Homebirth Observation - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I have had 3 kids already so this is my 1st homebirth and I have been studying, researching, watching Youtube, Googling whatever I can to learn as much as I can about all this. I do have one strange question based on what I have seen so far.

Why is it that All homebirthers get completely Nude to give birth. Nobody gets naked in the hospital. Do the midwives request it or recommend for you to be naked?
#2 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:32 PM

Um, no. It's not true. Not all home birthers give birth nude. Perhaps your perception is skewed because people who are open to posting their birth videos on youtube for every stranger in the world to see are probably also more open to giving birth naked? (It's also not true that no one gets naked in the hospital, it's just more unusual).
#3 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:34 PM

I didn't get naked. I wore a bra for the birth because I couldn't stand having my breasts touch my skin. It was so hot. The rest of my labour, I wore my regular clothes.

Jam 7, Peanut Butter 5, and Bread 2.

#4 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:41 PM

I think that when your totally inhibited you do what feels right to you at the moment. Lot's of mama's take it all off in the hospital, when you are not drugged up your body takes over and you go with what it's telling you is the most comfortable at that time.

Mami to fly-by-nursing2.gifds 4 wks, ds 2yo, ds 6yo, dd 11yo, ds 17 yo. novaxnoIRC.gifwaterbirth.jpg
#5 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:43 PM

Midwives do not recommend or request that you be naked. It is all about your comfort level. The only part that needs to be naked is the bottom half and you can keep that covered until it is actually time for the baby to come out. I was dressed for the entire labor with my first home birth. It never occurred to me to get undressed. I didn't take my shorts off until my daughter was ready to come out.

I doubt that the clothed home birthers are out there posting themselves all over the internet.

I am sure that some people would rather be nude in the hospital but I doubt that they would let you.
#6 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:47 PM

Hmm. Well I was completely naked for my hospital birth w/DS#1. I was clothed (tank top and undies) until it was time to get into the pool to birth DS#2. And then I was in just a sports bra.

My midwives could've cared less both in the hospital and at home whether or not I was wearing clothes.

My guess is women who are willing to post their births online are generally less inhibited people and therefore may be more inclined to be naked for labor and birth.

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1
#7 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:52 PM

I was naked in the hospital! I'm not sure the nurses knew what to think, but I just got really hot at the very end and ripped off my robe during pushing. No one said anything, just helped me get it off, and that was that. I felt like an animal, and modesty was the last thing on my mind.

I would definitely be naked at a home birth, too, though. But then again, I've always like being naked.
#8 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:56 PM

I was naked for my first hb but not for my second. It just didn't happen that way. I think it really depends on the person. Some people are more nudists on a day-to-day basis anyhow.
#9 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 03:59 PM

I am not an exhibitionist.... but I got nude.
My dad was there too! I was wearing a long loose top, but I just go SO HOT that I ripped it off and threw it across the room. Bye-bye modesty!

In a hopsital, many women are in a gown, and then hooked up to a million things. Not as easy to rip off the offending garment. Also, was safe and comfy at my house, so my thinking brain was off. In a hosp, I might have been less in my body and more in my head, and kept covered.

Mom to two intact boys, born at home. DS1 11/07, DS2 9/10
#10 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 PM

I never gave birth nude.
#11 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 04:31 PM

I was completely naked for my hospital birth.

But then, I was in the shower/tub for a bit there. That's the key for me. Once I get naked to get in the water, putting clothes back ON in the midst of having contractions just doesn't occur to me.
#12 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 04:36 PM

I plan to be clothed until I get in the pool, and then I will wear either a bra or a tank top in the pool so that pictures don't show my boobs. And then, I am not one to post my birth on you tube either...so you won't see it there!

Mommy to 6 year old dd and almost 2 year old ds, working to become happy every day and healthy along the way!
#13 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 04:42 PM

I wore a sports bra and was also in the water. I wore a loose, lightweight skirt for much of labor and then took it off to get in the water.

I felt very SAFE and COVERED in the water which helped me relax for birthing.

Angela <><
#14 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prothyraia View Post
I was completely naked for my hospital birth.

But then, I was in the shower/tub for a bit there. That's the key for me. Once I get naked to get in the water, putting clothes back ON in the midst of having contractions just doesn't occur to me.
That was me with birth #3. Once you are in the midst of contractions, clothes just don't seem to even be on the radar unless they are in the way.
#15 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

You make a good point about the level of modesty in general about the type of women that post births on you tube.

I just wondered if you should be naked for any type of monitoring "eyes, hands" since the traditional monitoring isn't used.

Its good to know that its optional because I dont think I would like it and I also want to have lots of pictures taken and definitly not TOPLESS.

Thanks for the reasurrance. This is definitly the place to come to find people that know what they are talking about. Im glad I found this board.
#16 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 05:19 PM

I did not plan to be but I was butt naked for my hospital birth and the midwives didn't bat an eyelash. I plan to wear some kind of top or bra in the water this time at home but if I decide to take it off I'll just go with it and not be embarrassed.

Mother. Doula. Writer. Feminist. Activist. 
Mum to Moo Moo (4) blahblah.gifand EJ (2) bftoddler.gif

#17 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 05:36 PM
wbg

I was very naked for my first birth which was in hospital. I laboured a lot in the shower and just did not want to get dressed to push. This pattern continued with all my births! My fourth was at home and in a pool. I liked being naked so that baby could just lie on my chest and latch on straight away, but to be honest, I never actively planned to be naked, it just always felt right. I got dressed pretty soon after though. Once I come out of labourland...I can't help feeling very self conscious!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#18 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 05:51 PM

I am normally a very modest person, but when I was in labor w/ my son in the hospital, I was nude. I didn't like the feel of clothing. So unlike me. I always have to have clothes on, especially in the winter (he was born in Jan.). I expect I will be naked again next time I'm in labor.

Maybe part of it is getting into a tub too. There was a whirlpool tub at the hospital.

Expecting a boy? Be sure to check out MDC's Case Against Circumcision!
#19 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 07:00 PM

I wore a long shirt the whole time for my midwife assisted homebirth. During my UC birth I was naked but there was no one there to see it except dh and dd occasionally.
#20 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 08:32 PM

With this birth, like my first, I plan on having a tank top or sports bra on....I didn't feel comfortable naked completely and I truely don't think I will this time either.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#21 of 35 Old 08-05-2008, 11:30 PM

In the comfort of your own home, you're probably more likely to feel less inhibited and get naked. In a cold hospital where strangers are constantly coming in and out...not so much.

I've seen plenty of HB videos where mama was wearing a sports bra or tank. I've also seen some totally nude hospital birth photos. It's all personal preference.
#22 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 12:54 AM

I was probably one of the naked birthers you saw on youtube. I origninally tried to set it up as a private account and couldn't get it to work. So I just posted it as is. I've had to delete some crude comments about my birth.

I'm just more comfortable birthing in the buff. My first dd was born in the hosptial and was naked for that birth too. My dh said he offered me a hospital gown and I told him. "NO!" I don't remember that at all. I think that I made some of the hospital personnel nervous because I was birthing in the nude.

It's definately not a requirement to birth in the nude. I don't think my midwives cared either way what I was wearing.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#23 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 02:02 AM

I plan on having a bra on and possibly a tank over that (I had DD breasts before getting preggo and have no idea how big they are now but I have to keep them tucked away) I will also be wearing a mid thigh skirt that is made out of fabric that is similar to swim suit material during labor and birth. A lady from my moms church would like to come and observe as she has only had hospital births and is interested is seeing the homebirth experience. I wouldn't mind being nude with just DH and Ds but my momma will be there and like I mentioned her friend so yeah I will keep covered up. Plus then I can show off my amazing HB video and pictures without feeling embarrassed later.

Nichole, wife to Kris SAHM to Timothy : :10-11-03, Hosanna , Seraphim 8-17-08 : caught by Grandma! Faith 1-4-10 : Caught by Daddy!
#24 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 12:36 PM

I'm fairly modest normally, but in birth, I was naked at the hospital and at home. At the hospital, I took clothes off to get in the tub and refused to put them back on. I didn't even think about it until I was preparing for the second birth 4 years later! At home, I figured it would just be the same, so I didn't worry. I considered wearing a sports bra/tank, but I really don't like the feeling of wet clothes, so I didn't pursue that thought. Ironically, there were more people at my hb (a friend, but not **that** good of a friend), and we have pictures of me holding the baby with boobs right there! I was probably a little embarrassed after the fact, but upon reflection, it doesn't bother me because birth *to me* is a celebration of the human body. '

We had our pictures on the internet ... and for a little while, our site was messed up so anyone who typed in our domain name went DIRECTLY to that boob shot first! Some friend of my DH pointed it out - and my DH wasn't bothered. The friend was horrified, though! We did immediately fix it because our site was linked from a non-profit website that we were associated with ... and that wasn't really appropriate FUNNY, though, I thought!

This time, i think I want more pictures, maybe video. Haven't thought it through, but I guess we'll talk about it - and see how "out there" we want my boobs to be.

--janis

Mama to 3 girls 12,8,3
#25 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amandamcgrady View Post

I just wondered if you should be naked for any type of monitoring "eyes, hands" since the traditional monitoring isn't used.
I am laughing my fool head off at this use of the word 'traditional'.

That aside, I don't have a plan in general about clothes or not. I don't really think I'd be likely to have much on, though, and haven't in the past.
#26 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 12:41 PM

I was nude for 90% of dd's birth - in a hospital.

I was nude for maybe 30% of ds's birth - at home.

I think honestly for me it depends on the time of year. DD was an August baby, I would have been nude ANYWHERE, it was so hot. DS was a March baby, and I got cold fairly easily. This one's coming in November, and I anticipate being clothed unless I'm in the pool.

Kash, homeschooling mommy to Gillian (8/5/00) and Jacob (3/23/05)
and Brigid Eleanor (11/20/08)
#27 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unoppressed MAMA Q View Post
I am laughing my fool head off at this use of the word 'traditional'.

That aside, I don't have a plan in general about clothes or not. I don't really think I'd be likely to have much on, though, and haven't in the past.
I am VERY new to this site... Did I say something not accepted here. By traditional I mean all the stuff they strap to you in the hospital, the blood pressure, they measure your contractions, etc.

Whats the joke?
#28 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
I am VERY new to this site... Did I say something not accepted here. By traditional I mean all the stuff they strap to you in the hospital, the blood pressure, they measure your contractions, etc.

Whats the joke?
Perhaps the word you are searching for is "conventional" monitoring. Traditional monitoring would be an ear pressed up to the mother's abdomen.

Heather Mike Married 8/1/99 Mom to Charlotte Aug 04, Nov 06, and Katherine Oct 07
#29 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 02:15 PM

Quote:

Whats the joke?
All the stuff we think of now as "traditional" as far as birth goes is really very very new. And the more unconventional things (i.e. homebirth) have a much longer track record.
#30 of 35 Old 08-06-2008, 04:39 PM - Thread Starter

I definitly "meant" conventional. Thanks for explaining. I was feeling a little self concious didn't know why I was being made fun of......

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page