Waterbirth moms: Compare Posterior to Anterior Labor Pain in and out of water... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi, I have a question I wonder if some of you may be able to share your experience with me about.

Births so far (all hb)-
#1 landbirth--anterior babe
#2 landbirth--anterior babe
#3 waterbirth (in our large garden tub)--posterior babe who presented posterior

Somehow with my third to actually birth in water. I decided to try it...I've always used the shower as well. My third was also posterior. I spent a large percentage of my laboring time (it hurt for about an hour and a half or so) trying to shove my fists into my back.

When I got into the tub. At first it seemed like the contractions slowed and spaced. But, then within 15 minutes they got even MORE intense and my labor progressed quickly (likely I was in the tub for an hour or so until birth). My second birth was really quick too.

I honestly don't remember labor being better than it was on land, if at all. The location of the contractions was different, more on the lower back, but as far as intensity I seem to remember it being just as intense.

So, I'm wondering--would a posterior labor on land be better or worse than one in the water?

And, for those of you who birthed in and out of the water what did you think of the 'pain relief'. Did it really help with pain relief OR was it more of relaxation aide being in the water?

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 11:53 AM

1- posterior land very strong and painful but unmedicated and only 6 hours so good for a posterior

2 anterior, then posterior in and out of water. i feel like the pain was more intense or sharper out of the water. he was anterior for most of labor and it wasn't too painful at all but once he turned it was intense. (i think i have a weird pelvis or something that makes my babies have to come out posterior, he actually came out posterior also whereas dd presented anterior after being posterior during labor.) i was on land for the last of it because i had my mw break a very persistance and imobile bag of water and once it was out of the way he came very quickly and i just couldn't physically move myself back into the pool. i really wish i could have been in the water for his actual birth because i think it would have helped but that would have been painful no matter what. he was 8'13", posterior, and came from high to out in 15 minutes.

so i say posterior is better in the water (for me all labor is better in the water!) I think it's a combination of relaxation and ease of movement/less gravity.

Sarah-wife, mother, doula, and teacher.
#3 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 12:27 PM

To me, nothing helps alleviate posterior pain with any real impact. It was beyond awful.

My other two anterior labors were definitely helped by the water.
#4 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 01:36 PM
acp

My first was a loooong posterior labor that was beyond painful. I labored in and out of water, and I will say, laboring in water helped quite a bit, and I'm convinced it was the different positions my midwife had me get in that finally helped the babe to turn a bit. It didn't really make that much difference with the pain, but somehow I was a bit more comfortable, if that makes sense? I didn't birth in water since it was a hospital birth and they only had tubs for labor.

This time my big question is whether to get a tub for my homebirth. As much as I love the idea of a waterbirth, right now I'm leaning against, just since we're in a 4th floor walkup city apartment without tons of space, and it seems like more hassle than it's worth, especially since I have a VERY spacious bathtub that should work fine for laboring in (and maybe even for birthing in? I don't know...). I'm SO hoping I don't get a posterior labor again, though.
#5 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatchristy View Post
So, I'm wondering--would a posterior labor on land be better or worse than one in the water?

And, for those of you who birthed in and out of the water what did you think of the 'pain relief'. Did it really help with pain relief OR was it more of relaxation aide being in the water?
Well, for me relaxation = pain relief.
Lots of counter pressure on the hips helped before I got in the tub and hands and knees once I got in the tub with hot water being poured on my back.

I've had two posterior labors both water babies but both turned at the last minute. I have had 2 land births and 3 water births. I would NEVER EVER EVER birth on land again if I could at all help it especially with a posterior baby.

Keri wife and Mama to  Cory 17,  Brendan 15,  Kerianne 8,  Avery 7,  Lilia 3
#6 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StacyL View Post
To me, nothing helps alleviate posterior pain with any real impact. It was beyond awful.

My other two anterior labors were definitely helped by the water.
Yeah, posterior labor just really, really hurts. But to me, it did feel better when I was in the water than when I was on land. I think just because the muscles in my back (which was where I was feeling most of my contractions) didn't have to work as hard to support my body, and because I was more easily able to change position as the baby moved down. I felt like for my posterior labor water really, really helped.

It helped with my second anterior labor too, but it's hard to compare them because they were so different. Again, the positioning, the relaxation and not having to bear my own weight were key for me. Also, emotionally and intellectually, I liked the water for modesty. Everyone wasn't staring at my crotch.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#7 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 07:45 PM

I must be the odd one out. All three of my babies were posterior. I tried water with all of them and I hated it. Now the shower on the other hand was my friend. Loved the shower.

Standing and squatting just felt so much better for me and even though I tried squatting in the tub, it just didn't work for me.

I don't think the pain for me was any different in or out of the water, I just wasn't comfortable in the tub.
#8 of 9 Old 10-16-2008, 01:09 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherHeather View Post
I must be the odd one out. All three of my babies were posterior. I tried water with all of them and I hated it. Now the shower on the other hand was my friend. Loved the shower.

Standing and squatting just felt so much better for me and even though I tried squatting in the tub, it just didn't work for me.

I don't think the pain for me was any different in or out of the water, I just wasn't comfortable in the tub.
No I *loved* the shower too. The thing is, once I got into the tub and been there for a while when I thought about getting out every time I moved it would send me into a contraction (yes, I get like that). So I wound up just giving birth in there! Go figure. But, I totally loved the hot water from the shower pulsating on my back (hand held). That was SOOO good!

Perpetually breastfeeding or pregnant ENFP mom to a lot of kids...wife to a midwestern nice guy...living in tropical paradise...pink cats and homebirths rock!

#9 of 9 Old 10-18-2008, 01:09 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
My youngest son was direct posterior but with no presenting signs. we didn't realize it until I was complete and had already pushed for a few hours. No back labor here, in or out of the tub.

Non Practicing Midwife, going back to school! Mamma to my 3 loves, living each day to the fullest.

User Tag List