Help me find homebirth info for Ohio! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-04-2008, 01:20 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It appears that I live in a very backward state, that is surrounded by equally backward states As far as I can tell, homebirth is not illegal, but we have no certification available for MWs, and DEMs can face legal action for assisting a homebirth...but I haven't been able to confirm this. DH is not yet on board and he will be very much not on board if he feels that we are doing something "illegal"!

I'm wondering if anyone here has information about homebirth in Ohio. I couldn't find anything on the MANA website or in my Google search. Thanks!

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2008, 03:24 AM

I don't know anything myself, but I would suggest cross-posting in the Ohio section of the Finding Your Tribe forum, they may have more in-depth info. I know I've read a bit about Ohio lately but I cannot remember what I read...
Old 10-04-2008, 04:08 AM

Hey there! I live in NE Ohio and can probably help you. will PM you with my personal info. Yes, this state is messed up. Never would have known it until I started having babies. But there are some GREAT women here that can help.
Old 10-06-2008, 01:01 PM

I am in north central ohio, PM me if i can help

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

Old 10-06-2008, 01:40 PM

Yes, we recently had a midwife here in Cincinnati that was convicted of practicing advanced nursing without a license. You can check out http://www.safebirthohio.org/ for more on that. It's really hard to find midwives unless you know the "right" people, which isn't the way it should be, but for the midwives' protection it kind of has to be.

SAHM to Declan (12/12/06) and Blythe (2/9/09)
Old 10-06-2008, 03:27 PM

It is very frustrating that it's so hard to find people to help you with what you want. Luckily my MIL had homebirths and is still in the network of people, so usually if you can connect with one person then you can find the "network" sometimes, it just takes some digging.

Melissa-Mama to Allyson carrot.gif 1-22-07 and Katelyn homebirth.jpg 5-14-09 and Paul 1-2-12 my 10 lb 6oz. homebirthed baby boy.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:37 AM

Hey! I'm in Columbus, and I know/know of a number of midwives. Where are you?
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM - Thread Starter

Shamelessly bumping

Now that I'm pregnant I'm on a more "real" hunt for a MW! I have one interview lined up, but I want to interview a couple of people to see who is the best "fit".

A CNM would be great - for insurance reasons only! - but I'm open to DEMs as well!

Anyone have any names?

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM

PM'd ya! I don't know of any where you are, but my DEM will know of some, I just emailed her, so I'll get back to you when I know. I highly doubt that you are going to find a CNM to do it.

Old 10-29-2008, 12:14 PM

I just pm'd as well- all DEMs.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I live near Cincinnati. PM me if you live near here and I can get you in touch with a CNM who does homebirths.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 10-30-2008, 01:16 AM

I don't think a CNM can legally do a homebirth in Ohio. From what I understand, it's not legal or illegal for a CPM to attend a homebirth in Ohio. After the MW getting in trouble in the Cincinnai area, my MW didn't want her name to be on the birth certificate, so we listed my husband as the birth attendant, no big deal.

It can be tough to find a CPM here. You might want to go to a La Leche League meeting and talk to some moms afterwards. You may find a connection that way. I found mine through my Bradley Instructor. When I was inquiring, a lot of people said they'd talk to their midwife first to make sure it was okay and then give me their number.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMama View Post
I don't think a CNM can legally do a homebirth in Ohio.
Yes they can. I have met a CNM personally who does homebirths. CPMs are alegal in OH and I know there are at least 3 MANA members in the Cincinnati area. Of course, they may be harder to find now that a CPM got into trouble for attending a homebirth.

ETA: Took down the link in my previous post because the website seems to be down. I'll repost it if it comes back up or if I find her new site.

Mandy, )O(  Proud mommy of Taylor (1/6/05) jammin.gifand Abigail (4/21/11) slinggirl.gif
Loving wife of my gamer boy Michael. modifiedartist.gifBlog link in my profile! ribboncesarean.gif
Old 10-30-2008, 01:42 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Yes they can. I have met a CNM personally who does homebirths. CPMs are alegal in OH and I know there are at least 3 MANA members in the Cincinnati area. Of course, they may be harder to find now that a CPM got into trouble for attending a homebirth.

ETA: Took down the link in my previous post because the website seems to be down. I'll repost it if it comes back up or if I find her new site.
Everyone I've been able to find has been a DEM ~ do you know how I would find a CPM or (even better, for insurance reasons) a CNM? I have an appt. with a CNM from my OB's practice but as far as I know they only do hospital births. Can CNMs attend hospital and homebirths? I'm having trouble finding information on this - some people say it's not illegal for CNMs but is for CPMs, some (like you! ) say it's "alegal", some say that CNMs will lose hospital privileges if they attend homebirths as well. And while we're talking legality, what is the legal status of using a DEM (for her and for me)? So confusing!

Oh, and I do go to LLL (actually I'm a leader!) but the 2 women in our group who have had homebirths have used a DEM (who I am interviewing in a couple of weeks). One of those ladies is the one who told me that homebirth is "illegal" in Ohio, so now I'm just extra confused!

Old 10-30-2008, 01:58 AM

Check out MANA's website. If you email them, they'll send you their members' contact info for Ohio.

Old 10-30-2008, 12:19 PM

I'll try to answer your questions. Homebirth is legal *everywhere* in the US for the mother. Homebirth is legal for a CNM in Ohio, but they must have physician backup, and the few in my area who had that have since lost that backup due to increased malpractice insurance costs for the backing MD. So homebirth with a CNM is no longer a choice in my area (Cincinnati), and many areas. CPM's and DEM's are not a seperate category in Ohio (A CPM is really a certification, an attempt to 'standardize' a level of knowledge for a midwife, and either a DEM or even a CNM could hold that certification, if they chose to)- both are alegal. This does not mean the state can't/won't prosecute a midwife if it wants to.

Minkajane, I think I know who you are referring to. That particular midwife has a master's in nurse midwifery, but is not a CNM because she did not obtain her license. I don't mean to speak for her, but I believe she did not obtain her license intentionally so that she could provide homebirths w/out official physician back up (which is not to say that she doesn't have unofficial backup, as she does.), thus no license for the state to take away should they want to do that. She cannot legally say (nor does she) that she is a CNM providing homebirth. The only CNM's who did homebirths in Cinci were the Northside midwives, and they shut their doors several years ago.

All that said, there are DEMS in the state, and MANA is a great place to find them.
Old 10-30-2008, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by minkajane View Post
Check out MANA's website. If you email them, they'll send you their members' contact info for Ohio.
Thank you! I just sent them an email so hopefully I will hear back soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanydear View Post
I'll try to answer your questions. Homebirth is legal *everywhere* in the US for the mother. Homebirth is legal for a CNM in Ohio, but they must have physician backup, and the few in my area who had that have since lost that backup due to increased malpractice insurance costs for the backing MD. So homebirth with a CNM is no longer a choice in my area (Cincinnati), and many areas. CPM's and DEM's are not a seperate category in Ohio (A CPM is really a certification, an attempt to 'standardize' a level of knowledge for a midwife, and either a DEM or even a CNM could hold that certification, if they chose to)- both are alegal. This does not mean the state can't/won't prosecute a midwife if it wants to.

Minkajane, I think I know who you are referring to. That particular midwife has a master's in nurse midwifery, but is not a CNM because she did not obtain her license. I don't mean to speak for her, but I believe she did not obtain her license intentionally so that she could provide homebirths w/out official physician back up (which is not to say that she doesn't have unofficial backup, as she does.), thus no license for the state to take away should they want to do that. She cannot legally say (nor does she) that she is a CNM providing homebirth. The only CNM's who did homebirths in Cinci were the Northside midwives, and they shut their doors several years ago.

All that said, there are DEMS in the state, and MANA is a great place to find them.
Thank you for clearing that up! I guess at least it's "alegal" rather than illegal ~ even though Ohio seems pretty terrible in this area, there seem to be a lot of states around us that are worse!

Old 10-30-2008, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bethanydear View Post
A CPM is really a certification, an attempt to 'standardize' a level of knowledge for a midwife, and either a DEM or even a CNM could hold that certification, if they chose to
Yup. Several of the midwives on the list I sent are CPM's. My midwife was also a working labor/delivery nurse for a long, long time- so she was an RN, but never a CNM.
Old 10-30-2008, 02:43 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalirush View Post
Yup. Several of the midwives on the list I sent are CPM's. My midwife was also a working labor/delivery nurse for a long, long time- so she was an RN, but never a CNM.
Thanks!

Old 10-31-2008, 02:34 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by haren.13 View Post
Thank you! I just sent them an email so hopefully I will hear back soon!

Thank you for clearing that up! I guess at least it's "alegal" rather than illegal ~ even though Ohio seems pretty terrible in this area, there seem to be a lot of states around us that are worse!
There is NO such thing as "alegal." In states which neither regulate midwives as a separate profession, nor specifically exempt them from the medical/nurse practice acts, midwives may be criminally prosecuted for simply practicing midwifery.

Please consider reading Ida Darragh's excellent essay on the "Myth of the Alegal Midwife" in Chapter 1 of From Calling to Courtroom (fromcallingtocourtroom.net).

Valerie
Former RN
Former CPM
Current 3rd year law student
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM

I am also interested in finding a midwife for a homebirth. I am also looking for suggestions for a CNM if I end up going the hospital route. Anyone have any suggestions for the Cleveland area?

Old 11-04-2008, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-pigeon View Post
Anyone have any suggestions for the Cleveland area?
Yes!

Pam Kolanz, her email can be found here: http://www.icanofgreatercleveland.org/node/12

and Kimberly French, who is at the Homebirth Option of Cleveland

my Midwife is south of Cleveland in the Portage Lakes area, i LOVE her. let me know if you're interested in her or someone else a little south of Cleveland.

you can also talk to Pam about going to this awesome hospital with CNMs, i think its called wadsworth/rittman. it wasn't an option for me because i live in Canton.

i hope this helps you out!
Old 11-04-2008, 07:35 PM

Thanks for the info. Pam had been suggested to me already and I sent her an e-mail today. It is good to hear that multiple people recommend her. Does your midwife travel to Cuyahoga county?

Old 11-04-2008, 08:24 PM

Half pigeon, i PMed you!
Old 11-04-2008, 09:49 PM

I know there are large Amish communities in Ohio and as far as I know they still have home births. Maybe you can find an Amish midwife to assist your home birth. Just a thought.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swissmiss2584 View Post
I know there are large Amish communities in Ohio and as far as I know they still have home births. Maybe you can find an Amish midwife to assist your home birth. Just a thought.
Sadly, a good many of them go to the hospital these days too!! (Many still stay home too though)
Old 11-07-2008, 06:11 PM

This has been SUCH a helpful thread, thanks for posting it. I've been in touch with a couple of CPM's in Cleveland but would like to know who else is out there. It's been a frustrating journey trying to find supportive people - and every naysayer we run into (including my exasperating nurse-practitioner MIL!) only solidifies my DP's quiet opposition to the entire idea of homebirthing. I could use some contact with people who can address his concerns while also making me feel like I'm not schizophrenic.

I'm on Medicaid and I doubt they'll cover any costs for anyone but a CNM or OB who's considered "in network" for my care plan. I think it would make my DP more comfortable if we could meet with a "medical professional" who will tell us a homebirth was a safe idea for us. Not that I give a hoot for what the Professionals tell me - I'm smart enough to do my own research, thankyouverymuch - but he's a big fan of Experts and in his book, I don't count (and neither does my research).

So, here's my question: does anyone know any OB's or CNM's *at all* in the Cleveland area who are supportive of homebirth (even if they won't attend HB's themselves)? And then the second question is: has anyone had a HB with a Northeast Ohio midwife? Would you strongly recommend your midwife? Would you be willing to PM or call me with contact information for her?

AND, this might be a long shot, but... has anyone had a homebirth and had Medicaid cover any of the costs???

*Sigh* Feeling SO close to giving up on this idea... just so much opposition at every turn...

I'm traveling the world with my kids without ever leaving home and blogging about it -- watch, taste, and share our adventures at TheGlobalStayCation.com!
Old 11-07-2008, 07:19 PM

Hi Comtessa!
its so nice to see all these girls from NE Ohio!
as far as i know, no insurances in our area will cover any part of homebirth, but it couldn't hurt to call them up and ask some hard questions!

have you seen The Business of Being Born? you should get it from your library, that might help your DP, because it has medical professionals in it who support HB, but *most* medical professionals in our area frown on birthing at home... you could try contacting Pam Kolanz, she's based in Cleveland, and she knows people.... so she may know a med. prof. you could speak to. also Kimberly French heads up the Home Birth Option of Cleveland, and they have monthly meetings. you could meet someone there to help hook you up with someone.
just google her name and "home birth option of cleveland" and you'll find her info.

this is my first home birth, so i don't have the "experience", but someone opened up all this info to me, so if i can help you further i'd love to pass along more of what, and who i know. my MW is in Akron, and i know another 1 in Akron, those two above mentioned ladies are the only ones i've met/ heard of in Cleveland with a lot of experience.

good luck to you!
Old 11-10-2008, 01:56 PM

Hi there! For those in Cincy seeking a homebirth midwife, you might want to join the cincinnati homebirth yahoo group. We have monthly homebirth circle meetings in Norwood. You can meet other mamas who have had or are planning a homebirth and find contact info for the few midwives in the area. PM me if you want more info!

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:43 AM

greetings to all. how lovely to see the appreciation for birth at home !

In most all neck of the woods here in Ohio, a midwife can be found : ) Asking at your nearest health food store and checking for posts on bulletin boards, inquiring at farmers markets or among homeschool groups usually brings success locating the midwives.

The good news: there's plenty of evidence that Ohio midwifery is alive and well ! Columbus has a group practice whom have carried advertisement in the Cols. yellow pages for a long time. Many OH midwives interact directly & readily with the local registrars at their county health depts. (as midwives cross county-lines...that was meant to state plural contacts). Also, many OH midwives fill out and sign birth certificates, as the State of Ohio Dept. of Health recognizes both the CPM and "lay midwife" in language. Further, a low court provided direct oversight (for three year period) to Freida ******'s midwifery practice as this was part of her plea bargain arrangement for attempted practice of medicine conviction (possession of a dangerous drug, etc.). ~ How does a court mandate the state regulate an illegal activity ? Ah, well, it was a low court.

owlam.org will provide an understanding of Ohio.

Ohio midwives do not enjoy _legal protection_ by state statute (the state does not offer that), nor do they suffer with state statutes that prohibit midwifery. The Ohio Direct Entry Midwifery Study Council's majority recommendations (this was a formal legislative study council) were for the legislature to clear up any ambiguities in law that MAY exist.

If one makes an effort to discover how the great majority of the state's CNMs fare in actual practice ability (remember they have master's degrees,etc., hoops jumped), then there might be a real appeciation for the lowly state of the independent midwife in Ohio ! Homebirth midwifery is alive and well in this state, with some areas covered by practices that are 10, 15, 20, 25 and 30 years old.

~~ wishing you each wonderful and sweet childbearing (pregnancy, labor/birth/postpartum) experiences here in Ohio ~~

User Tag List