Mothering Forum banner

Give me a good excuse to give my CPs when I ask for my prenatal records

2K views 35 replies 28 participants last post by  thefragile7393 
#1 ·
Okay, so here's the deal. My HB MWs and I have agreed that it's in all of our best interests for me continue tandem care with the CNMs I've been seeing. I have kept this homebirth a secret from them, because they are known to drop a client if they catch wind of them birthing outside of the hospital, and we don't want that to happen because we want all our bases covered for several reasons. The HB MWs want to see my paperwork from this pregnancy - labs, bloodwork and such - but I'm not sure how to go about asking for them without making it look like I'm switching providers. The MWs themselves could ask, but that would make it pretty obvious, and then I'm "fired." I suppose I could always just BS my way around it and say it's for my "personal records," or something like, "I had a terrible nightmare that the office burned down and I didn't have my records!" but if anyone else has a really good excuse to use, I'd love to hear it!

#2 ·
Maybe you could say something about an experience in the past where you needed your records and had a hard time getting them so now you ALWAYS get copies of your records for your own files?

#5 ·
With my first, we went on vacation for a week when I was about 20 weeks along and I asked for my records so that I'd have them on hand in case something happened. So you could just say you're going out of town to see family or something for a long weekend and you'd like a copy just in case.

#7 ·
Travel story is probably the road of least resistance.
But on a side note, I hate offices that don't give you copies of your records as a matter of course! I finally got my old gp's office trained to give me actual copies of my labwork, not stupid form letters a week later that said "results were normal."

#10 ·
In the past, I have just gone in and told them I would like a copy of my records. Never had them ask why, and I was not switching drs. So, perhaps it is that easy.

#14 ·
They're your medical records. I don't think they're even allowed to ask you why you want them. You certainly don't have to justify it with a reason. Just say, "I'd like a copy of my records, please." End of story.

#15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
They're your medical records. I don't think they're even allowed to ask you why you want them. You certainly don't have to justify it with a reason. Just say, "I'd like a copy of my records, please." End of story.
:

don't offer a reason and they shouldn't ask a reason - don't ask don't tell

#16 ·
I just went in to get my records. When I did they didn't ask any questions at all. All I had to do was fill out a form stating my personal info, what parts of the medical info I wanted(I checked for all reccords) Then there was a blank and I just stated for personal use.
The desk clerk looked at it, said that for personal use I would have to pay a fee. The nexed day I got a call saying my file was ready to be picked up. Never any questions asked.

#17 ·
I think it really depends on how large the office is. I think you're less likely to run into an awkward situation if it's a busy practice. I've known smaller practices to have a policy of the doctor "signing off" when a current patient requests records. You don't owe them an explanation and they won't refuse to give them to you, but you might get a call from the doctor inquiring if you plan to leave.

#19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
Usually you go to the records office to request your records so they might not even know.
This.

A siimple, "I need my records" will do. They may not even ask why and you owe them no explanation.

#20 ·
I wouldn't give a reason.

Call, give your name & say your a patient. Request your records up to date. They may charge you a small fee (for their time & the copies. I wouldn't argue this issue)

Its none of their business why you want them, don't offer a reason. If they ask "will you be changing care providers" say "no, I'm very happy & will be staying with dr. such & such, thank you."

If they keep going after that point, just say " I know you keep all of my records on file, but I always keep my own copies of my medical records as well." (I would give them one more "why?" - "its just something i've always done." If they ask why again, ask them back "I'm sorry, i'm not trying to inconveience you, is there a reason I can't have a copy of my records for my own file?" )

I think that is a reasonable explination. I think people should have consolidated medical records for their own purposes. I wish I was more dilligent about it.

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by paquerette View Post
Travel story is probably the road of least resistance.
But on a side note, I hate offices that don't give you copies of your records as a matter of course! I finally got my old gp's office trained to give me actual copies of my labwork, not stupid form letters a week later that said "results were normal."
I won't pay the bill unless I have a copy of the results from lab work. Untill I was 19 years old I NEVER ONCE got a phone call OR a letter back after having blood/urine work done.

I find that more often then not they are unable to provide me with a copy of the labwork. I usually ask "then how did the doctor review it?" For my blood test w/ this pregnancy it took two weeks of calling their office before they could find my results (was supposed to be a same day response for pregnancy tests)

#22 ·
You could say you've subscribed to an online digital medical record service and want to put your records in there.

There is a site that I've seen advertised, but can't find right now. It lets you put all your medical records on there so they are in a centralized location so that no matter if you move or whatever you have them.

I even saw a news story about how people who had digital records that were victims of hurricane Katrina still had access to their records and were able to transfer them to other offices/cities when they moved after the storm.

FWIW, I'm in somewhat the same position. Because of some of the issues I've had this pregnancy my MW thinks it would be a good idea to have me continue to see my OB till the end. I have to ask for a copy of my labs at tomorrow's appointment. At my last appointment I told my OB that I was "thinking" about having a homebirth and he told me that ACOG is against homebirths and so he is too, but that it's ultimately my decision.

#23 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Ask to have copies to your primary care person THEN ask your primary care for the records

That wouldn't work....under HIPAA a PCP can only release his/her own files on a person, not another doc's files. The person has to go to each doc to get copies of whatever they want.

It's true, just say that you'd like a copy of your records and any labs/sonos after each visit (which means likely filling out a release for each visit). Explain you like to have copies of all your treatment for your own review if need be.

Sometimes it's good to state vaguely what you need them for, as some offices charge if they are just going to you, whereas if they are going to another doc or to a hospital they don't charge as a courtesy. Just depends on your particular office's policy.

#25 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by barefootpoetry View Post
Thanks ladies...the vacation idea is brilliant! I think that is the one I will use, if they ask.

that's great if you will only plan on doing this once, but what if you have another test or whatever a few weeks or whatever down the road? will you feel awkward asking again, will you feel like you need to come up with another excuse? really, they most likely won't ask for a reason, and you don't need to provide one if they do.

#26 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
Ask to have copies to your primary care person THEN ask your primary care for the records

as fragile said, this wont work. some PC's may give you copies but they arent supposed to.

i wouldnt make up a story. and i would look at them like they have 3 heads if they asked why. i would just say (in a completely condescending tone), well, they are my records and i want to review them" (and look at them like "what is your problem with that?"). but im kind of *itchy like that when it comes to dr's.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.