Homebirth in the news... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-25-2008, 08:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Instead of posting an individual posting for each article that inspires or riles us up, I thought I would start a thread where we can post links to news reports about homebirth.

Feel free to post others that you come across and discuss what you think about them. I'll start things off with a few I've found over the past few weeks:

Christian Science Monitor: Laboring to save homebirths

Chicago Tribune: Homebirth, should it be illegal?

Journal Sentinal: Don’t stymie choice of home childbirth

St. Petersburg Times: A bundle of debate over giving birth at home
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2008, 10:17 PM

Thanks for posting the links lwuertz!

The article in the Christian Science Monitor is close to my heart, as I live in Berks County, PA. Every homebirther or homebirther-to-be followed Diane Goslin's trial with trepidation. We thought our choice for future homebirths would evaporate.
Old 07-26-2008, 01:58 AM

Good idea on the macro thread. I've been seeing a lot of news coverage on homebirth. Some of it is a response to the Acog/Ricki Lake smackdown , but I think the news coverage is great in general because it serves to normalize homebirth.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 07-26-2008, 03:18 AM - Thread Starter

Yeah I think coverage in general is great because it gets the word out there. I'm trying to use some of my local news connections (I used to be a journalist) to get coverage done here. I've almost got one of my producer friends sold on doing a story about the debate.
Old 07-30-2008, 08:43 PM

There was an article in The Detroit News yesterday about homebirth in MI. The article was disappointing, but there have been some great comments posted from local supporters of homebirth.

femalesling.GIF semi-crunchy foster mom to A - 11mo

Old 07-30-2008, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snow~Pea View Post
There was an article in The Detroit News yesterday about homebirth in MI. The article was disappointing, but there have been some great comments posted from local supporters of homebirth.

I read this too! I couldn't really get if it was for or against homebirth, or just neutral.

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Old 07-31-2008, 03:48 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by belchers1 View Post
I read this too! I couldn't really get if it was for or against homebirth, or just neutral.
Well most *good* journalists try not to take a stance either way. I read the article and it seemed like they were trying to present both sides, but I felt like the ACOG friendly stats/evidence had a bigger impact than the personal/profile stories from either side. I would have liked to see stats and info presented from home birth friendly countries/organizations for the article to have been more balanced.
Old 07-31-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lwuertz View Post
Well most *good* journalists try not to take a stance either way. I read the article and it seemed like they were trying to present both sides, but I felt like the ACOG friendly stats/evidence had a bigger impact than the personal/profile stories from either side. I would have liked to see stats and info presented from home birth friendly countries/organizations for the article to have been more balanced.
I agreee!

Erica, wife to Jason (March 2002) . Mama to Ava (June 2003) , Jason Jr. [AKA JJ] (August 2004) , Lila (January 2009) , Maura (October 2010) , and a new person in December 2012!
Old 08-26-2008, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

South Florida Sun-Sentinel: Special delivery - Giving birth at home

PolitickerMD.com: Dr. Mike Hargadon Supports a Woman's Right to Choose Home Birth
Old 08-26-2008, 09:27 PM

Subbing now so I remember to come back and read all of the links. Great thread!
Old 08-26-2008, 10:38 PM

I periodically do a google news search on homebirth and it's been pretty dry lately. It's mostly British or Australian news stories, where homebirth is more normal, and it isn't the main element in the story.
When I was researching my homebirth last year, there was this crop of stories out of the UK about an NHS shortage of midwives, and people were all enraged that there weren't enough midwives to guarantee a free homebirth to everyone who wanted one.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
Old 08-27-2008, 02:34 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *MamaJen* View Post
I periodically do a google news search on homebirth and it's been pretty dry lately. It's mostly British or Australian news stories, where homebirth is more normal, and it isn't the main element in the story.
Yeah that's how I'm finding these stories. Sometimes I've noticed with Google news that stories continue to surface on the first page because they have been updated (probably to correct something like a typo) since their original post date. So I usually go through a couple pages at least to make sure I didn't miss anything. The other thing is that Google doesn't seem to have everything. I can sometimes go to other news sources that I check periodically, do a search and come up with something they'd ran recently that Google didn't pick up for whatever reason.
Old 08-27-2008, 01:51 PM

:
Old 09-12-2008, 11:37 AM

from our local paper this week:

http://pioneerlocal.com/1151844,on-h...108-s1.article

its actually very supportive of hb, and calls the ACOG's "judgement" into question.... It also brings up the limited options in Illinois

Also, check out on that site the "related stories" called "just asking" - this was a side bar in the main article that says that the ACOG didn't return the writer's call, but if they had, here were the questions that would have been asked - they are pretty good....

loving Mama to Killian (6/07) and Breckin (3/26)
Old 09-12-2008, 03:16 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanahan View Post
from our local paper this week:

http://pioneerlocal.com/1151844,on-h...108-s1.article

its actually very supportive of hb, and calls the ACOG's "judgement" into question.... It also brings up the limited options in Illinois

Also, check out on that site the "related stories" called "just asking" - this was a side bar in the main article that says that the ACOG didn't return the writer's call, but if they had, here were the questions that would have been asked - they are pretty good....
OK, if I were having my baby in a hospital I want that obstetric nurse in the first vignette as my nurse!
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 PM

I like this story from the UK-based Daily Telegraph: Home Births still rare despite government pledge.
The article treats home births as a totally normal, desirable event but notes that inadequate government staffing means that some women who want homebirths can't get them. You'd expect to hear a similar tone in an American news story about, like, a city bus line that wasn't offering enough routes to meet the needs of commuters.

"The Government has promised that by next year, all women in England should be given the option of where to have their baby. However, a shortage of midwives often means that women are not offered a home birth, or have it cancelled at the last minute and are forced to go into hospital. "

Old 10-14-2008, 01:04 AM - Thread Starter

Old 10-14-2008, 09:52 AM

http://www.newsobserver.com/105/story/537136.html

This is a story about my friend's hb my then 6 month old son and I attended!
Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 AM

wow what great birth story!! I'm not sure I'd want so many people there, but that's what they wanted and it sounds like it turned out great!!

Mama to 2 gorgeous little boys 5 yrs and 2.5 yrs fencing.gif expecting another babyf.gif in November 2011!!

It's a stork-girl.gif !!! hearts.gif
Living with my amazing partner love.gif and 4 cat.gif

Old 10-15-2008, 10:58 AM

This is going to be on tv Tuesday, Oct 21. Wonder if it can be good or not-hmmm...

Tune In: Freebirthing

A growing movement of women in the US and in the UK are defying medical advice and choosing to give birth with no drugs, no midwife and absolutely no medical support. Supporters claim it's how having a baby was always meant to be. Doctors say this new 'freebirthing' craze carries great risks.

In this program, we chart the stories of three pregnant women who have decided to go against the advice of their doctors and go it alone. With intimate access, we follow the challenges they have to overcome from negative family opinions and medics, to their own fears and through to the eventual and extraordinary births.

http://health.discovery.com/tv/crib-...ebirthing.html
Old 03-12-2009, 07:39 PM

Hello, baby: midwifery pushes its way onto the local scene

Old 03-12-2009, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
http://www.greatfallstribune.com/app...=2009902240366

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 03-14-2009, 12:47 PM

Thought I'd share our homebirth story, it was front page news last year
Man, do I look exhausted in the picture though! That's what a mommy with a 3 day old baby looks like, lol!

http://www.simcoe.com/article/59735

I love reading about it

Me + him = DS 01/08 & DD 09/09 X2
Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 PM

There is an article from the Hopkinsville, KY newspaper about my midwife. She passed away about three weeks ago. The article mentions that she was a homebirth midwife. It's not on their site anymore. Does anyone know if it's okay if I post it here? I copied the text and emailed it to a few people.
Let me know if I should post it.
Old 07-14-2009, 12:21 AM

bump

Jen ~ DD1 (10/2006) ~ DD2 (9/2009) ~ DD3 (6/2012)
Old 07-14-2009, 01:44 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenmn View Post
bump
Thank you.

http://www.prospect.org/cs/articles;...ble_healthcare

In God we trust; all others must show data. selectivevax.gifsurf.gifteapot2.GIFintactivist.gif
Old 07-14-2009, 10:30 AM

i'm going to pop this link in the resources as well so it's easier to find...

Cat - Mother to Jonathon (1-24-1987) ; Lola (3-24-2003) ; Xiola (9-27-2005) : 8 wks (4-2008) ; 11 1/2 weeks (9-2008); and 7.5 weeks (5-2010) Nana to William (3-27-2009) Blog: AmLo Farms

User Tag List