Posts: 1,169
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
They're your medical records. I don't think they're even allowed to ask you why you want them. You certainly don't have to justify it with a reason. Just say, "I'd like a copy of my records, please." End of story.
:
If they ask for a reason, say that it's private. If they persist, say that it's none of their business.

Momma to three fine children, one that lives in my heart and two that live in my arms.
Circumcision is wrong, regardless of gender
MelKnee is offline  
#28 of 36 Old 07-08-2008, 04:06 PM
 
Baby_Cakes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: NJ
Posts: 9,883
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
They're your medical records. I don't think they're even allowed to ask you why you want them. You certainly don't have to justify it with a reason. Just say, "I'd like a copy of my records, please." End of story.
Ditto this! It's crazy how we feel they own our records! They're OURS! Even they they usually make us PAY to get copies of them, they're our info. Just ask for a copy. No need to give a "good reason".

Carrie
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
mama to Nora(8)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Finn (5)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
    and Baby Tiebreaker due 1/18
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Baby_Cakes is offline  
#29 of 36 Old 07-08-2008, 06:36 PM
 
thefragile7393's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 2,804
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post
Ditto this! It's crazy how we feel they own our records! They're OURS! Even they they usually make us PAY to get copies of them, they're our info. Just ask for a copy. No need to give a "good reason".
It's a business like anything else in the medical field. They are about you, but technically they are owned by the hospital/clinic/doctor and they can do as they please as regards to charges....some charge, some don't. Technically no, you don't need a reason to get copies, but just be prepared to be charged possibly if they are just for your consideration. I'd prefer to not make waves and raise suspicion in this type of situation and state they were for my information and leave it at that...no lies, but not the whole truth either.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

thefragile7393 is online now  
#30 of 36 Old 07-08-2008, 07:02 PM
 
PassionateWriter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 3,662
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post
It's a business like anything else in the medical field. They are about you, but technically they are owned by the hospital/clinic/doctor and they can do as they please as regards to charges....some charge, some don't. Technically no, you don't need a reason to get copies, but just be prepared to be charged possibly if they are just for your consideration. I'd prefer to not make waves and raise suspicion in this type of situation and state they were for my information and leave it at that...no lies, but not the whole truth either.
actually, there is a quasi legal ownership in an individual's own records but its a blurry line and the only absolute is that you are entitled to a copy of them. they cant technically do what they want re: charges bc they have to charge a reasonable fee...

i agree about not making waves in this situation though.
PassionateWriter is offline  
Reply


User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off

Online Users: 10,441

19 members and 10,422 guests
anacrish , babydoulajo , BirthFree , Deborah , esg , henry le , Lucee , manyhatsmom , moominmamma , nancy Faye , Ortizmanuella , RollerCoasterMama , scaramouche131 , sciencemum , SPrada , Tara 1st Timer , thefragile7393 , zebra15
Most users ever online was 449,755, 06-25-2014 at 12:21 PM.