Nick Nolte - Homebirth Advocate! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-08-2008, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did anyone see him on Leno last night? He talked a long time about how his partner had just had a baby and how she had her at home. It was so cool because he went into detail about how she was sitting up using gravity and such so her sacrum could open which just can't happen in a hospital flat on your back. You could tell he was totally into it and well read. It was neat.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2008, 06:52 PM

I think that may do more to harm the cause than good! That dude is totally nuts!

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 08-08-2008, 06:53 PM

That's what I was thinking. Alas...
Old 08-08-2008, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Megan~ View Post
I think that may do more to harm the cause than good! That dude is totally nuts!

Sorry - gotta comment here. Jsut because the man is an alcoholic and may have soem mental health issues doe not mean that he isnt' well read and informed on some issues.

I'm a mental health patient, and I've had issues - many many peopel think I'm a basket case and have judged me negatively for it. Doesnt' mean I'm incapable of making an informed choice about how and where I want to birth.
Old 08-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Darn. I was watching Leno last night but turned it off just before he came on. I'm thrilled to hear he was talking about homebirth! The man just went up a notch in my eyes! Lots of people have substance abuse problems. Perhaps witnessing this wonderful birth will help him to heal.
Laura
Old 08-08-2008, 09:43 PM - Thread Starter

I dunno, the guy seemed totally sane last night. Especially compared to Carrot Top who came on next lol. Plus it was very obvious he knew his stuff regarding birth. It was neat. He was also talking about what a miracle his little baby is and how powerful and energizing the room is during a birth. He just sounded like a really excited dad to me.

The only weird thing is he said he got into the birth tub totally naked lol. Not an image I wanted in my head haha.

Rachel, mom to Jake (5/04) and Alexia (7/07) a surprise UC thanks to hypnobabies!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:53 PM

My husband was naked in the tub for my homebirth.

Laura, CBE and mom to Maddiewaterbirth.jpg ( 06/03/04) & Graceuc.jpg (  09/10/06)

Old 08-09-2008, 01:35 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeBirthGirl View Post
My husband was naked in the tub for my homebirth.

For your UC or your mw attended birth? I think it is totally normal or acceptable or whatever to be in the tub naked but I do think it's a little odd for the partner to strip down naked in front of the midwives. Nick Nolte said there were 3 midwives in attendance of the birth.

Old 08-09-2008, 02:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mommy StormRaven View Post
Sorry - gotta comment here. Jsut because the man is an alcoholic and may have soem mental health issues doe not mean that he isnt' well read and informed on some issues.
true but public perception is that he is crazy (have you seen some of his recent interviews?) and it does the HB movement no good to have that sort of advocate. people already assume we are nuts and/or irresponsible for HBing, having Nick Nolte promote it perpetuates that myth

nak

Mom of a 7 yr old, 4 yr old, and 1 yr old. Wow. How did that happen?
Old 08-09-2008, 02:32 AM

ah well...

because homebirth is an option that everyone should have, we can't get picky and criticize those who do it when we decide they don't have the right image.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurashanley View Post
Darn. I was watching Leno last night but turned it off just before he came on. I'm thrilled to hear he was talking about homebirth! The man just went up a notch in my eyes! Lots of people have substance abuse problems. Perhaps witnessing this wonderful birth will help him to heal.
Laura
i agree
Old 08-09-2008, 10:02 AM

I just watched the clip on NBC.com, you can select a chapter of the show, instead of watching all of it. He was so stoked! That was really neat to see. I remember the high my husband was on in the days and weeks after our son was born, it was so sweet!
Old 08-09-2008, 03:38 PM

I was *so* upset I missed this. I heard "Carrot Top and Nick Nolte were up next and I and bolted for bed for the night LOL!

The next morning when I got up, I found an email left by my husband detailing how lucid and in depth Mr Nolte seemed when he discussed the awesome experience he and his partner had with their homebirth.

I had the same knee jerk reaction that maybe this isn't the best person to be a homebirth spokesperson but really that is just judgmental on my part and not such a good thing for me to decide. He and his partner gave this baby a wonderful and peaceful beginning start to life and he was just as excited as any homebirth dad.

Way to go, Nick Nolte!

Kendra in WA (who still thinks "Three Fugitives" was one of the funniest movies ever done!)
Old 08-09-2008, 03:53 PM

on w/Jay Leno. It's an online tape of the whole show. I don't know how to get only Mr Nolte.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Tonight_Show_...episodes.shtml
Old 08-09-2008, 03:56 PM

Okay, I read this thread and I was thinking this was GARY BUSEY. I always get him and Nick Nolte confused. Not until I watched it did I realize who he was. I am so happy it's him and NOT Gary Busey because man that guy IS out of it. So i looked it up on NBC.com like Hippiwannabe suggested and it was great! Jay Leno didn't even ask him any stupid questions like "isn't that dangerous" or anything.

I will say, however that my husband watched it too and asked "Is he drunk?" about halfway though. I really couldn't tell.

Elizabeth, mama to 4 kids and 5 chickens.
The grateful recipient of 3 home water births, 1 being an accidental UC.:
Old 08-09-2008, 03:59 PM
wbg

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
ah well...

because homebirth is an option that everyone should have, we can't get picky and criticize those who do it when we decide they don't have the right image.
I agree.

I think we put too much emphasis on celebrities and what they do. They are perfect strangers after all. We have no idea who they really are, just what the press lead us to believe. And if all our lives were put under such intense scrutiny, we probably all would not make such great home birth role models! We have all messed up or done something ridiculous at some or other point. We all journeyed to home birth a different route.

"Okay, I read this thread and I was thinking this was GARY BUSEY. I always get him and Nick Nolte confused."

Me too!!

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
Old 08-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Cool

Mama to 9 so far:Mother of Joey (20), Dominick (13), Abigail (11), Angelo (8), Mylee (6), Delainey (3), Colton (2) and Baby 8 and Baby 9 coming sometime in July 2013.   If evolution were true, mothers would have three arms!

Old 08-09-2008, 04:42 PM

"some of the midwives were very knowledgeable, one was kind of spacey"... um, no, not a rousing endorsement.
Old 08-09-2008, 05:38 PM

Nashvillemidwife, he went on to say some very kind things. Did you not think so? To me, I thought maybe his definition of spacey was more that she was very in tune with the birth process and able to allow mother to work in the way she was most comfortable. He said that she didn't keep watching her clock, she gave lots of time for the miracle of birth rather than "gotta get this done, gotta get to the golf course" LOL! I think that whole statement was more a slam on OBs

I can see your point though.. Spacey was not the best word to use but I guess he was speaking from his heart more than an educated birth advocate might speak from his/her heart *and* head knowing how important it all really is.

Kendra in WA
Old 08-09-2008, 07:32 PM

Nolte's mental status aside, I thought it was a nice interview. And at the very least perhaps it will get at least one person to realize there are options in childbirth.

I thought it was cute how tickled Leno was at the mention of the tub being in the bedroom and filled up with water from a hose. lol
Old 08-10-2008, 08:29 PM

whether or not we should care about celebrity lives and choices we live in a culture in the united states anyways, that cares a lot about celebrities. and hopefully the more puiblicity homebirth gets the more folks will consider it for themselves or at least not judge it as crazy for other people to do.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:48 PM

But it's hard to not judge it as crazy when the people who are endorsing it seem to be crazy. That just feed the myths and stereotypes. We live in a culture that not only cares a lot about what the celebrities are doing, but relishes judging them for it.
Old 08-10-2008, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

With all my real life friends and family though no one really follows any of this celeb stuff and I'm the "black sheep" of the family. All my friends and family are mainstream and they all pay about as much attention to celeb things as me: I read the headlines in the line at the grocery store, I don't even pick up the mag so many times I can only read half the headline. I had no idea Nick Nolte was considered "crazy." I remember that funny mug shot of his from years and years ago but it seems every celeb has a mug shot. To me, he's just this actor who's been in a bunch of movies I liked long ago. :

Old 08-10-2008, 09:04 PM

Not only is he considered "crazy", but he did indeed seem to be impaired during his Leno appearance.

I want to make it very clear that I am not judging the man, but acknowledging that we live in a culture where celebrities (and regular folk) are indeed judged eagerly and harshly by the general public. If you don't believe me, check out the archives on this very board for speculation, discussion, and judgment about Angelina Jolie's decision not to VBAC her twins (and contrast it with the general public's disapproval of her choice to eschew "the best" in American health care and have her first baby in a third world country).
Old 08-10-2008, 09:07 PM

I thought is was a really good interview. He explained things in a way that most people could understand. And with such enthusiasm.
We as HB advocates pick apart and critique these interviews. We want them to say all the "right" things. But what he was saying was coming from his heart. He said he didn't even want to leave the room for like a month! That's one, in love daddy!

Kelly : mama to Austin and Isabella Wife to Rockin'Rollin'Rick :
Old 08-10-2008, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janasmama View Post
ah well...

ITA.
Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelsi View Post
I remember that funny mug shot of his from years and years ago but it seems every celeb has a mug shot. To me, he's just this actor who's been in a bunch of movies I liked long ago. :
I went and did quick search - and it does seem like almost every familiar name has a mug shot. http://www.thesmokinggun.com/mugshots/index.html
Old 08-10-2008, 09:23 PM

No one here is criticizing the man because his partner had a home birth! Quite the contrary. We're simply lamenting that it's unfortunate he's not the most respectable of spokesmen for the cause.
Old 08-11-2008, 01:07 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Who, in your eyes, would be respectable?

Cindy Crawford, Kenny Loggins' wife, Graham Nash's wife, Pamela Anderson, Kelly *******, Carole King, Joyce Maynard all had home births. One of Pat Boone's daughters was delivered by my midwife (no, not Debbie). The list can go on (there is an old thread about this). Are they respectable? I am just happy for them.

What matters to me is that I had 4 home births and they were successful. I am glad I made the choice and it worked out well for me. I did not need a spokesman. I would wish the same for any other woman so motivated.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
Old 08-11-2008, 03:57 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by applejuice View Post
Who, in your eyes, would be respectable?

Cindy Crawford, Kenny Loggins' wife, Graham Nash's wife, Pamela Anderson, Kelly *******, Carole King, Joyce Maynard all had home births. One of Pat Boone's daughters was delivered by my midwife (no, not Debbie). The list can go on (there is an old thread about this). Are they respectable? I am just happy for them.

What matters to me is that I had 4 home births and they were successful. I am glad I made the choice and it worked out well for me. I did not need a spokesman. I would wish the same for any other woman so motivated.

User Tag List