CNM vs. CPM - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 12:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What is the difference between CNM vs. CPM? I know that CNM stands for certified nurse midwife. What does CPM stand for? How are they different in terms of how they practice?

Kylix
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 03:56 AM

CPM stands for certified professional midwife. a CNM has gone through a nursing program prior to going through midwifery training...i have heard that they have come out with a new program that combines the nursing and midwifery training for CNMs. not sure about that though, maybe someone else can comment on that. as far as differences in practice, it depends on where the midwife is practicing and the midwife's own personal philosophy and beliefs about birth. the midwifery practice i am going to right now is a couple of CPMs and a CNM. i have only had two appts with the CNM but interestingly enough, in many ways she seems more natural-minded than the CPMs.

dreads.gif and my man mischievous.gif. Momma to ds1 (11-'04) blahblah.gif, ds2 (8-'08) hammer.gif, dd (3-'12) orngtongue.gif, and Mr Blue, Chiyo, and Fireball, our 3 cat.gifnovaxnocirc.gif intactlact.gif uc.jpg

#3 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 10:25 AM

CNMs get a regular nursing degree and then go through a college training program to specialize in midwifery. CNMs may work at a hospital, bc or at home, depending on regulations for the particular state they live in.

CPMs are certified through NARM, a certification-process established by the Midwife Alliance of North America (MANA), a professional organization for non-nurse midwives. CPMs learn the trade through study and apprenticeship with an experienced midwive. They also have to take classes and get training in various things, like neonatal resuscitation.

CPMs learn the trade in homebirth settings through direct experience, whereas CNMs learn in a hospital setting, under the supervision of OBs and other midwives. So, by training, CPNs are the ones more "steeped" in natural birth from the beginning. However, that doesn't tell you anything about an individual practitioner. CNMs can also be very naturally minded... especially those bucking the system by practicing in out-of-hospital settings. They may also have the added advantage of being able to continue your care in the hospital if a transfer is necessary (this will depend on the state and your individual mw).

Not all states recognize the CPM credential. In some states, CPMs are licensed and practice according to the regulations in their states. In other states, it is illegal for any non-nurse midwife to attend a birth. In many other states, CPMs are not licensed, but are not forbidden to practice by a direct law. So, they have fewer regulations to deal with, but there is always the fear that if something goes wrong they could be prosecuted for practicing medicine without a license, and end up losing their livelihood and their freedoms.

There is also a newer certification called CM, or certified-midwife. This was introduced by the CNM group to credential midwives through a more direct-entry rather than nursing approach. There are very few CMs in the country, and I think the only state to officially license them is NY (although I may be wrong).

When choosing a provider for a homebirth, I would look at the specific qualifications and attitudes of the individual, rather than their credential. It's most important that you are comfortable with the mw and your personalities mesh. You will also want to know up-front what policies and regulations your mws follow. At what point do they risk people out? Do they do VBACs, breeches, or post-42-weeks births? Some of these things may be determined by state law, and others by the mw's individual policies, but you will want to know what they are up front. There also may be a difference in what services they can provide in terms of ordering bloodwork or ultrasounds, etc. That varies from state-to-state based on licensing regulations.

Melissa crochetsmilie.gif, wife to Tom geek.gif, mom to The Baron modifiedartist.gif, the Bean superhero.gif, Little Bear diaper.gif, and Baby Beaver babyboy.gif
#4 of 8 Old 07-30-2008, 06:25 PM

You also may want to consider if your insurance will cover your midwife. Some will cover CNMs, but not CPMs. Something else to think about if your insurance will even cover part/all of the costs.

DD (2006) and DD (2009) and pos.gif
#5 of 8 Old 08-02-2008, 04:04 PM

here is a link that describes all the different midwifes and defines the midwives model of care which is what CPM's usually follow.

http://www.familymidwifery.com/faq.html
#6 of 8 Old 08-05-2008, 04:48 AM

CM's are also licensed in NJ and may have hospital privileges.

The credential really means nothing in comparison to experience. Find someone who's done a lot of births on their own.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#7 of 8 Old 08-05-2008, 04:58 AM

Quote:
When choosing a provider for a homebirth, I would look at the specific qualifications and attitudes of the individual, rather than their credential.

: the sun is always shining here. loving life with DP and DS
#8 of 8 Old 08-05-2008, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avalonfaith View Post
:

I interviewed 2 partnerships of CPMs, A CNM partnership, and a Naturopath/MW for dd2's birth. I settled on a partnership of CPMs. I would have chosen the Naturopath if we hadn't found our CPM. For me the letters behind their name didn't matter as much as what was between their ears.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page