Comfrey pads for postpartum - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 08-18-2008, 10:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Did you make pads soaked in comfrey for after your birth? If so, how did you do it?
My mom and I did frozen gauze soaked in comfrey for use after ds1s birth but they froze funny and were really uncomfortable. I want to use comfrey again but want to make sure I am doing it right
TIA
April

xposted in I'm Pregnant

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#2 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 09:56 AM

subbing

Mom to DD#1 8/04, nursed 43 months, DD#2 8/06, nursed 21 months and DD#3 9/08, still nursing strong
#3 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 10:08 AM

I did witch hazel. The key is to not over-soak them. I think a better word for them might be "dampened and frozen." You don't want to over-moisten or you'll utilize all the pad's absorbency before you use it, and it will turn into a comfrey/witch hazel popsicle.

I just dampened the pads---I don't know, maybe 2-3 Tbs.?---and then froze them draped over a bowl so they would have a curved shape. Heavenly!!

Make sure you have someone around who knows how to make more in case you run out.

Jen

signcirc1.gif  winner.jpg    Jen  read.gif mom to three boys    jumpers.gif   and partner to malesling.GIF.   

#4 of 11 Old 08-19-2008, 10:56 AM

You can also put a few tablespoons right onto maternity pads (if you're going to use a preformed type--whether cloth or synthetic), and freeze. But I agree, you don't totally soak the thing, whatever you use.

You *can soak a washcloth or gauze pad, however, for use as a warm or room temp compress.
#5 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter

bump - anyone else?

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
#6 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 03:41 PM

Okay....so for the complete noob and pregnancy brain afflicted, I'm now going to ask a pretty silly question.

So, I get that you don't want to actually soak them in the witch hazel. But, how do you do it then?

I have some witch hazel leaves, and I was going to boil them into a tea like substance and then dip the pads (cloth) in and freeze, but it sounds like that's not what I want to do.

Help?

Wife 6/2005, Mommy 9/2008 to DD and 1/2011 to DS:
sci-fi loving, theater loving, lawyer mama.
#7 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbond View Post
Okay....so for the complete noob and pregnancy brain afflicted, I'm now going to ask a pretty silly question.

So, I get that you don't want to actually soak them in the witch hazel. But, how do you do it then?

I have some witch hazel leaves, and I was going to boil them into a tea like substance and then dip the pads (cloth) in and freeze, but it sounds like that's not what I want to do.

Help?
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
You can also put a few tablespoons right onto maternity pads (if you're going to use a preformed type--whether cloth or synthetic), and freeze. But I agree, you don't totally soak the thing, whatever you use.
Does this answer your question?

I was thinking of just making the mixture (I plan on using a mixture of comfrey and witchhazel) in a pot - then using a ladel to spoon some of the mixture on to/into the pad then freezing it over a bowl.
But I am still waiting to see what mamas who have btdt did.

#8 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 10:14 PM

See I was wondering the same thing... how to put it on, because I'm planning on using Feme pads inside my pad.

http://www.thegentlenest.com/products2.html Scroll down for the feme pads. And a mama is making something similar to this for me to put the feme pad in. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...99/mamapad.jpg

I got the idea from the HB supplies thread.

I'm not freezing the pad, so how the heck do I put the comfrey on there?

Sarah. Wife to Pearry, mama to Pearry II and Isabella Rose, born Breech at home and Benjamin, our January 1st bebe intactlact.gifhomebirth.jpg

#9 of 11 Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 PM

I had some pp herbal bath that I soaked my pads in, then when that ran out I used comfrey. I put the liquid in a huge bowl and completely soaked an always ultra thin overnight pad, then squeezed it out. Then I wrapped each one in aluminum foil and put it in the freezer. My MW took them out when I was pushing. Its best to take them out a little before you'll need them. I tried one right out of the freezer and it was way too cold! The comfrey made me really itchy/irritated for some reason. It could have been the timing and just my stitches healing but I stopped using it after a day.

Zen doula-mama to my spirited DS1 (2/03), my CHD (TAPVR) warrior DS2 (6/07) & a gentle baby girl (8/09)
#10 of 11 Old 10-12-2008, 02:45 AM

My comfrey pad 'recipe'...

I use Kotex pads since they don't have that 'dri-weave' crap on them hahaha.

I get a pot of water on the stove, add comfrey leaves straight to water...maybe a full handful to 1/2gal of water? I don't measure much....

I let it come to a boil, then reduce heat and let steep.
The stronger the better...
Then I get the pad opened, and spoon out 4-6 TBSPs of tea all over the pad...and I add some leaves too.
The pad seems pretty saturated.
I then refold the pad and slip it back into it's plastic wrapping.
I throw a batch into a gallon ziplock and into the freezer.

When ready to use, it is good to get the pad out to 'thaw' for about 3-5min just so you can unfold them...I put my thumbs in the crease and bend--if the pad tears a bit, no biggie.
the pad kinda fits your body with the creases anyways...
I've never had an issue with it being TOO cold--maybe there is enough comfrey leaf there to be a barrier. I've never had an issue with the leaves causing irritation, but I can see how that might.
I SWEAR by these pads though...they are truly amazing!
#11 of 11 Old 10-12-2008, 09:43 PM

I plan on making a mixture and putting it in a spray bottle and then spraying a thin layer of the mizture on the top of the pad and then freezing. To avoid the problem of oversaturating. i think the spray will be easier to control.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page