Spa N A Box, Birth Pool in a Box or La Bassine??? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
These are the 3 birth pools available for me to rent for my birth... If anyone has used any of these could you please give me your opinion or which would be the best choice? Money isn't really an issue and I had my last baby in my bathtub so I don't even really know what I would like or need in a birth pool...

The Spa N A Box is heated and jetted, which seems great, but my midwife said that a major drawback is that the sides and bottom aren't padded. I guess I could just put towels down or something though??

The other 2 aren't heated or jetted, but look very comfy since they are inflatable...

Which would be your choice?

Thanks in advance for any input!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 11:10 AM
wbg

I used the la bassine and found it very comfortable! I do not have very long labours though, so water temp was not really an issue! i have not tried the others so I can't compare. But I LOVED my water birth and the la bassine was just a lovely place for a baby to swim into! Good luck.

wbg...constantly amazed by Z , cherishing I , inspired by P , adoring K and still getting butterflies when I wake up with B !
#3 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 11:38 AM

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I haven't seen/heard of the other 2, but I will climb a mountain and sing praises for the La Bassine pool! It is phenomenal and perfect, with no unnecessary bells and whistles. I birthed in it, and have lent it to 4 mamas to birth in it as well. It sits in my closet awaiting my next birth.

What are the price differences?

Peaceful mama to three blissfully-birthed and incredible small people: dd10, dd7 and ds5. Always awed and so thankful to be a midwife.
#4 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 02:42 PM

I used the La Bassine. It was very comfy and I changed positions a lot. My labor was short so water temp was not and issue although we would've just added hot water if needed. I would definitely recommend it.

''''

#5 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 03:10 PM

La Bassine.
#6 of 8 Old 08-12-2008, 05:25 PM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
I used the Sevylor which is the same shape at La Bassine. It costs only $35 to buy.
#7 of 8 Old 08-17-2008, 11:34 PM

I think LaBassine and BPIAB are very comparable. But BPIAB is deeper by a couple of inches I believe. I birthed in a BPIAB and it was absolute heaven! I used all three sets of handles in various positions and I also used the seat to put my leg up on when I was trying to change positions for the shoulder dystocia we had. It was also deep enough for me. When I was trying to decide, I figured if I wanted less water, I could have less water. But if I wanted deeper water, I wouldn't have that option w/Labassine. I'd go with either of the inflateds though. The padded bottom was soo nice on my knees after laboring on land.

Just my two cents, but I LOVED my BPIAB (regular size).

Aly - wife to Mike Step-mommy and mommy to 4 wonderful kiddos! 11, 10, 4 and 1
#8 of 8 Old 08-18-2008, 01:15 AM

I've used and actually owned and subsequently rented the Spa-in-a-Box. Personally I think it's the best choice out there for several reasons. The sides are totally strong - it's no problem to sit or lean on them (I did plenty of leaning over the sides of the tub). It doesn't feel hard (granted mine was on a carpeted floor both times), there's plenty of room to move around in during labor (I sort of would pace back and forth like a cat I guess) and it's plenty roomy for someone else to be in there to catch, if you want (my dh did), it not only maintains the heat of the water but can heat it too if needed, I love that it has the soft locking cover (to keep pets/kids out and heat in), the jets are fine although I've never used them *during* labor and haven't known others to do that but I guess that's just personal preference, and it was wonderful to relax in it in the days/weeks leading up to my births. Oh, and the depth is fantastic.

Mama to four remarkable kiddos, all born at home.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page