Mothering Forum banner

Comfrey pads for postpartum

5K views 10 replies 9 participants last post by  munkeesmama 
#1 ·
Did you make pads soaked in comfrey for after your birth? If so, how did you do it?
My mom and I did frozen gauze soaked in comfrey for use after ds1s birth but they froze funny and were really uncomfortable. I want to use comfrey again but want to make sure I am doing it right
TIA
April

xposted in I'm Pregnant

#3 ·
I did witch hazel. The key is to not over-soak them. I think a better word for them might be "dampened and frozen." You don't want to over-moisten or you'll utilize all the pad's absorbency before you use it, and it will turn into a comfrey/witch hazel popsicle.

I just dampened the pads---I don't know, maybe 2-3 Tbs.?---and then froze them draped over a bowl so they would have a curved shape. Heavenly!!

Make sure you have someone around who knows how to make more in case you run out.

Jen

#4 ·
You can also put a few tablespoons right onto maternity pads (if you're going to use a preformed type--whether cloth or synthetic), and freeze. But I agree, you don't totally soak the thing, whatever you use.

You *can soak a washcloth or gauze pad, however, for use as a warm or room temp compress.

#6 ·
Okay....so for the complete noob and pregnancy brain afflicted, I'm now going to ask a pretty silly question.

So, I get that you don't want to actually soak them in the witch hazel. But, how do you do it then?

I have some witch hazel leaves, and I was going to boil them into a tea like substance and then dip the pads (cloth) in and freeze, but it sounds like that's not what I want to do.

Help?

#7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by kbond View Post
Okay....so for the complete noob and pregnancy brain afflicted, I'm now going to ask a pretty silly question.

So, I get that you don't want to actually soak them in the witch hazel. But, how do you do it then?

I have some witch hazel leaves, and I was going to boil them into a tea like substance and then dip the pads (cloth) in and freeze, but it sounds like that's not what I want to do.

Help?

Quote:

Originally Posted by MsBlack View Post
You can also put a few tablespoons right onto maternity pads (if you're going to use a preformed type--whether cloth or synthetic), and freeze. But I agree, you don't totally soak the thing, whatever you use.
Does this answer your question?

I was thinking of just making the mixture (I plan on using a mixture of comfrey and witchhazel) in a pot - then using a ladel to spoon some of the mixture on to/into the pad then freezing it over a bowl.
But I am still waiting to see what mamas who have btdt did.

#8 ·
#9 ·
I had some pp herbal bath that I soaked my pads in, then when that ran out I used comfrey. I put the liquid in a huge bowl and completely soaked an always ultra thin overnight pad, then squeezed it out. Then I wrapped each one in aluminum foil and put it in the freezer. My MW took them out when I was pushing. Its best to take them out a little before you'll need them. I tried one right out of the freezer and it was way too cold! The comfrey made me really itchy/irritated for some reason. It could have been the timing and just my stitches healing but I stopped using it after a day.

#10 ·
My comfrey pad 'recipe'...

I use Kotex pads since they don't have that 'dri-weave' crap on them hahaha.

I get a pot of water on the stove, add comfrey leaves straight to water...maybe a full handful to 1/2gal of water? I don't measure much....

I let it come to a boil, then reduce heat and let steep.
The stronger the better...
Then I get the pad opened, and spoon out 4-6 TBSPs of tea all over the pad...and I add some leaves too.
The pad seems pretty saturated.
I then refold the pad and slip it back into it's plastic wrapping.
I throw a batch into a gallon ziplock and into the freezer.

When ready to use, it is good to get the pad out to 'thaw' for about 3-5min just so you can unfold them...I put my thumbs in the crease and bend--if the pad tears a bit, no biggie.
the pad kinda fits your body with the creases anyways...
I've never had an issue with it being TOO cold--maybe there is enough comfrey leaf there to be a barrier. I've never had an issue with the leaves causing irritation, but I can see how that might.
I SWEAR by these pads though...they are truly amazing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.